PDA

View Full Version : $55 - Level 7 - KJ - Stop N Go

Scuba Chuck
05-10-2005, 12:44 AM
I've been using this Stop N Go a little lately. I actually have been using more of the Stop N Peak.

Here's the setup:
Very active table. As you can see, after posting the BB and the subsequent SB, I will be down to ~t1000. There's about a 75-80% probability these guys will be calling any allins if I wait and get blinded down. Big stack has been very active.

My strategy. Well, I thought I'd take a peak at this flop, if I don't like it, I'll checkfold behind. If I hit a King high, Jack high or flush draw flop, I'm pushing.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t4085)
Button (t1800)
Hero (t1615)
BB (t2500)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t800</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t600, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t2000) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t815 (All-In)</font>, UTG calls t815.

Turn: (t3630) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t3630) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t3630

<font color="blue"> Think I should wait for a better hand? Not once has it been folded around to the BB. Like I said, very aggressive table. </font>

Scuba Chuck
05-10-2005, 01:42 AM
So I take it by the lack of responses this hand was standard?

<font color="white"> Results: Villain had AQs </font>

The Yugoslavian
05-10-2005, 01:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So I take it by the lack of responses this hand was standard?

<font color="white"> Results: Villain had AQs </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Or that you alrady posted your bajillion hands for the night and this one got lost in the shuffle, /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

Yugoslav
PS NO RESULTS you sneaky, sneak!

Bigwig
05-10-2005, 01:51 AM
Oh no no no. I fold this in a flash. You still have excellent fold equity vs. two of the three players. If it's that active a table, there's a good chance you'll skate into the money.

gumpzilla
05-10-2005, 01:57 AM
Ahh, so by stop and go, you mean calling.

The only flop I think you should consider check-folding on, and probably not even these, are A high.

wuwei
05-10-2005, 03:19 AM
I can't imagine calling off a third of my stack with the intent of folding most of the flops here... yuck.

curtains
05-10-2005, 03:20 AM
I would fold preflop

deathpotato
05-10-2005, 03:42 AM
I really don't think you can call preflop with the intent of folding on the flop. You talk about the blinds ruining your fold equity, folding this hand postflop will force you all-in in the blinds if the table is as active as you say, and this means you get one hand, not 4+ hands to pick a spot to try to double. Flop push is obvious here, but I really would try to avoid this play and fold preflop. If you disagree and call (or agree and misclick!) I think you have to push any flop.

schwah
05-10-2005, 06:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

My strategy. Well, I thought I'd take a peak at this flop, if I don't like it, I'll checkfold behind. If I hit a King high, Jack high or flush draw flop, I'm pushing.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you misunderstand the purpose of the stop n go. you should be betting just about any flop here EXCEPT when you flop top pair. when you employ the stop n go you're betting with the hope that the flop missed the villian completely (and it will have, more often than not). it can be very effective, because even if someone knows exactly what you're doing, it's practically impossible for them to make the call with something like ten high.

i don't think this is a very good situation for a stop n go (you're against a big stack, on the bubble, with very little chips behind to try to push him off the flop). but if you're going to try to do it here, at least do it right. if you flop a pair you should NEVER bet. it gives him the opportunity to get away from a hand that he will almost always be betting when you check to him.

Tilt
05-10-2005, 11:36 AM
Preflop, I do not see how you can invest so much in a call here. If villain has been that aggro, it might be time to push and hope to double up. Its hard to imagine you will get a better spot than KJ heads up against a random stealing hand before your stack dwindles too far.

A true stop and go won't work here most times IMO, cause he'll be getting too much on his call to fold most anything.

gumpzilla
05-10-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i don't think this is a very good situation for a stop n go (you're against a big stack, on the bubble, with very little chips behind to try to push him off the flop). but if you're going to try to do it here, at least do it right. if you flop a pair you should NEVER bet. it gives him the opportunity to get away from a hand that he will almost always be betting when you check to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this depends heavily on your opponent. Against an opponent who is aware of the stop and go, this seems painfuly obvious - call a push, check behind otherwise. I think you can get your pairs paid off pushing against such an opponent. Against an unaware opponent, I'm not sure how often you're going to see the continuation you want.