PDA

View Full Version : Back Jackpot Jay

danvh
05-10-2005, 12:49 PM
The way he explains it, I dont see how you couldnt give him the 10 grand.

Here (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lovinger/050510&num=0)

Kevmath
05-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Reading the column, it sounds like another of JJ's poor attempts at being funny.

Kevin...

IronDragon1
05-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Back your car over Jackpot Jay

Now that's an offer that would have some takers

Jordan Olsommer
05-10-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I'm looking for a backer to pay my way into the World Series of Poker championship event – the standard deal, the same one Stuey Ungar got from Billy Baxter back in 1997, full payment of the $10,000 buy-in, in exchange for 50 percent of the profits.

Since The Kid won the whole thing that year, for a record-tying third championship in the main event, it turned out to be a pretty good deal for Baxter. Stuey won $1 million, meaning Baxter got $500,000, or a 4,900 percent net return on his investment. Well, that's nothing compared with the possibilities for anyone with the imagination and foresight to back me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and you're nothing compared to Stuey Ungar.

There's absolutely no reason to seek backers for your WSOP seat if the reason you're looking for backers is "I don't have the money" - if you have any shot at all at winning the Main Event, then you certainly shouldn't have much trouble winning a seat via a satellite track.

Lawrence Ng
05-11-2005, 05:03 PM
I'd back my dog in the WSOP before I'd back Jackpot Jay.

Lawrence

ismisus
05-12-2005, 08:21 AM
best line

[ QUOTE ]
Let Jackpot Jay live your dream for you

[/ QUOTE ]

RIGHT, LOL, i'm going let some stranger live my dream

samjjones
05-12-2005, 04:15 PM
Believe it or not, ESPN2/Jackpot Jay has a lot of readers. It might be worth it to someone to front him the $10K in exchange for the promotion/exposure they would receive in a series of articles.

ttleistdci
05-12-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Believe it or not, ESPN2/Jackpot Jay has a lot of readers. It might be worth it to someone to front him the $10K in exchange for the promotion/exposure they would receive in a series of articles.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way would I pay $10k to have my name associated with Jackpot Jay. As far as I can tell from other comments and such on these boards, there are two kinds of people that actually read his columns word for word:

1. Poker noobs who don't know any better. They read ESPN.com and figure anyone who ESPN has writing about poker must be an expert.
2. Experienced players who read his columns for the satisfaction of berating him via e-mail and pointing out the many gaping holes in his play.

Anyone with half a brain will not front this guy $10k.

I hope we don't have any more posts about how it might be ok to front Jay the money.

kenberman
05-12-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. Poker noobs who don't know any better. They read ESPN.com and figure anyone who ESPN has writing about poker must be an expert.

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't think poker rooms see value in attracting these types of people?

$10,000 is a small price to pay for repeated exposure to a targeted market and probable TV time. I'd be very surprised if a poker room doesn't sponsor him.

it's strictly an advertising cost; if a room can get around 70 new players b/c of this sponsorship, it's worth their while. given his readership, that is very doable.

Equal
05-12-2005, 10:51 PM
Someome alert GoldenPalace.com!

Jordan Olsommer
05-12-2005, 11:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Man those guys are great - they bought a piece of toast from me for $10,000!

ttleistdci
05-12-2005, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Man those guys are great - they bought a piece of toast from me for $10,000!

[/ QUOTE ]

And I let them write their web address on my stomach while I was pregnant.

pryor15
05-13-2005, 01:18 AM
and considering he works for espn, you think he might be on the air just a little bit?

that is, assuming he doesn't get busted on the first hand. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jordan Olsommer
05-13-2005, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and considering he works for espn, you think he might be on the air just a little bit?

that is, assuming he doesn't get busted on the first hand. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

They'll just edit him into the final table.

Greenscreen, baby!