PDA

View Full Version : 6 max versus full ring - POST FLOP

T-REX
05-09-2005, 07:57 PM
Im a winning player at full ring.

However sometimes I find it a little tedious and enjoy much more the 6 max games, however Im finding it harder to adapt.

Ive read through this forum im ok pre flop, but post flop is where the money is made or lost and its alot harder to work out how you guys play.

What are the main differences post flop compared to a full ring game?

Drawing hands, how often is it worth semi bluffing, I always seem to get called on the flop or raised,

Do I just check and call if I got the odds or is this 2 weak?

Is it still odds, odds odds in 6 max? All the post aggression is knocking me out of pots.

Everytime I miss the flop, say Im left with overcards or a drawing hands, do I just play the odds, again majority of time check and calling/folding, this to weak?

When is 2nd pair a good hand?

What are the most common mistakes post flop a full ring player like me makes when going over to 6 max.

Raising much more pre flop, when dont I auto bet on the flop? If I check fold when I miss is it to weak, when I say miss I mean with overcards etc.

please help, assume me a good/average full ring player, please give me some useful advice on post flop 6max play.

thanks

Surfbullet
05-09-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What are the main differences post flop compared to a full ring game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Less players see the flop - so the average hand is lower. 2nd pair in an unraised pot should be treated like top pair at a full ring game.

[ QUOTE ]
Drawing hands, how often is it worth semi bluffing, I always seem to get called on the flop or raised,

[/ QUOTE ]

Semi-bluffing is very important at 6max games - if opponents fold alot postflop then you should be semibluffing every drawing hand...otherwise use the free card play liberally when in position, but slow down if you are getting multiple callers (but not enough to pump the pot). These guys like to call with any pair.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it still odds, odds odds in 6 max? All the post aggression is knocking me out of pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but you also have to account for, say, having A9 on a J34 board - in a HU pot (especially a blind steal situation) that your hand may very well be best even though you don't technically have odds to draw - you don't need them if you are ahead /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
What are the most common mistakes post flop a full ring player like me makes when going over to 6 max.

[/ QUOTE ]

Failing to valuebet... in 6max, especially the passive 1/2 and 5/10 games on party, you have to valuebet relentlessly, especially in heads-up pots. Bottom pair on the flop can be well worth value betting all the way through the river - but you have to know who will fold without a pair and who will call down with K or A high. Read are very important.

[ QUOTE ]
Raising much more pre flop, when dont I auto bet on the flop? If I check fold when I miss is it to weak, when I say miss I mean with overcards etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be more inclined to autobet the flop when it is HU, or when the board is likely to induce folds. For example: You raise KQo on the button, and get called by both blinds. Flop comes down A44. Bet here, because you will induce many folds b/c no overcards are possible and it is unlikely that anyone has hit a hand.

Be more inclined to check/call or check/fold in multiway pots, especially if your opponents are of the loose/passive variety and wont be folding for 1 bet on the flop - many of these players will chase a single overcard, etc. This makes valuebetting very important but follow-throughs less effective because they will keep calling.

Also be inclined to check-call when you have extra outs - backdoor flush etc. Bet times when you are less likely to improve.

C/f is fine - especially if it is very likely someone has hit the flop. Raising A8 on the CO and being called by the button and BB - flop comes down KQ9. You're very unlikely to fold anyone, as the board is drawy, and you have 3 outs to top pair - but they also complete a straight. Good spot for c/f.

I hope this helps - I just came up with these examples on the spot so they may not be the best - it can be overwhelming trying to adjust at first - read hands people post and reply to them, you'll learn quickly this way. Then, post some hands of yours that you are stumped on.

Good luck.

Surf

HelloGoodbye
05-09-2005, 08:49 PM
Excellent.