PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good river bet?

FreakDaddy
05-10-2005, 02:57 AM
I really had a difficult time placing villian on a solid range of hands. I was thinking AK after the turn call, but really couldn't nail anything down in my hand as far as a range went. Villian was pretty laggy and liked to make moves, so I went with a 2/3 bet. Does this seem reasonable or should I have just pushed and hoped?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG ($31.1)
UTG+1 ($24.6)
MP1 ($34.95)
<font color="#C00000">MP2 ($40.65)</font>
CO ($26.15)
Button ($47.6)
SB ($24.46)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($42.05)</font>

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $1.1</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.85.

Flop: ($2.30) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.5</font>, MP2 calls $1.50.

Turn: ($5.30) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, MP2 calls $3.

River: ($11.30) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7</font>, MP2 calls $7.

Final Pot: $25.30

TheWorstPlayer
05-10-2005, 03:21 AM
I'm probably check/calling the turn here. And I might check/raise the flop. What you don't want is to bet the turn and get raised because then you are just bloating the pot OOP and are going to have to check/fold the river if you miss. Either make a play which might get someone to fold or just play it passively and hope to get paid off when you hit. Nice river though.

FreakDaddy
05-10-2005, 03:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm probably check/calling the turn here. And I might check/raise the flop. What you don't want is to bet the turn and get raised because then you are just bloating the pot OOP and are going to have to check/fold the river if you miss. Either make a play which might get someone to fold or just play it passively and hope to get paid off when you hit. Nice river though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the flop call is loose OOP, but the raise was weak and the player wasn't that great post flop. My theory on passivity is: don't do it at the 25/50 NL level. My reasoning for leading out here is that even for $3 if villian doesn't have an ace, he may drop and if I'm behind he may call giving me the correct odds to see the next card. If he raises, then I probably drop the hand. Yeah, river is sweet, but what do you think about the bet?

TheWorstPlayer
05-10-2005, 03:31 AM
I like it more if it is full pot. I don't think anyone is folding any pair that they called with on the flop for that weak bet on the turn.

FreakDaddy
05-10-2005, 03:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like it more if it is full pot. I don't think anyone is folding any pair that they called with on the flop for that weak bet on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I aggree. So I'm concluding that you think a push here is a wash then?

TheWorstPlayer
05-10-2005, 03:58 AM
Are you suggesting pushing $35 into a $5 pot? No, I don't like that play.

FreakDaddy
05-10-2005, 04:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you suggesting pushing $35 into a $5 pot? No, I don't like that play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, the pot is a little over $11 and villian has some kind of a solid hand.
Side note: he had AA. Although I didn't place him on that.

TheWorstPlayer
05-10-2005, 04:07 AM
I thought you were talking about the turn! On the river I might overbet, yeah. I think your bet is fine, but if you like to overbet a lot and people have seen that then this is a good spot for it, I suppose. Although to a solid player I think an overbet here would look more like a flush than anything else. Obviously it can also look like a bluff though and I am certainly not laying down AAA to it!