PDA

View Full Version : Pistons Dunk Yesterday

i wanna be me
05-10-2005, 04:23 PM
why the hell wasn't that dunk by facemask guy that bounced off his head and came back out a basket? the ball was totally below the rim!

namknils
05-10-2005, 04:25 PM
I thought it should have counted, but the announcers explained that the refs said it was offensive basket interference. The ball has to come all the way through the net for it to count, and they said it didn't get all the way through the net before it hit his head and bounced out.

Victor
05-10-2005, 04:26 PM
it has to clear the net, clearly.

this happens from time to time, usually on freethrows, where the ball will touch only the net in such a trajectory that the net, rather than swoosh, will actually snap the ball back through the rim.

not the same scenario as last night but he same principle.

Badboyy
05-10-2005, 04:45 PM
Deeeeeeeeeetroit Basketballll.. fear the fro, that was a clear dunk but whatevers we still bitch smack Indi . Pistons in 5.

miajag81
05-10-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

this happens from time to time, usually on freethrows, where the ball will touch only the net in such a trajectory that the net, rather than swoosh, will actually snap the ball back through the rim.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

pryor15
05-10-2005, 05:17 PM
as others have pointed out, it has to go all the way through the net. that free throw thing, i'm not sure i've ever seen that happen.

i wanna be me
05-10-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The ball has to come all the way through the net for it to count

[/ QUOTE ]

that might be the MOST retarded rule in the world

reminds me of a couple years ago in PGA Q-school where this guy was on the 18th hole and had to make this 3 footer to make the PGA - he made it, but the ball bounced back out - and he didn't get his card.

Victor
05-10-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so, in your league, i will just stand under the hoop and hit it back as soon it clears the rim but while its still goin thru the net.

i wanna be me
05-10-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so, in your league, i will just stand under the hoop and hit it back as soon it clears the rim but while its still goin thru the net.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, in my league, once the ball passes through the rim it'd be a basket (the way you outline it is EXACTLY why I think having to wait until it goes through the mesh is a stupid rule - but obviously in your example it would be called defensive interference anyways).

my problem is that an OBVIOUS basket was called off cause of some retarded rule - although I really don't care /images/graemlins/confused.gif

I just don't get how illogical rules get in the rule books of major sports leagues.

mmbt0ne
05-10-2005, 06:16 PM
The exact same problem could still occur had Rip jumped a little higher in his dunk. Your solution is stupid and solves nothing.

i wanna be me
05-10-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The exact same problem could still occur had Rip jumped a little higher in his dunk. Your solution is stupid and solves nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

MY solution is to, if the ball has trajectory such that without outside influence the ball will undoubtedly pass through the rim for a basket - it should be a basket

DBowling
05-10-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MY solution is to, if the ball has trajectory such that without outside influence the ball will undoubtedly pass through the rim for a basket - it should be a basket

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you. I dont understand why if the ENTIRE ball clears the rim, it doesnt count. I could understand otherwise. Perhaps there is a point to the rule that we are missing.