PDA

View Full Version : $55 - blind steal sees a flop

Scuba Chuck
05-10-2005, 12:05 AM
Thoughts on this hand. I spent about 5 seconds thinking about it. If I had a King, I'd check this hand. So I think villain has either:

A)pocket pair
B)a 5
C)crap

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t2670)
MP (t1840)
Hero (t1015)
SB (t1985)
BB (t2490)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t250</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls t150.

Flop: (t550) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t300</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t765 (All-In)</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: t1615

curtains
05-10-2005, 12:16 AM
I actually play this situation more robotically and move allin preflop. I'm not in the mood to convince a low pocket pair or some KJs hand to reraise or call me.

NYCNative
05-10-2005, 12:20 AM
Horrible play from the Villain. If he makes that stab, he needs to be prepared to call the rest. In fact, he should have called the rest, given how much it was relative to the pot. Maybe he expected you to feel that way, but that's the only way he bets with a King there, to trap you. Frankly, you did the wrong thing. You should have folded because it SHOULD have been a guaranteed call no matter what he had. Did you factor that into your play? You would have been behind in two of your three scenarios...

The Yugoslavian
05-10-2005, 12:22 AM
I most likely push this pre-flop. If I don't and put in a 250 raise (which wouldn't be a misclick) then I'm hating his bet.

On the one hand, it seems like a fishy bet b/c he's not putting you allin or looks like he's taking a stab at the pot. But, he's committing himself to this pot and I can't imagine too many hands he'd have here that he'd make that bet with and then fold. The good news is that I think you're ahead here enough to make going allin fine.

Ugh....what does he have?! A worse ace? No way he's folding a pocket pair there....does he have like broadways without a K? Bah....I prolly fold on the flop...$#@%#$

F it....I push pre-flop...

Yugoslav
Yes, still a post-flop floozie...

deathpotato
05-10-2005, 12:32 AM
I push preflop for what it's worth, but I know you're more interested in postflop discussion. I think pushing is right here, although I'm not sure what I'd say if I hadn't seen him fold. It's a good bluffing flop, theoretically, but his bet is absolutely awful if he's going to fold to a push. I think that most of the time he will call you and you will be ahead, simply because of the odds he is getting. I don't think he does this with a king very often, so when youre behind I think you're only very rarely far behind.

microbet
05-10-2005, 12:36 AM
It's an interesting hand and it reminds us that we have some FE even when we think our opponant is pot committed.

On the other hand, if he has a strong (wrong) read that you have a pair higher than his or a King, he may think he only has 2 outs and thus not be getting good enough odds.

dfscott
05-10-2005, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I most likely push this pre-flop. If I don't and put in a 250 raise (which wouldn't be a misclick) then I'm hating his bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I thought you weren't thinking about this stuff!

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The Yugoslavian
05-10-2005, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I thought you weren't thinking about this stuff!

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Every basketball game has decided to not be competitive....meh. Probably not awful that I'm thinking about hands now a bit tonight.

Oh, and I don't like how you played your QQ hand....he's either way ahead here or only has like an out to an A. If you wanna bet that flop I'd bet smaller. But I just glanced at it and am not 'thinking about poker' tonight, /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Yugoslav
PS Can someone put a friggin' muzzle on Doug Collins?!?! I hate to mute the damn thing b/c Kevin Harlin is so good...but Collins is just so *painful* to listen to. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGH!

Scuba Chuck
05-10-2005, 12:58 AM
NYC, I see you're coming from some poker background. Why don't you tell us a little about yourself.

[ QUOTE ]
You should have folded because it SHOULD have been a guaranteed call no matter what he had. Did you factor that into your play? You would have been behind in two of your three scenarios...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing that I should have folded here. With regards to being behind on two of those three, that is not completely accurate. Once you add probabilities that C is the most likely, and any pair he may have, I'm likely only a 46% dog, I'm way ahead against this handrange probability.

Did I think about this? Well, you saw that part about the 5 seconds right?

Scuba
who's busting your balls, a little.

curtains
05-10-2005, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's an interesting hand and it reminds us that we have some FE even when we think our opponant is pot committed.

On the other hand, if he has a strong (wrong) read that you have a pair higher than his or a King, he may think he only has 2 outs and thus not be getting good enough odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a lot easier to be pot committed preflop than postflop. Postflop you can have absolutely nothing with almost no chance to improve, preflop you can't.

Nick M
05-10-2005, 01:20 AM
i push preflop and avoid all this..but good read

Scuba Chuck
05-10-2005, 01:37 AM
OK, I didn't push this preflop. Why? Well, I read all gigabet's responses to the STEP 5 higher HH, and ...well I can dream right?

Anyway, so I didn't push this hand, so here I am. Now talk more.

[ QUOTE ]
but I know you're more interested in postflop discussion. I think pushing is right here, although I'm not sure what I'd say if I hadn't seen him fold. It's a good bluffing flop, theoretically, but his bet is absolutely awful if he's going to fold to a push. I think that most of the time he will call you and you will be ahead, simply because of the odds he is getting. I don't think he does this with a king very often, so when youre behind I think you're only very rarely far behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Mr Potato. That's kind of what I was thinking. Furthermore, at some stage I'm going to take a coinflip. This felt like this was where I had committed my chips to it. Just glad my read was right.

Also, I expected a call.

Scuba