PDA

View Full Version : Limp AA? Unique situation may warrant it...

Yobz
05-10-2005, 05:24 PM
I'm playing in a 15 game where everyone limps unless there is a raise. I mean almost everyone...like 8 ppl to the flop.
If I raise in EP (before ppl start limping) then it gets folded around.

I have been taking advantage of this by constantly raising PF when it is folded around to me, stealing the blinds.

The problem is that I get good hands and don't get paid off, can I limp AA PF and expect to get lots of callers and then play from there (slowing down or folding if it gets heavy since most players are pretty passive)?

piggity
05-10-2005, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm playing in a 15 game where everyone limps unless there is a raise. I mean almost everyone...like 8 ppl to the flop.
If I raise in EP (before ppl start limping) then it gets folded around.

I have been taking advantage of this by constantly raising PF when it is folded around to me, stealing the blinds.

The problem is that I get good hands and don't get paid off, can I limp AA PF and expect to get lots of callers and then play from there (slowing down or folding if it gets heavy since most players are pretty passive)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Yobz,

Limp-reraising AA to lure one or two opponents in a very tight game makes sense, but I don't know if I'd like to have my AA go up against 8 players.

Sounds like you were taking advantage already by stealing a lot PF, and that seems like the preferred way to increase my AA action..

mrkilla
05-10-2005, 05:40 PM
8 people to the flop with aces = Aces Cracked
If anything its more reason to raise not less.
How will you know where you stand when some some donk calling station calls down with his rag 2 pair...
though every once in awhile probably isnt terrible , but I wouldn't do it as SOP

rigoletto
05-10-2005, 05:50 PM
If you often only win the blinds or gets HU with an EP flop raise and get 6-8 player pots when you limp, I'm pretty sure limping will be correct. Your Aces will not win as often but when they do it'll be some huge pots.

This is obviously a rare table scenario, but with such a huge difference between raising and limping, limping has to give you more EV than raising.

bobbyi
05-10-2005, 05:52 PM
If it were literally true that limping guaranteed that everyone limped and that raising guaranteed that you would pick up the blinds (which I do not believe), then you would make more money with AA by limping. Raising nets you a little less than 1 BB and your EV playing out the hand is certainly higher than that.

Yobz
05-10-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If it were literally true that limping guaranteed that everyone limped and that raising guaranteed that you would pick up the blinds (which I do not believe), then you would make more money with AA by limping. Raising nets you a little less than 1 BB and your EV playing out the hand is certainly higher than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesnt always win the blinds, sometimes (very rare) I get 3-bet or the BB calls...but it is close to being the extreme

aron
05-10-2005, 06:58 PM
But AA agains any number of callers equals nice pot-equity.

-aron

piggity
05-10-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

-aron

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi aron,

Then why would you ever raise AA pre-flop?

rigoletto
05-10-2005, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-aron

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi aron,

[/ QUOTE ]

To build a pot, which fails in this unusual scenario.

piggity
05-10-2005, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-aron

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi aron,

[/ QUOTE ]

To build a pot, which fails in this unusual scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi rigoletto,

As you of course know, simply increasing the size of the pot is not the only reason to raise a premium starting hand preflop. My somewhat rhetorical question to aron was to highlight this fact.

I felt that the proper way to take advantage of this situation was to increase the number of preflop raises as the OP was already starting to do.

(That said, of course I have to agree with you that if the OP's description were taken literally (i.e., raise = all fold, limp = all call), then limping with AA is the most profitable action.)

rigoletto
05-10-2005, 10:36 PM
I agree with your general comment, but have to say that:

[ QUOTE ]
simply increasing the size of the pot is not the only reason to raise a premium starting hand preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

When it comes to AA it pretty much is!

aron
05-11-2005, 06:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-aron

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi aron,

[/ QUOTE ]

As has already been said, to build a big pot while your equity is big. Unless an A falls it goes down drastically on the flop, especially against a large field.
But also to buy the button and gain control of the hand.

If the OP is to be taken litteraly, which I seriously doubt. I'm pretty sure limping in early position would give you rockets the most money. A whole lot less of the pots but larger pots when they come your way.

-aron