PDA

View Full Version : Overcoming Money Management tilt

Mollari_Uk
05-10-2005, 10:29 AM
I've just read the magazine article on Money Management. I've just started doing this online and it's really working for me.

Now before you all go an tell me that I didn't read the article properly I'll explain my problem.

When I begin to win pots I tend to go on tilt. I start to play more loose and end up loosing what I've just won. I've recently lost all my bankroll before doing any MM. So I started again, deposited $100 on Party Poker, started leaving the table before I go on tilt when I'm up. Now I'm making a profit where I never did before.

Perhaps I'm just getting better, but how do I beat this type of tilt so I can stop Money Managing and keep playing well when the table is good?

timmer
05-10-2005, 09:13 PM
Yeah Happy tilt it can be a killer . brought on basically by greed or Ego.

after you win a big pot sit up straight in your chair take three slow deep breaths . As deep as you can into your belly let your diaphram drop down pause a second the slowly let the air our through your mouth.

reflect on the action you made that brought about your winning the pot and specific bets. focus on how your good game is gaining you profit. Vow to keep playing your A game.

Incidentally you can do this after losing a pot or anytime.

it will keep you calm clearheaded and focused.

It really really works.

BoxLiquid
05-11-2005, 04:11 AM
tilting isn't that big of a problem. Sklansky said that a lot of pros tilt but their skills overcome this problem. So, really it's all about discipline. Receiving bad beats triggers my tilt. Getting better at controlling it though /images/graemlins/cool.gif

k_squared
05-11-2005, 01:34 PM
just because a lot of pros tilt and are able to overcome this and still make a profit does not mean it isn't a big problem. Tilt is a problem because it makes you a worse player. Sure some players could still win if they folded AA every time, but that doesn't mean that they should...

-k_squared

ACW
05-12-2005, 07:40 AM
If failing to bank winning sessions is capable of cleaning out your bankroll, I'd suggest you have a much more serious money management problem than you realise.

If you're playing no limit or tournaments, the following applies :
Proper money management means not committing a high fraction of your bankroll to any single buy-in. You will get runs of 10 straight buy-in losses, and that can't be allowed to bust your bankroll. Most players advise between 20 and 50 buy-ins.

If you're playing limit cash games, you have a problem that your bankroll can't sustain the limits you play at. Tilt will make this problem worse, but is rarely enough to bust you if you have a bankroll appropriate to your win-rate.

NiceCatch
05-12-2005, 05:16 PM
Hmmm... this "Happy Tilt" I think might be a limit thing. I've played no-limit online for the last year or so, and slowly but surely I've been cured of the various types of tilt. The more I play, the more the beats (and big wins) just kind of don't impact me. Obviously bankroll considerations are huge.

I think tilt is pretty connected to patience. I know in NL that alot of people sit around waiting for AA and KK, and when they finally get them and they get busted, crazy monkey tilt follows. I've adopted a style where I play alot of hands, and tilt is a much less serious issue than it used to be.