PDA

View Full Version : Does Studying Psychology Help Play Poker?

PokerProdigy
05-09-2005, 10:44 PM
I am currently a college student who plans on majoring in psychology. I was wondering if anyone (especially anyone else who has studied psychology) thinks that this will help my poker game? And if so, how?

P.S. I am NOT planning on majoring in psychology because I am hoping it will help me at poker, but rather because I find the subject fascinating. I am just curious if maybe it will be a bonus at the poker table.

TStoneMBD
05-09-2005, 10:55 PM
of course it will help. studying geometry or biology will help too. the question is will studying psychology help you play poker better than if you studied something else.

PokerProdigy
05-09-2005, 11:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
of course it will help. studying geometry or biology will help too. the question is will studying psychology help you play poker better than if you studied something else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I definitely agree with your answer, and yeah, thats really the question I was asking. So would you (or anyone else) please answer it?

P.S. I like that goofy picture of Phil Ivey "cheesing" with the bracelet. And by the way, that's not a crack at Phil because he's one of my favorite poker players, it's just a hilarious picture.

Al Schoonmaker
05-10-2005, 02:04 AM
Since I am obviously biased, don't take my remarks too seriously.

Some players are intuitive psychologists. They just have great feel for players. If you have that feel, you don't need to study psychology.

If you don't have that feel, studying psychology will help your game a great deal. In fact, it will be hard to succeed at any but the lowest levels without either a natural gift or serious study.

Regards,

Al