PDA

View Full Version : Opponent Tables Cards on Turn...what to do? (X-post)

phuc
05-09-2005, 10:27 PM
Also posted this in the B&M forum.

I'm playing 5/10 NL. Max buy-in is $500. I have around $1000. Villian has around $1000. Villian is weak-passive. Villian is MP2. I'm UTG and find AKs. I can see that it looks like everyone is going to fold before I even act (except Villian who looks like he wants to raise). This is a risky chance but I decide to go with a limp re-raise if I suspect weakness in his raise. Also I know I can push him off if he doesn't hit a decent flop. One caller in between. Everyone else folds to Villian who makes it $20. Folds around to me and I re-raise to $60. Only Villian calls.

Flop is AK9. I bet out $100, he raises to $200. I think, "crap, he's got AK too and we are going to chop." I call.

Turn is a Q. He bets out $100. I'm confused. I know I should raise, but I call. before the river, Villain tables AQo because he thinks we are at the river.

River is a blank. I pause and say to the table, "what do I do now??" A couple people say "bet!" So the question is do I bet or check? Well, knowing I have the best hand and it was his fault, I bet $300. He thinks long and hard and the dealer has to tell him to make a decision. He finally calls and I show him AK and take down the pot. Now everyone at the table gets mad at me for betting.

Do you guys bet here? Or do you try to be nice and check it down (because I don't want the table to be crappy to me...it's juicy)? Or should I not care and should have pushed all-in?

amoeba
05-09-2005, 10:31 PM
you obviously bet. There is no being nice in poker especially to those who call limp reraises with AQo.

question though. How do you know he didn't have AA KK or QQ with the way he played flop and turn or was he that loose?

phuc
05-10-2005, 09:15 AM
well, that is true, he could have had AA or KK, but I think I was more scared of 99 or QQ. My initial read was that he wasn't that strong until he raised me on the flop and bet so small on the turn. Being overly cautious, I just called the turn in hope of hitting an A or K on the river just in case, but he tabled his cards and I didn't need to guess anymore. Oh, also, I guess I missed one important point. The turn made a 3-flush on the board and I had none of that suit in my hand.

Jazza
05-10-2005, 09:34 AM
game theory says you go all in here

MasterShakes
05-10-2005, 12:17 PM
I don't get it... did the table only want you to bet if you were behind here?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with betting here. If you don't, if this guy has any brains at all, he must know that anything he bets won't be called since you've seen his hand and shown no intention of getting more of your money in.

The only question is how much to bet. $300 seemed like a good value bet that he would call in this spot, in relation to the pot size. You found a good amount.

Nice hand.

kurto
05-10-2005, 04:21 PM
First off, it sounds like your tablemates are schizo. They tell you to bet then get mad at you when you do. Bizarre.

Second, your opponents tabling is bad on so many levels.

The funny thing is his showing you cards actually increased the possibility of you bluffing him. On the river, regardless of what you have, you could say, "AQ? I'm all in."

I don't know if it work, but it certainly adds another dimension to bluffing.

Regarding your betting... the other guy screwed up. You don't lose your ability to play the hand the way you should because he tabled his own cards. Tough kaka for him.