PDA

View Full Version : Check-raise the turn?

theblitz
05-10-2005, 05:30 PM
This was my first hand at the table.
Always nice to start with a nice hand.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG ($45.22)
MP ($54.55)
CO ($61.65)
Button ($35.95)
SB ($46.4)
Hero ($50)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, MP calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $0.50, SB (poster) completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4.0</font>, UTG folds, MP calls $3.50, Button folds, SB folds.

Flop: ($9.50) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, MP calls $5.

Turn: ($19.50) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, MP folds.

Final Pot: $34.50

Does anyone check-raise the turn instead of betting out?

Very unlikely he is on aces since he didn't re-raise pre-flop.
I reckon a lower set would probably have raised on the flop.
So, either Kings or flush draw.

And, yes, I probably should have made it 8 on the flop.

BreakfastBurrito
05-10-2005, 05:42 PM
i would bet vital parts of my anatomy that he did not have kings. Something like J9 would be more likely. I don't think you should checkraise the turn. It's better to hope he did hit an ace and will now raise and trap himself or continue to call down drawing dead, while he'll often gladly take the free card on a flush draw but will still likely call a pot sized bet.

TheWorstPlayer
05-10-2005, 05:51 PM
This guy had 66. You're not getting another penny out of him no matter what you do once you hit the turn with your AK. But I only know that since I saw him fold the turn. I think your play is fine. If he has a flush draw, you have to protect. And maybe he IS slowplaying an underset. Or maybe HE has AK and will now raise you. You have no reason to expect him to bet, so I think the check/raise is probably not worth it. If the guy is aggro and will bet a scare card when checked to, then by all means go for it. It will also protect your turn checks in the future. But I don't think it is standard. More to mix it up and trap an aggro player.

swolfe
05-10-2005, 06:01 PM
no, leading out is correct. if he's on a draw, then he's going to check behind.