PDA

View Full Version : Strategy vs stealers?

bufrakbh
05-10-2005, 04:13 PM
Hi

I just played 0,5/1 limit at Pacific. At my right was one player who kept stealing the pot, and later there was another to my left. The other players at the table kept folding, so Im not completely sure, but they kept winning hands without showing them, when I looked at the history, and when they sometimes showed their cards they had something like a lucky 9 on the river to win with a pair of 9. My instinct was to just play "theorectical" correct (or as close as I currently can). However I kept getting crappy cards, and in the end I began considering raising there bets, even if I didnt have any special cards. At some point I went a little on tilt, and shortly after stopped playing as I was getting unsure how to play.

Do anybody have any comments, that comes to mind when you read this?

cmwck
05-10-2005, 04:21 PM
I'm not really sure what you're talking about.
Post one or two hands from that session that you have specific questions on. Make sure to include reads.

@bsolute_luck
05-10-2005, 04:32 PM
#1: Find a new table. A table that tight, it just isn't worth the time.

#2: do more 3-bets when in the blinds to defend (not totally stupid hands like 27o).

#3: watch their postflop play. could you semi-bluff/bluff them off with early aggression or do they call down with nothing?

there are a lot of factors for play. but, i'd find a new table or quit once on tilt. let them steal those petty blinds anyways if you're not in them. play the solid game besides that.

crownjules
05-10-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However I kept getting crappy cards, and in the end I began considering raising there bets, even if I didnt have any special cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't recommend doing this as your hands will degenerate into nothing more than a crapshoot as to who can hit the better hand, totally eliminating the edge you hold through your starting hand requirements.

If you're talking about a blind defense situation, you want to have a somewhat decent hand to defend with. It doesn't have to be something like KK, AQ, QJ, etc. If he's stealing every opportunity that he can, then most likely he's got junk cards and is hoping that you're tight play will dictate that you fold. Something like A9o or K8s is a great hand to make a stand against him. Pop him with a 3-bet and you'll have him rethinking about trying to steal your blinds in the future.

Thriller
05-10-2005, 04:46 PM
I've found that at the smallest of limits up to .5/1, the original raiser takes the position of "It's just $x anyways.

I can understand the blind defense if it is happening very frequently, but I'm not sure that 3-bet back at the stealer will be respected at the uber micro limits.

bufrakbh
05-10-2005, 04:47 PM
Im new, so I apologies for not using the "correct" words /images/graemlins/smile.gif

So to clarify:

1. They didnt steal blinds, they bet with practicly nothing on the flop then turn then river, and then the other players just folded at the turn.

2. I thoght about leaving the table, but it was generally very loose. A lot of players playing there cards until the turn, where they folded. Would you still change table?

3. One of them could be intimidated by a bet, and then fold fast, but the other just kept betting (and suddenly lost his bankroll, because of a better hand from a third player - that was my idea, just to wait until a got a good hand, and then win over him).

Does that help you giving me advice?

kiddj
05-10-2005, 04:52 PM
Sounds like you just got stuck between two lags. (No pun intended.) Run a search on playing with aggressive people, or something similar, and you'll probably find a detailed discussion.

TripleH68
05-10-2005, 04:53 PM
Every table will have a different mix of players. While you should adjust your game to suit the conditions, you still need to play your game.

You are correct in thinking "just give me a hand or two and I will get this guy's chips." You should also be looking for spots where you can push smaller edges. Variance will be higher though and you will need to learn to keep from letting short term results affect you.

Good luck. Read and respond.