PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare Before Christmas

DavidC
05-10-2005, 11:02 AM
I love this film.

Are there any more like it?

Please give suggestions / feel free to rave about the film. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

--Dave.

istewart
05-10-2005, 11:05 AM
It was quite a good movie. Haven't seen it in many years, though.

Pocket Trips
05-10-2005, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I love this film.

Please give suggestions / feel free to rave about the film. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

--Dave.

[/ QUOTE ]

best thing Tim Burton has ever done... come to think of it y wasn't he m,entioned in the director's thread? n/m i think i just answered my own question

[ QUOTE ]
best thing Tim Burton has ever done

[/ QUOTE ]

Nottom
05-10-2005, 11:07 AM
I liked the movie but I think people like to make it out to be a lot better than it really is.

Phoenix1010
05-10-2005, 11:10 AM
I loved it. It's really a classic. Best thing Tim Burton's done... I'm not so sure of that. Actually, I think Burton is responsible for the new stop motion claymation movie that looks really similar. I forgot what it's called but it looks promising.

Stupendous_Man
05-10-2005, 11:35 AM
I liked the movie as well, but haven't seen it in a long time.

peachy
05-10-2005, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I love this film.

--Dave.

[/ QUOTE ]

he has a new one comin out like it...i think its called the courpse bride - its got johnny depp in it. But i never saw nightmare before xmas though

Blarg
05-10-2005, 04:51 PM
Me too.

And I bought it, I liked it so much.

I think a big part of its failings are the songs by Danny Elfman. I love Elfman going way back to his Oingo Boingo days and think he's fantastically talented, but the decision to make Nightmare so stuffed with incessant songs that it was practically a musical wasn't a great one, and demanded uniformly excellent songs. The songs instead were generally average at best, with some, like "What's this?", that were real groaners and about as bad and pointless as you'd ever expect a song to get. Reminded me of that Andrew Lloyd Weber crap where you sing about nothing in particular, with no rhythm at all, just talking your way through almost like it's a bluff and you hope someone will think it's a song when it isn't. Where you wonder if you're the only one who notices the Emperor has no clothes.

Cry Me A River
05-10-2005, 05:35 PM
Nightmare is awesome. You should try and find "Vincent" a short film by Tim Burton which predates Nightmare and has a similar look and feel.

Blarg
05-10-2005, 05:38 PM
It's on the Nightmare DVD.

Phoenix1010
05-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Jack's lament is a great song. Not disagreeing with your general statement, but I like some of the songs.

Blarg
05-10-2005, 05:48 PM
I like some of the songs too. But when I saw it in the theater, pretty much everyone was agreeing that there were too many songs and they were way too uneven. I think Elfman's a monster talent, though, and some of the songs were good. Doesn't take many bad apples to taint the barrel, though.

I still like the movie, and bought it, and watched it several times.

DavidC
05-10-2005, 10:45 PM
Just curious...

Anything like this from any other directors?

Someone else showed a claymation "More" here a few days ago. Good stuff there too.

Thanks for the suggestions... i'm going to have to get the dvd now. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

--Dave.

theBruiser500
05-10-2005, 11:19 PM
blarg i completely disagree with you. loved the movie and love the soundtrack, listen to it constantly on my computer all the songs are great.