PDA

View Full Version : Knowing when to go against the book

Gustavo
05-10-2005, 05:52 AM
Good Read on him, This guy have shown maniac tendencies , and have allined out of the blue preflop , he´s a maniac and a calling station. im 90% sure he will call my allin , in a flush draw , overpair , top pair , and str8 draw.
And with such a scary board with so many draws i dont want him scared , i want him to put the money in the pot RIGHT NOW

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG ($53.75)
UTG+1 ($32.30)
MP1 ($25.80)
MP2 ($59.80)
CO ($134.60)
Button ($55.50)
Hero ($47.25)
BB ($50)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($2) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $4</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, MP1 calls $21.30 (All-In).

Turn: ($57.30) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($57.30) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $57.30

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP1 has 9h 9c (one pair, nines).
Hero has 6d 7d (two pair, sevens and sixes).
Outcome: Hero wins $57.30. </font>

-Skeme-
05-10-2005, 05:54 AM
Useless post.

Gustavo
05-10-2005, 05:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Useless post.

[/ QUOTE ]

I respect your opinion , but i think this is a good example when to go agaisnt the book , and why reads are so important.

kongo_totte
05-10-2005, 05:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Useless post.

[/ QUOTE ]

I respect your opinion , but i think this is a good example when to go agaisnt the book , and why reads are so important.

[/ QUOTE ]

What book is this going against? This looks fairly standard with your read. I have never read a book tha says "ignore your reads".

Your raise is just above pot-sized. I might play the same against a short stack without a read.

-Skeme-
05-10-2005, 05:59 AM
How is this going against the book? Are making unorthodox plays based on your opponent not included in the book? You knew he'd call with anything so you pushed.. and he called, you win. Nice hand. Not really useful, however I do respect your intention of creating a useful post to help others. For all I know it will help others, so I'll stop replying now.

nh

Gustavo
05-10-2005, 06:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How is this going against the book? Are making unorthodox plays based on your opponent not included in the book? You knew he'd call with anything so you pushed.. and he called, you win. Nice hand. Not really useful, however I do respect your intention of creating a useful post to help others. For all I know it will help others, so I'll stop replying now.

nh

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasnt trying to look a smart ass , i honestly tought the post might have some valuable info for some beginner players that read this board. If im wrong i have no problem to admit it .

imported_billibons
05-10-2005, 06:28 AM
Sorry guys, I'm a newbie. how should the villian play the flop? - fold at rerase 30? what should he do if amount of rerase wasn't 30 but 6 - anyway fold?

PoBoy321
05-10-2005, 06:32 AM
Villain's flop raise is fine, but he really has to fold if he gets any more action. A bare pair of 9s, even as an overpair, can't stand a lot of heat.

-Skeme-
05-10-2005, 07:00 AM
No problem, I wasn't calling you a smart ass or implying you were being one. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

bkholdem
05-10-2005, 08:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry guys, I'm a newbie. how should the villian play the flop? - fold at rerase 30? what should he do if amount of rerase wasn't 30 but 6 - anyway fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

A problem that a lot of newer players have (until they get spanked enough- i.e. loose their stack enough) is to not re-evaluate on each street and after each action.

"I have KK and wasn't raised preflop, no high cards on board- I must have the best hand, villian doen't know what he is doing pushing": Then he shows AA or a set.

Raise with AA. "Cutoff called my 6x big blind raise so he must have a medium-big pair or AK". Flop comes 567 and cutoff pushes- "haha he must have queens or something similar"- he wins with 67 or 89. You don't do it so you don't consider other players doing it.

Mr. 99 will stop calling all in's like that eventually unless he is a serious gambling junkie or the money doesn't mean anything to him (like calling an all in in a penny nickle game with grade schoolers because it amuses you).