PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of my play with this hand? The dreaded AQ.

Karak567
05-10-2005, 12:16 AM
***** Hand History for Game 2025930889 *****
NL Hold'em $10 Buy-in + $1 Entry Fee Trny:12075201 Level:1 Blinds(10/15) - Tuesday, May 10, 00:14:03 EDT 2005
Table Table 11889 (Real Money)
Seat 7 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: Flop_it420 ( $800 )
Seat 8: damondenon ( $770 )
Seat 6: comokid ( $800 )
Seat 2: erb4321 ( $800 )
Seat 5: bigset61 ( $950 )
Seat 9: dahans68 ( $770 )
Seat 7: taylor34 ( $790 )
Seat 4: Amy44 ( $800 )
Seat 3: obpat99 ( $800 )
Seat 10: Ten_Dollar ( $720 )
Trny:12075201 Level:1
Blinds(10/15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to erb4321 [ Qc Ac ]
Ten_Dollar calls [15].
Flop_it420 folds.
erb4321 calls [15].
obpat99 folds.
Amy44 folds.
bigset61 folds.
comokid folds.
taylor34 folds.
damondenon calls [5].
dahans68 checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 9c, 9s, Ad ]
damondenon checks.
dahans68 checks.
Ten_Dollar checks.
erb4321 bets [65].
damondenon folds.
dahans68 folds.
Ten_Dollar calls [65].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 6d ]
>You have options at Table 11238 Table!.
>You have options at Table 11540 Table!.
Ten_Dollar checks.
>You have options at Table 11800 Table!.
erb4321 bets [175].
>You have options at Table 11540 Table!.
Ten_Dollar calls [175].
** Dealing River ** [ 5h ]
Ten_Dollar checks.
erb4321 is all-In [545]

treeofwisdom7
05-10-2005, 12:28 AM
wow he had 9x didnt he.. yah thats a hard hand to play but somepeople here would say you played it correctly early on. im not sure if they would say you played it correct after the flop tho. if it was me i would safely abondon ship with top pair after getting called down. plus its really early in the sit n go.. so i guess a check fold on the turn might work *altho i cant really understand what went on in the hand.) try using the poker converter.. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jeffraider
05-10-2005, 12:30 AM
I like it. If he had a 9 then tough cookie but I think you played it well.

prunch
05-10-2005, 05:20 AM
what did he have, smells like a slowplay, especially when he just called the 175 bet. However at the 11's this happens a lot and then you se them turn over A10 or something. Any chance he floooped the full house!

zambonidrivr
05-10-2005, 08:15 AM
raise before the flop. not sure what the guy had, but it was probably a 9, i'm guessing. get those fish to drop their crappy hands. even though utg called, you must raise to define your hand.

jcm4ccc
05-10-2005, 08:24 AM
The flop call should worry you very much. There are no drawing hands on the board, so you have to expect that he already likes his hand. After this, I would check/fold.

The all-in on the river is just terrible. He's already seen all the cards, so he's not going to call your bet on the hopes of drawing a better hand. He will only call this bet if he has a better hand than you (or is a complete idiot).

LeVoodoo
05-10-2005, 08:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
raise before the flop. not sure what the guy had, but it was probably a 9, i'm guessing. get those fish to drop their crappy hands. even though utg called, you must raise to define your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like raising with AQ this early in a tournament, and a fish won't drop a crappy hand to a raise. That's why he's a fish. I think the hand was played well.

I may have just fired another 175-200 bet on the river and fold to a push. That is probably playing a bit weak, but it is still early in the tournament so I don't want to risk my entire stack if i suspect i'm being lured into a trap.

Karak567
05-10-2005, 08:30 AM
Well I think the main issue here is I've seen people go to the river with KK, QQ, TT, Ax on a 10 + 1 here all in ALL the time. That was my line of thought.

He had a9 though.

LeVoodoo
05-10-2005, 08:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well I think the main issue here is I've seen people go to the river with KK, QQ, TT, Ax on a 10 + 1 here all in ALL the time. That was my line of thought.

He had a9 though.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least 3/4 of the time you will be up against Ax or a low pocket pair (they seem to love playing those on a paired board, overcards be damned). A high pair doesnt make much sense here.

LeVoodoo
05-10-2005, 08:45 AM
On further reading, I think you should have fired less on the turn, because that's where you got yourself in trouble. You overbet the pot, although only slightly, when a 1/2 to 3/4 bet would have been sufficient considering the vulnerability of your hand. Betting only, say, 100 on the turn means you can put out a smaller bet on the river and it allows you to walk away from the hand with ~500 when he comes back over the top (which he certainly would have).

Playing it as you did, I would have checked behind on the river. This early in the game i'm pretty happy to walk away with a ~450 pot, and if he beats you, it could have been worse.

Paul2432
05-10-2005, 08:46 AM
My goal with a hand like this is to get to a cheap show down. Not to get all-in. I would bet less on the flop, may be 45. Bet half to two thirds of the pot on the turn, and check the river. If at any time my opponent starts to show a lot of strength, I fold (unless another ace comes).

If I have a 9, I play it the same, except I bet the river.

Paul

mikeyKay
05-10-2005, 09:16 AM
river looks really bad. sure, a worse hand might call the river all in, but most of the time a better hand is calling. betting the river for value in NL is much harder than limit. im fine with the free showdown this early in the tourney, you will have plenty of time later on to exploit bigger edges. no point in risking your tourney life on this hand.

-mike

swarm
05-10-2005, 09:21 AM
I thought you played this poorly actually...

Early position early in tourney limping AQ is the right play. The bet on the flop was fine but after being called I would slow down... and just try to check it to the river.

Why go all in on the river??? Usually you are only going to be called by a hand that beats you. You state seeing people play KK-QQ-TT the way villan did but would any of those hands limp pre-flop on regular occassion? Not likely.

When someone calls you twice on significant sized bets I would be thinking he's got trips... Because that is the way I would play them. You did all the betting for him.

This is a classic overplay of TPTK early in a tournament. It's completely unneccessary and something that you need to remedy in order to improve your game.

stripsqueez
05-10-2005, 09:30 AM
AQo is a piece of crap in this spot

i fold it or raise enough to give the limper a problem - i think over limping is horrible

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

stripsqueez
05-10-2005, 09:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My goal with a hand like this is to get to a cheap show down. Not to get all-in

[/ QUOTE ]

my goal is to go all-in on every hand i chose to play early in a SNG - if i cant sensibly have the goal i fold pre-flop

swarm
05-10-2005, 09:48 AM
playing AQ in big pots early in a tournament is a losing proposition...

Sykes
05-10-2005, 10:02 AM
Is this thread a joke? Fold AQs in ep (with 1 limper) early in a tournament? You guys must be nuts.

Raise to 60. Bet 3/4th-pot on the flop.

Nottom
05-10-2005, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i fold it or raise enough to give the limper a problem - i think over limping is horrible

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you doing hanging out in the STT forum?

I think you are wrong here, I don't think there is anything wrong with limping behind with AQs here in a typical STT.

Tilt
05-10-2005, 11:27 AM
You have to slow down and seek a cheap showdown. Check behind the turn. At least you should check behind the river here.

With no reads at the tens, after checking behind the turn, at the river I would call a bet <150, fold to a bet of 150 - 250, and call anything larger. That might seem like a strange, counterinuitive approach....but I would use his river bet to give me a read. Early on in the tens you are most likely to have a very strong hand make a sizeable value bet, while the weaker ace will either try and shove you off with a huge bet or make some weak bluff. The bet that makes you wonder is the one you do not want to call at this level IMO.

pokerlaw
05-10-2005, 12:01 PM
I would check out on the river. I see no need to go broke on what might be a slow play of a 9 this early in a tourney.

swarm
05-10-2005, 12:08 PM
who said anything about folding AQ??? I'm limping in from early position and calling small raises but i'm not getting myself involved in a big raised preflop pot with AQ by being the instigator from early position.

Raising AQ to 60 from early position is asking for it.

Sykes
05-10-2005, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
who said anything about folding AQ??? I'm limping in from early position and calling small raises but i'm not getting myself involved in a big raised preflop pot with AQ by being the instigator from early position.

Raising AQ to 60 from early position is asking for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't reply here unless you actually know what you're talking about. Lurk more.

swarm
05-10-2005, 02:07 PM
Sykes I guarantee I know more than you pal. Most here would not advocate raising AQ from early position early in a Party SNG with a chipstack of 800. My guess is you play with deeper stacks, why don't you go back to posting in threads involving deep stack play only, something you know about.

mjm
05-10-2005, 02:16 PM
I haven't read the outcome yet but I don't like the play. For me, too weak pre-flop and on flop. Too aggresive on the river, surely the only way you get called is if your beat? (like i say haven't read outcome). I would check the river, if your ahead he hasn't got anything to justify adding to the pot, if he calls your a big underdog. But then i'm no great player myself, so what do i know?

curtains
05-10-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you doing hanging out in the STT forum?

I think you are wrong here, I don't think there is anything wrong with limping behind with AQs here in a typical STT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, obviously calling limping horrendous is absurd. I would tend to limp this hand, however folding should be the worst option at this level. I have folded AQo UTG in the $200 sit and go's back in the day, but not sure if it was a good idea...