PDA

View Full Version : pp 100+9 bubble play; did i crap on my chance to finish ITM?

THWAP!
05-09-2005, 10:40 PM
should be self-explanatory

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB (t1817)
BB (t3033)
UTG (t625)
MP (t1265)
hero (t3260)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t625 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">hero raises to t3260 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls t2733 (All-In).

Flop: (t7068) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 3 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t7068) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 3 all-in)</font>

River: (t7068) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 3 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t7068

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has Ac Ah (two pair, aces and sevens).
UTG has Ks 5s (one pair, sevens).
hero has 9s 9h (two pair, nines and sevens).
Outcome: BB wins t6841. hero wins t227. </font>

Eric Draven
05-09-2005, 10:54 PM
I'm no expert when it comes to Party (especially when the blinds are high and it's a shoving match), but I think I would have just called. It was pretty unlucky that the BB was the only one who had near as many chips as you and he picked up such a big hand... Tough spot, but I think I would have called...

Chaostracize
05-09-2005, 11:06 PM
You should just call here. What will happen is either BB will or fold, and unless he's tricky or dumb, you should know by now, he won't raise. Many people are happy calling and checking it down to knock out one more person. You don't need to protect this hand right now because you have 3 more people left to act and the of you getting blown off your hand with nothing is not something to worry about here.

beeyjay
05-09-2005, 11:40 PM
i like the way you play it. in my opinion you don't want the bb calling and checking it down with you when you can easily get it heads up preflop getting almost 2 to 1 on your money. With 450 in virtually dead money sitting in the blinds I think its a good situation for you. I think either blind needs a monster to call you here. If he has it so be it.

Nottom
05-09-2005, 11:46 PM
Don't post the results if you want people to give good answers ... and by results I mean stop when its your action.

I think you played this fine. The blinds are huge here, if you just call the BB will correctly call with a lot of hands and you really can't be too aggressive post flop in most cases. Worse yet the BB might decide to come over the top with a hand like AQ that he may have folded to an all-in and now you are the one forced to laydown the best hand.

The BB is the only person you don't want to call your all-in and hes only going to find a hand worth calling with &lt;10% of the time and some of those times you'll win anyway. There's 1000 chips sitting in the middle right now thats enough reason to want to take that risk.

microbet
05-10-2005, 12:11 AM
Never never push into a BB with Aces.

Otherwise, you played it very nicely. No one wants to call you and bust out here and 99 doesn't want to have to beat more than one player.

deathpotato
05-10-2005, 12:13 AM
I do the same. BB does not call you without something very big, nor does SB.

curtains
05-10-2005, 12:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't post the results if you want people to give good answers ... and by results I mean stop when its your action.

I think you played this fine. The blinds are huge here, if you just call the BB will correctly call with a lot of hands and you really can't be too aggressive post flop in most cases. Worse yet the BB might decide to come over the top with a hand like AQ that he may have folded to an all-in and now you are the one forced to laydown the best hand.

The BB is the only person you don't want to call your all-in and hes only going to find a hand worth calling with &lt;10% of the time and some of those times you'll win anyway. There's 1000 chips sitting in the middle right now thats enough reason to want to take that risk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling is stupid, allin is correct.

The Yugoslavian
05-10-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
should be self-explanatory

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is a bad beat post at worse.....highly results-oriented post at best.

What hands do you think the SB and BB call with here? What about if you just coldcall...what happens to their ranges then?

You gotta push (and can't fold even if you're Degen).

Yugoslav

NYCNative
05-10-2005, 12:29 AM
How about middle ground? Make a raise but not all-in - say to $1500. It's significant relative to the bet and his chip stack but still leaves you enough chips to play with.

BB might smooth-call but more likely he goes over-the-top all-in with those Aces. Then it's an easy fold and at that point you would be in great shape to cash and not be out of winning the thing.

Remember, they were only a middle pair.

microbet
05-10-2005, 12:49 AM
Middle pair especially needs an allin. You don't want to play more than one opponant here, certainly not with 1/2 your stack in the pot.

curtains
05-10-2005, 01:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How about middle ground? Make a raise but not all-in - say to $1500. It's significant relative to the bet and his chip stack but still leaves you enough chips to play with.

BB might smooth-call but more likely he goes over-the-top all-in with those Aces. Then it's an easy fold and at that point you would be in great shape to cash and not be out of winning the thing.

Remember, they were only a middle pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

This idea is always possible, however I don't feel like the BB's raises and/or calls will be limited to the approximtely 2% chance they have a hand that beats 99, once you make this tiny raise.