PDA

View Full Version : hypnotic application?

TStoneMBD
05-09-2005, 08:22 PM
(inspired by the hypnotism thread)

quite a few years ago, while i was nearly a preteen, i came across a hypnotism application somewhere on the internet. i downloaded it to see what it was about and opened it up. it didnt have any directions on how to use it or anything.

when i opened the application, strobing lights started flashing on my screen and there was some sort of hypnotic swirling pattern. my eyelids began to grow very heavy within a few seconds and i nearly blacked out, but jumped out of my seat and away from my monitor as quickly as possible to abruptly stop the hypnotism.

i didnt like the idea of being under mind control from a computer application, as i had no idea if the thing would tell me to go buy something or give them my password or whatever after i was hypnotized. i quickly shut off the program and uninstalled it from my computer.

my mother also didnt like the idea of me using this program.

anyway, recently i have realized that hypnotism can be a great tool in changing personal habits. so i started looking all over the internet for hypnotism utilities and couldnt find anything. this application was nowhere to be found.

does anyone know of any simliar programs on the internet, or whether this actually works or not? i was in fact going into a hypnotic trance, that is certain. could your computer hypnotizing you and then playing some sort of helpful recording after its finished be helpful to people?

purnell
05-09-2005, 09:13 PM
This piece of shareware (http://www.bwgen.com/index.htm) will put you in the right frame of mind if you want to be there. I call BS on the occult claims made by some advocates of this technology, but for straight up forcing you into a suggestible state, it is very effective.

PS. I find that very low frequncy tones (~ 65 Hz) work best for me.

mcozzy1
05-10-2005, 03:36 AM
Hypnotism is a joke unless you're very simple minded.....or very stoned.

Aytumious
05-10-2005, 06:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the content of your post, it is clear you are an expert on the subject.

mostsmooth
05-10-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This piece of shareware (http://www.bwgen.com/index.htm) will put you in the right frame of mind if you want to be there. I call BS on the occult claims made by some advocates of this technology, but for straight up forcing you into a suggestible state, it is very effective.

PS. I find that very low frequncy tones (~ 65 Hz) work best for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
i dont have time to go through the whole site, but suppose you wanted to use this for learning purposes, are you supposed to listen to this while reading a book for instance, or do you listen to this and then read????

purnell
05-10-2005, 02:02 PM
"i dont have time to go through the whole site, but suppose you wanted to use this for learning purposes, are you supposed to listen to this while reading a book for instance, or do you listen to this and then read????"

I have no idea. I've only used it to get control of my sleeping habits, and I never bought the software because I already had the tools necessary to make my own recording. I think alot of the uses claimed are straight hype. All this actually does is latch the fundamental frequency of the listener's brain waves (EEG) to the frequency of the binaural beat (with the listener's cooperation). The rest is up to the listener.

edit: It is hard for me not to fall asleep when listening to my tracks. It would probably be better to read the book/chapter/whatever, then go to bed and listen to a b.b. in the low theta range (~4 Hz), thinking about what you just read as you fall asleep.

mostsmooth
05-10-2005, 02:08 PM
did you modify any of the presets , or just went with the one that came with it?

purnell
05-10-2005, 02:27 PM
The one I made (to make me sleep) is like this:

Frequncy of the audible tone = 65 Hz

Volume of audible tone starts at about 50% and steadily increases to about 60%

Binaural beat starts at 9 Hz and steadily falls over about 7 minutes to about 4 Hz, and stays there.

Pink noise at steady 12% volume

Waveform of the audible tone = sine wave

The pitch of the audible tones in the presets is too high for my taste, so I don't use any of them.

mostsmooth
05-10-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"i dont have time to go through the whole site, but suppose you wanted to use this for learning purposes, are you supposed to listen to this while reading a book for instance, or do you listen to this and then read????"

I have no idea. I've only used it to get control of my sleeping habits, and I never bought the software because I already had the tools necessary to make my own recording. I think alot of the uses claimed are straight hype. All this actually does is latch the fundamental frequency of the listener's brain waves (EEG) to the frequency of the binaural beat (with the listener's cooperation). The rest is up to the listener.

edit: It is hard for me not to fall asleep when listening to my tracks. It would probably be better to read the book/chapter/whatever, then go to bed and listen to a b.b. in the low theta range (~4 Hz), thinking about what you just read as you fall asleep.

[/ QUOTE ]
ok i give up, whats a b.b?
also, you said earlier that low frequency 65hz works best for you, 65hz is rather high compared to the other stuff, isnt it?

mostsmooth
05-10-2005, 02:48 PM
wait, i found it
no need to answer the b.b. question!

purnell
05-10-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
also, you said earlier that low frequency 65hz works best for you, 65hz is rather high compared to the other stuff, isnt it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, b.b. (in this case) means binaural beat. You are confusing the frequncy of the audible tone with that of the binaural beat. The binaural beat is not audible. That is, it's frequency is too low to be heard by human ears. What the listener perceives is the interference wave between the two audible tones.The presets have the audible tone set in the range of an alto. 65 Hz is lower than most basses can go.

edit: I took too long to answer. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I guess I'll leave this up here anyway...

mostsmooth
05-10-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, b.b. (in this case) means binaural beat. You are confusing the frequncy of the audible tone with that of the binaural beat. The binaural beat is not audible. That is, it's frequency is too low to be heard by human ears. What the listener perceives is the interference wave between the two audible tones.The presets have the audible tone set in the range of an alto. 65 Hz is lower than most basses can go.

edit: I took too long to answer. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I guess I'll leave this up here anyway...

[/ QUOTE ]
they say to find a frequency that works best, how the hell will i know which one is working best? how many attempts at each level? also, since we are only interested in the difference of the left and right, what does it matter if we use 55/65hz, or 600/610hz as the source. shouldnt they both do the same job? or would one be too irritating?

purnell
05-10-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they say to find a frequency that works best, how the hell will i know which one is working best? how many attempts at each level? also, since we are only interested in the difference of the left and right, what does it matter if we use 55/65hz, or 600/610hz as the source. shouldnt they both do the same job? or would one be too irritating?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a matter of taste mostly, but if the audible sound's wavelength is shorter than the width of your skull (high frequency), you can't perceive the "beat".

It is necessary to experiment, but 4 Hz (approximately the boundary between sleep and wakefulness) is a good place to start with the binaural beat frequency.

purnell
05-10-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are alot of myths surrounding hypnotism that make it out to be more than it is. What you are thinking of as "hypnotism" probably is a joke.

Aytumious
05-10-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are alot of myths surrounding hypnotism that make it out to be more than it is. What you are thinking of as "hypnotism" probably is a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Much more civil than my response.

BigBaitsim (milo)
05-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Hypnosis can be a useful tool, but not in the way you are thinking. Stage hypnosis and all that hypnotize yourself to success, weight loss, good poker play, getting laid, or whatever is a pile of horseshit.

ERHutchison
05-14-2005, 10:42 AM
Hypnosis has been recognized by the AMA since 1958 as having therapeutic value for a wide range of behavioral problems.

Some of the notions expressed here are laughable in light of what is scientifically known on the subject. The interested reader may find my book on the subject helpful.

Edward Hutchison

BigBaitsim (milo)
05-14-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hypnosis has been recognized by the AMA since 1958 as having therapeutic value for a wide range of behavioral problems.

Some of the notions expressed here are laughable in light of what is scientifically known on the subject. The interested reader may find my book on the subject helpful.

Edward Hutchison

[/ QUOTE ]

Allow me to amend and correct my comments. I agree with everything above. My objections to hypnosis do not stem from the use of hypnosis as part of a behavioral treatment program by a licensed and trained physician or psychologist. My objections are to those silly tapes sold on the radio and seminar hypnotists who promise to put a room full of people in a trance so that they all lose weight. As a psychologist I am trained in hypnosis and have used it with success (although I do not use the technique often).