PDA

View Full Version : AJs on Button - 30/60

Sully
05-09-2005, 08:18 PM
Thoughts about this beauty? Not sure if I played it reponsibly or just plain scared.

As far as I can tell, UTG+1 is a solid player in most every respect. I have seen him quite a bit in this game, and never out of line.

CO is an 11% VpIp 2.5% PFR type. I can usually tell when he has something on the flop.

When this hand came along, I hadn't played a hand in about three orbits. Depending upon the opponents, I will probably fold this hand 30% of the time, call 40%, and raise the other 30%. The truth is that I don't know the best play pre-flop.

Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (7.25 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero???????

ShawnHoo
05-09-2005, 08:44 PM
I'm with you on being uncertain in this spot. It's unclear to me what he has. Do you think he would he c/r you with a weaker hand if you bet?

Call me crazy, but I like betting the turn here.

Yobz
05-09-2005, 09:16 PM
I normally play smaller stakes, but what about folding PF?

Sully
05-09-2005, 10:17 PM
Yobz;

I guess I didn't say it too well up top....I think that folding AJs under these circumstances is a good play. I think I said that I fold this hand 30% of the time. In reality, if there is a raise and a call, I probably fold this hand more like 50 - 60% of the time here. Occasionally, however, I will play it and considering my tight image at the time, I felt like a raise was the only way to go.

For the record, though, I learned a long time ago that AJ and AJs are serious trouble hands against early position raises. Folding is a good play, as this can can get you in a lot of tough spots, as you can see. Just because I know the correct play doesn't mean that I will make it every single time. Unfortunately.

mach3
05-10-2005, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm with you on being uncertain in this spot. It's unclear to me what he has. Do you think he would he c/r you with a weaker hand if you bet?

Call me crazy, but I like betting the turn here.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's certainly an odd line the villian took, checkraise the flop and then check twice. I'm inclined to bet the river. Perhaps he was overplaying a small PP and hoped to get you to laydown the flop? 77, 99?

rory
05-10-2005, 11:07 AM
You should fold this preflop if UTG is a solid player.