PDA

View Full Version : Trip Jacks w/ ace kicker

oLyphant
05-10-2005, 04:24 PM
ok, so this hand really sucked, especially while ive been in a downswing..

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. UTG posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.
bet here is correct..like usual? When he reraised me i wasn't thinking two pair, more like jack with decent kicker.
Turn: (8 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.
Reraise here?
River: (16 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 18 BB

milesdyson
05-10-2005, 04:34 PM
No reads.........................

UTG's play is really confusing, but your thought on the flop that his check raise was a jack with a decent kicker... where does that come from exactly?

Anyway, I would play this hand the same as you did. I expect he has J8 or 88.

jrz1972
05-10-2005, 04:34 PM
I'm betting QJ.

milesdyson
05-10-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm betting QJ.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not including a Q in the hand because I think if he had one he would come out betting the turn. I think he's putting hero on AQ/KQ and knows he will value bet the turn.

2+2 Junkie
05-10-2005, 04:37 PM
since utg is a poster, it is hard to put him on anything. He could have any combo of two pair, but it would be hard to imagine him calling two bets with J8 or Q8, but who knows how fishy he is. He also could have T9 for the straight.
I like the turn here, but it concerns me when he caps.
I would probably have just called the river here as well. You

LowDown22
05-10-2005, 04:37 PM
I'd likely play it the same. The turn checkraise tells me that he's probably got trip Js or better, but you have the best kicker. Once he caps, I think you're beat but you have to call down.

cmwck
05-10-2005, 04:46 PM
Flop: You don't want to give a free card, but then again you don't want to get check-raised either. But, your second pair on a big coordinated board against a SB PF 3-bet doesn't have a lot of equity. I check and revaluate on the turn.

Turn: Hmm.. what the heck is UTG check-raising with. You're only behind to pocket 8s and T9, so I think the 3-bet might be right.

jrz1972
05-10-2005, 04:48 PM
QJ = jacks full.

cmwck
05-10-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
QJ = jacks full.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, right, that too.

Can anyone comment on the flop bet? Does everyone just think that's standard, or are you skipping over it?

milesdyson
05-10-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
QJ = jacks full.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, right, that too.

Can anyone comment on the flop bet? Does everyone just think that's standard, or are you skipping over it?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, we have no reads to go by, but usually SB checking the flop after 3-betting preflop means:

1. he didn't mean to 3-bet preflop and is check folding.
2. he 3-bet preflop with an underpair to the board and is check folding.
3. he 3-bet preflop with an underpair to the board and is check call to the river unless there is significant action.
4. he could have AK and be check calling for his gutshot.
5. he has a good hand and is going to check raise our bet.

The pot is 10 SB when it reaches us on the flop. This is pretty big, and if SB wants to play tricky and check raise me, so be it, but I want to win this pot.

UTG just posted - UTG - so I really wouldn't be concerned about him at all.

I've hand hands where I raised 99 on the button only to be 3-bet by BB and limp reraised by UTG. Flop comes like KT7 and they've both check folded.

jrz1972
05-10-2005, 05:06 PM
I'm also betting this when checked to me. Granted, I may be setting myself up for a checkraise from SB, but at least my hand will have been protected. I dont want to give a free card to AK.

cmwck
05-10-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The pot is 10 SB when it reaches us on the flop. This is pretty big, and if SB wants to play tricky and check raise me, so be it, but I want to win this pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Allright, so maybe we only start thinking of checking behind once the pot size is smaller? Now giving a free card is less devastating, and getting check-raised is more devastating...?

milesdyson
05-10-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Allright, so maybe we only start thinking of checking behind once the pot size is smaller? Now giving a free card is less devastating, and getting check-raised is more devastating...?

[/ QUOTE ]
The pot ain't gonna be smaller if it's 3-handed and a preflop 3-bettor is checking to us on the flop. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

You basically just have to suck it up and bet, unless you ahve a very (very) good read that SB is going to check raise you. If you check behind, you're assuming you're drawing - very hard to do when all he's done is 3-bet preflop and checked the flop.

afk
05-10-2005, 05:28 PM
I probably would have played this hand the same way.

aK13
05-10-2005, 06:52 PM
I highly doubt UTG is playing mid pair (like your read says). Let me remind everyone that HE POSTED IN UTG. Thus, we can tell that he's pretty dumb, and his check/raise usually means monster (as opposed to normal 2+2 check/raises meaning marginal/drawing hand).

However, he didn't bet the turn, so I start to think it was a bluff check/raise, but when he caps the turn, I think he's playing his 88 in the most jacked up way possible (no pun intended).