PDA

View Full Version : Thank you gigabet

jah0550
05-10-2005, 02:22 PM
I recently read your thread on taking notes on every player at the table. I usually 4 table, but on your advice, I tried to take detailed notes on every player, so I single tabled. If anyone else has not tried this, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND DOING SO. My notes were extremely useful especially around the bubble and once we were ITM. I coasted into 1st almost too easily.
Once again, thank you Giga.
-jah0550

gumpzilla
05-10-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm sorry, but is this really news? Do people really not know the value of reads, and that taking notes is a good way to assess what your reads are on each player and have them stored for later? And do you think that "coasting into 1st" once means that all it takes to get a 75% ROI is extensive note taking while playing?

Voltron87
05-10-2005, 02:25 PM
Yeah, gigabet is the first person to ever think of this or suggest it. Nobody else does it.

This is his and your little secret.

jah0550
05-10-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And do you think that "coasting into 1st" once means that all it takes to get a 75% ROI is extensive note taking while playing?

[/ QUOTE ]
yep

ferb
05-10-2005, 04:34 PM
ya but who wants to single table? take "detailed" notes on all players while 4-tabling and ill be impressed.

tminus
05-10-2005, 05:33 PM
while the game's going on i read the history and fill this little template out for each foe:
--------------------------------------
1bet flop bet = (weakness/probe)
Flop check =
Folds blinds to nn bets

Limps
EarlyPostn MiddlePostn LatePostn
L1
L2
L3
L4
L5

Raises - nn bets
L1
L2
L3
L4
L5

1C5
05-10-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
while the game's going on i read the history and fill this little template out for each foe:
Flop check =
Folds blinds to nn bets

Limps
L1
L2
L3
L4
L5

Raises - nn bets
L1
L2
L3
L4
L5

[/ QUOTE ]

you are insane.

scott8
05-10-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Flop check =
Folds blinds to nn bets

Limps
L1
L2
L3
L4
L5

Raises - nn bets
L1
L2
L3
L4
L5

[/ QUOTE ]

you are insane.

[/ QUOTE ]

This made me laugh.

DonButtons
05-10-2005, 09:55 PM
lmao

Bigwig
05-10-2005, 10:00 PM
I don't take many notes. Last night I opened a note I had on a player. It said: Dumb f***. Came in handy.

flopquints
05-10-2005, 10:00 PM
ahh...hearty hearty laughter...same thing happens to me

Misfire
05-10-2005, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't take many notes. Last night I opened a note I had on a player. It said: Dumb f***. Came in handy.

[/ QUOTE ]

That must have been me. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ewing55
05-10-2005, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That must have been me. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. It could of been me.

I just got Poker Prophecy. It doesn't do much for my confidence when I pull up the stats on a table and see myself listed at the bottom of the win percentage! That's OK, I'm getting used to it.

They just updated my stats. I went from 89 games to 90 games played. My statw went down. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif Nevermind....

----------Jeff

PS. Thank Gigabet. I know I should take notes. Every reminder helps keep me focused. My stats *are* improving!

octaveshift
05-10-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

you are insane.

[/ QUOTE ]

Insane about winning!

tminus
05-10-2005, 11:47 PM
thank you, that was kind

tminus
05-10-2005, 11:59 PM
i imagine this if funny if you've been playing for a long time but this is part of my learning curve and ive learned a lot by it

Matt R.
05-11-2005, 12:08 AM
If I correctly remember the thread that you're referring to, I don't think his main point (or at least his most useful idea) was that you should take detailed notes on every player. Sure, this is useful to a point, but it's also more time than it's worth if you get too detailed. I think I remember the thread stating that you should constantly review hand histories of your games and try to get inside the heads of your opponents. Learn how they think, why they made certain plays, etc. Then think about how you can take advantage of this. Figuring out WHY they did something is far more useful than having a note that says they do "x" in situation "y". Poker is ultimately about figuring out how your opponents are thinking, and then taking advantage of this (at least at the highest level, once you get beyond the simple math).

octaveshift
05-11-2005, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i imagine this if funny if you've been playing for a long time but this is part of my learning curve and ive learned a lot by it

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep it up. It's a good habit to get into, even if you _are_ playing at the play money tables.

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

tminus
05-11-2005, 01:18 AM
"Poker is ultimately about figuring out how your opponents are thinking, and then taking advantage of this "

- Thanks matt, that is ground breaking news for me and im glad that you took the time out of your day to teach me this

"Figuring out WHY they did something is far more useful than having a note that says they do "x" in situation "y".

- Again, thank you, youre absolutely right. My original strategy was to not think at all while playing and simply enter raw data into this template so I can use it as a look-up-table. Now, with help from you and Misfire, I see that I must abandon this plan and learn to think on my own.

I'd be so grateful if you could explain the rest of gigabets thread because Im not capable of reading the long words on my own.

dhende3
05-11-2005, 02:34 AM
Ok, the guy is one of the best online players in the world but certainly no the omnipotent god of poker. It certainly isn't a novel idea to take notes and concentrate on every hand in an SNG. Giga can do this 8 tabling apparently which, of course, is excellent given he is playing the best competition. Personally, I (and I'm sure most 22-55ers) play SNGs because I can win against inferior players using a pure mathematical approach while watching TV and talking on IM etc.

Degen
05-11-2005, 03:22 AM
you guys obviously haven't read the article he was referring to...might wanna do that before you start flaming this guy.

Andre

Degen
05-11-2005, 03:26 AM
there was a lot in that article (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1825403&page=&view=&s b=5&o=) that was of great utility to me, but i think what the OP was referring to was Giga saying that he pays attention to every hand of every table that he is on, not just the hands he is involved in.

Andre

tminus
05-11-2005, 11:33 AM
"Personally, I (and I'm sure most 22-55ers) play SNGs because I can win against inferior players using a pure mathematical approach"

- well, looks like I have very different objectives in this game than you and and SAABPO

octaveshift
05-11-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
well, looks like I have very different objectives in this game than you and and SAABPO

[/ QUOTE ]

DOMO ARIGATO MISTER SAAAB PO

DOMO DOMO
DOMO DOMO

Matt R.
05-11-2005, 02:38 PM
First of all, I wasn't responding to you, I was responding to the original poster. Secondly, you need to quit being an asshat. I'm sure you are great at getting inside other people's heads and all, and acting accordingly (as evidenced by your "template"... lol), but I was simply responding to the OP that it's more important to use whatever notes you take to understand your opponents better as opposed to just knowing what they do in very specific situations. My point was that notes should eventually take a back seat to simply thinking about how each hand was played out. There's a difference between just note taking and really "knowing" your opponent. You don't necessarily need detailed notes to do the latter. But thanks for your input tminus, I'm sure Barry Greenstein refers to his template too when he's in a difficult hand with Chip Reese at the $4K/8K game. As far as explaining the rest of Gigabet's thread to you, I don't feel like re-reading it at the moment. Maybe you should just enter it into your template and refer to it while you're playing?

tminus
05-11-2005, 02:57 PM
beep beep boop bip

hey, is he Dr. Zachary Smith ?

tminus
05-11-2005, 03:22 PM
sorry matt, you were caught in the crossfire

Matt R.
05-11-2005, 03:25 PM
No worries, sorry about the response. I think I took it a little too personally.

dhende3
05-11-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Personally, I (and I'm sure most 22-55ers) play SNGs because I can win against inferior players using a pure mathematical approach"

- well, looks like I have very different objectives in this game than you and and SAABPO

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know saabpo had such a vibrant social life....