PDA

View Full Version : Pocket pair with a paired flop - I need help with these hands...please

emitch
05-10-2005, 12:16 AM
Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Big blind is very loose and I have caught him bluffing several times. The other two players fit the 2+2 TAG description.

I don't play a lot of short handed stuff, but I probably should have raised preflop?

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, MP2 folds.

At this point, I a pretty sure that the SB and MP2 don't have either card based upon their previous play. As I said above the BB could have anything, but is usually aggressive whether he has it or not.

Turn: (4 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

I should have bet this, don't know why I didn't. Other than I am used everyone playing A + anything and beating me with it.

River: (4 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds.

Good card for me. I finally wake up and decide to bet. Should I have bet this or is this one of those, "they will only call with hands that beat you" cases??

Final Pot: 6 BB

Thanks for the help.

mitch

afk
05-10-2005, 12:18 AM
Hey there. I think I would bet the flop and turn, then probably take a free showdown if you get called on the turn. I don't imagine there are thaaaaaaaaaat many hands you are ahead of that will call a river bet.

jrbick
05-10-2005, 12:44 AM
I think raising PF would be a good decision from the CO w/ only 2 limpers unless you've got a LAG behind you. W/ 77 you'd either like no less than 4 others in the pot w/ you (ideally 5 +) or 3 handed - HU. On the flop you would then continue the aggression (tricky players w/ the J will usually wait till the T to CR you.).

I know what you're saying about the T but you have no reason not to bet here since no aggression has been demonstrated. I think you can safely fold to a raise.

Cheap showdown is now ideal in the way that you played it as well as the way that I reccomended above for the same reason already given (a worse hand isn't calling most of the time).

Redd
05-10-2005, 01:04 AM
You would bet the turn? It seems like you're not buying the pot there against a loose opponent, and you're only ahead of the TAG if he's playing QT. Plus you've got fourth pair in a small, 3-way, ace-on-board pot.

emitch
05-10-2005, 01:41 AM
with the TAG checking! and I want to make the loose player pay for drawing. The only thing I am really afraid of here is a weak Ace that was afraid to bet.

mitch

adsman
05-10-2005, 03:43 AM
The Ace on the Turn is a scare card. It's a scare card for you but also a scare card for your opponents. Sometimes when a scare card drops and you bet with position you will get check raised. But a lot of the time everyone will fold thinking that you have the scare card. And sometimes an opponent will call to keep you honest even if they haven't got shiit.
So I bet the Turn. I like the river bet as you're up against two opponents. Getting one to fold improves your winning chances. If the BB is that bad then this could be considered a value bet.

aron
05-10-2005, 03:59 AM
my vote goes with afks line. Bet the turn and fold if raised or bet in to on the river.
If not check behind on the river.

-aron

Matt Jenko
05-10-2005, 04:12 AM
I would raise from the CO here. My reasons would vary from getting the button, and taking control of the hand (you might even have the best hand here). Also, a flop bet followed by nothing but calls would make me bet again if checked to me on turn. This will probably get you a free showdown should you want it, and I would here.