PDA

View Full Version : Getting better at poker

pokerrookie
05-10-2005, 01:00 AM
I have been thinking lately as I struggle to confidently make the leap from micro to small stakes holdem.

One of the important goals for the players on this forum is to make money. Very often, and equally important, perhaps secondary goal is to become a better poker player. It follows that as you get better, you can beat higher limits, and then you can make more money (goal 1).

However, for myself, and it seems others, there is a psychological barrier to making a jump up in levels. I know that some will say, if you aren't ready to make the jump, then you must not be good enough, mentally strong enough. So anyway, what I do for this is stay at the comfortable levels...those levels where I can "crush" the game, and when the cards do run cold, I am not losing the proverbial shirt. It seems then that one way to learn would be to jump directly in the highest limit, toughest game you can find. This would, of course, be bankroll suicide and would quickly get you away from the table altogether. Paying for your lessons, I think is what they call this. With an unlimited bankroll, after doing this a few times, you would learn some serious lessons, and eventually become a decent poker player. With an unlimited bankroll, the goal of making money is moot, however.

These ramblings lead me to an idea. What if a group of 9 people hired a small stakes "expert" to play with us at a manageable limit? Why should we avoid experts to make more money, when sitting with them would prep us for the higher limits. I would like to think I play a game that could beat the 5/10 game, as I am sure others feel the same. How will we know this until we sit with each other, and include some 5/10 experts and give it a go. I have sat anonymously at one twoplustwo table, thinking I would get a nice challenging match. I think I doubled up by playing my normal style. Does this mean I am better than them...I say no way! This was a serious lagfest, and I have heard this is very typical. I actually felt like I gained nothing from this experience, with the exception of the good times I had acting as if I had just stumbled into this shark tank...even had a post asking for me to identify myself. Pretty humorous, yes, but increasing my skill at poker, nah.

So here's the idea. A group of 8 micro players, with ambition of making the 3/6 and higher games get together at 0.5/1 (I think any lower, and it turns into a "lagfest"). We invite 2 people who claim to be crushing the 3/6 or higher games. We play for some predetermined time limit, say 2 hours (any shorter would result in a far too small sample for the experts to judge our play). We could play at a site like Absolute Poker, only because it allows us to show our folded cards. We could then have running chat, led by the experts, of course, to explain how we screwed up, how we played well, and most importantly whether our play would be good at the higher limits. Are there leaks in our game which make money at the fish fest micros but might be exploited big time at the higher limits? At the end of the session, we all send our hand histories to the "experts" for a brief review and further critique advice on our play. Now where do these experts come from? I have no real idea who the experts are...you guys can help me out with that. Heck, anyone that considers themselves an expert, PM me, and you are in. I would like to have someone that is beating the 3/6 to 5/10 game for say 1.8-2 BB/100, but beggers can't be choosers. Also, with 8 of us playing, the expert would get to keep all that he wins from us, and I would be willing to throw 10 bucks his way for his time. If all 8 of us pitch in 10 bucks, the two experts get 40 bucks for two hours. Surely they could be making more than that by playing themselves, but guaranteed money, is well, guaranteed. B/c we are paying for the knowledge, I would expect the expert to play only our table, so he/she can give full attention.

Amyway, you guys get the idea. Is there any interest in a serious (not chip spewing) poker game amongst people that consider themselves good, and want to get better, but have some hesitations to learning by fire? And are there any experts willing to give us the lessons at the table, for a measly 20 bucks an hour, or if feeling extremely generous, for free. Or is this just the dumbest idea anyone has ever proposed?

Isura
05-10-2005, 01:23 AM
I'm not sure about hiring higher limit players, but I've also been interested in organizing a regular (weekly) serious 2+2 .5/1 or 1/2 game. It should also be at a site such as Stars which has lower rake than Party. Stars also has .5/1 6 max so it could provide a cheap way to learn SH play as well. I understand that 2+2 has a regular 10+1 SNG, and that these games have been a training tool several succesful STT players.

pokerrookie
05-10-2005, 01:24 AM
I know its long.

Short proposal: Experienced higher limit player plays with group of micros. Teaches us how to play at higher limits. Maybe gets paid. Bankroll is safe. Micro-players become experts and take over the world of high stakes poker.

Opinions?

pokerrookie
05-10-2005, 01:26 AM
Bumped it before I saw your post. Glad someone is listening. I agree...if we can't find an "expert" then playing a serious game is a good idea. But, I would like a serious game where dialog is OK, even though it may give away reads etc. Meaning, we could have running commentary on why we made the plays we made.

pokerrookie
05-10-2005, 01:27 AM
And any site is fine for me. I have accounts at most places and have been banned from very few. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

emitch
05-10-2005, 01:28 AM
I don't know if I consider myself good yet, but I would be interested in an arrangement like this. Let me know what you find out.

mitch

UATrewqaz
05-10-2005, 01:28 AM
My #1 goal is getting better. I have a very good job and a whole lot of disposable income and could easily play 3/6 or 5/10 with a more than adequate bankroll but I'd just be pissing it away. I barely beat .5/1 right now (I'm getting better though, read TTOP and SSHE within the past month finally). Tonight I won $53 at .5/1, whoopie do, but it's 53BB a very good session. My goal like yours is to improve at lower limits and progress, so eventually I can make a little real money.

Although I have pulled down over 2K the last 5 months playing online (1K in winnings from .5/1 + some higher limits when I felt courageous + SNG's (only about 20 of them but I have rocked them hard, finishing 1st about 50%) and 1K bonuses).

12ozLongneck
05-10-2005, 01:29 AM
I would also be interested in a serious weekly micro-limit game. The LAGfests are fun, but they're decidedly -EV.

milesdyson
05-10-2005, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would also be interested in a serious weekly micro-limit game. The LAGfests are fun, but they're decidedly -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]
-EV if you're a dumb LAG... super +EV if you play for real.

sin808
05-10-2005, 01:30 AM
This sounds alot like the private 2+2 tables we used to have on Thursdays (before they turned into hollywood home game donkfests).

pokerrookie
05-10-2005, 01:34 AM
Well if we get the right people, and it seems like there is interest, this might happen. I just watched a minute of the "serious" 2+2 .02/.04 game at Stars. It was capped preflop, winner shows down two pair with his K8o on a board with a four flush. Maybe he had reads, but this is the kind of thing I would like to avoid, unless of course, this is routine at the higher limits.

12ozLongneck
05-10-2005, 01:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The man has a point.

pokerrookie
05-10-2005, 01:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The man has a point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he meant -EV in terms of you getting better at the game. Sure, you will make big money playing TAG at a twoplustwo table, but not necessarily learn more about beating very good games.

12ozLongneck
05-10-2005, 01:39 AM
Nope. I meant really -EV, which they are if you do stuff like limp-reraise with 72o.

irishpint
05-10-2005, 02:11 AM
someone just PM me when we figure this out. I'd be up for a 2+2 micro table, some 1/2 6max, anything with guys who want to talk about/share hands after so we can make some improvements,k?

Aaron W.
05-10-2005, 02:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
However, for myself, and it seems others, there is a psychological barrier to making a jump up in levels. I know that some will say, if you aren't ready to make the jump, then you must not be good enough, mentally strong enough. So anyway, what I do for this is stay at the comfortable levels...those levels where I can "crush" the game, and when the cards do run cold, I am not losing the proverbial shirt. It seems then that one way to learn would be to jump directly in the highest limit, toughest game you can find. This would, of course, be bankroll suicide and would quickly get you away from the table altogether. Paying for your lessons, I think is what they call this. With an unlimited bankroll, after doing this a few times, you would learn some serious lessons, and eventually become a decent poker player. With an unlimited bankroll, the goal of making money is moot, however.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be honest. That's the stupid way of doing it. Moving up in levels is a gradual process and bankroll considerations are only part of the equation. You certainly want to feel that you are "comfortably" beating whatever level you're at before moving up. If you're winning, but you're generally lost, then there is probably some concept that you're struggling with that you will need to figure out. As you move up in poker, the game becomes less ABC and more mentally challenging. If you don't have the appropriate mental categories for understanding the game, you will struggle.

You should also set a comfortable stop-loss BEFORE you move up, so that if you run cold (or if you suck) at the next level, you will have a chance to bail out and re-evaluate. 100 BB is a good number for this (and that 100 BB had better not be your whole bankroll). I'm not saying that losing 100 BB means that you're not ready, but it will give you a chance to experience the higher level to get a sense of where you are.

These sorts of things will help with the psychological hurdle.

[ QUOTE ]
So here's the idea. A group of 8 micro players, with ambition of making the 3/6 and higher games get together at 0.5/1 (I think any lower, and it turns into a "lagfest"). We invite 2 people who claim to be crushing the 3/6 or higher games. We play for some predetermined time limit, say 2 hours (any shorter would result in a far too small sample for the experts to judge our play). We could play at a site like Absolute Poker, only because it allows us to show our folded cards. We could then have running chat, led by the experts, of course, to explain how we screwed up, how we played well, and most importantly whether our play would be good at the higher limits. Are there leaks in our game which make money at the fish fest micros but might be exploited big time at the higher limits? At the end of the session, we all send our hand histories to the "experts" for a brief review and further critique advice on our play.

[/ QUOTE ]

The concept is okay, but this way of playing it out doesn't seem right. First of all, the game you will play against "good" players (by this, I mean those learning to play better) is different than the game you play against "normal" players (average online poker player). The type of game you play there will be trickier and more aggressive than the sort of game you're gearing up to beat. It would be better to find two other players who have the same goal and all join the same public table to play with the fishes (try to take positions with players between you). Keep track of each others' play and have a postgame discussion over AIM or some other chat program. You can do this during the game, but I think there are some ethical questions you need to consider when it comes to having "side conversations" while playing.

The idea of bringing in an expert is nice, but I don't think it's necessary. With three heads working together, you should be able to at least identify the easy errors (which are the ones you need to fix FIRST -- and if didn't make any of the easy mistakes, you would be able to quickly make your way up to at least $2/4). The questionable hands can be brought to the forum for open discussion and debate.