PDA

View Full Version : Is this a bad bet?

David04
05-09-2005, 07:42 PM
Last year, someone I know bet that they could drink an entire gallon of milk in half an hour. They tried to do it and lost. That got me and my friends talking, saying that we could do it in an hour, whatever. Nothing else really came of this, but I've been thinking about it recently. I think I could probably get down an entire gallon of 1% milk and keep it down for long enough to win the bet.

Has anyone here ever done this and won? What should I do to prepare? Drink a lot of water/milk the week or so before, and nothing on the day I drink the milk? I'm a pretty big guy, so maybe that will help.

Any tips for doing this? Or am I wasting my time?

Also, do you think it matters whether or not I drink from a cup or straight from the gallon(from a psychological standpoint)

Any other technicalities I can use to make this easier on myself(drink from a cup, 1% or skim milk, etc.)

One more thought-would it be better to drink as much as possible in the first 10-15 minutes and then wait to digest a little? Or drink it all as fast as I can? Or pace myself, something like 1 liter every 15 minutes or so?

The Stranger
05-09-2005, 07:57 PM
put some bourbon in it.

masse75
05-09-2005, 08:11 PM
In my former life (NFO in the Navy), this was referred to as the milk challenge. We loved having student aviators give it a shot--full of swagger...until about 20 minutes in.

Secret to the challenge is that it HAS to be whole milk. I've never seen anyone go longer than 30 minutes. And watching people vomit milk is both disgusting and hilarious.

Peca277
05-09-2005, 08:16 PM
If you google gallon challenge you'll find all sorts of stories of people who made it... and more that didn't. It can be done, but it's not easy.

manpower
05-09-2005, 08:32 PM
This is a traditional sucker bet. I've actually got a friend who managed to do it when he was 15 or something, but he says it was the sickest he's ever felt. Don't try it, even if you can down a gallon of beer with ease this will probably still make you sick.

The Goober
05-09-2005, 08:39 PM
My understanding is that the reason it can't be done is because your body simply can't produce enough lactase - the stuff that breaks down milk sugar (lactose). Lactaid is an over-the-counter drug for lactose intolerant people, and essentially just lactase, I believe.

Maybe if you ate a couple boxes of lactaid you could do it?

TStoneMBD
05-09-2005, 08:42 PM
would it be worth it to me to offer someone 100-200$ free money if they can chug an entire gallon of milk within an hour and not throw up? i cant imagine anyone doing it and the thought of seeing someone puke that badly would be awesome.

jstnrgrs
05-09-2005, 11:12 PM
I did this once, and I threw up. I didn't really feel sick afterwords, however.

If the idea is not to have thrown up at the end of the hour, then the best strategy is to only drink two or three glasses for the first 50 minutes, then chug the rest. You should be able to keep it down until just after the hour has ellapsed.

If the idea is to keep it down for an hour after you drink it, good luck.

ghostface
05-09-2005, 11:50 PM
I've done a half gallon of chocolate milk on many occasions just cause I like it. A gallon sounds gross.

mason55
05-09-2005, 11:55 PM
I have a friend who does it like once a week. I'll give you his secret: get diabetes.

Don't know why, but he has no trouble doing it.

NLSoldier
05-10-2005, 12:32 AM
2 guys at my high school did it on the last day of school one year.

One made it, one didnt. THe one who made it was a huge guy which probably helped. BUt he had to deal with hearing the other guy puking like 10 ft away which didnt help. THey used 2% milk.

The Legend
05-10-2005, 12:42 AM
My crew actually did this and recorded it about five years ago. My friend who did it puked 27 times and it was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. I have to find that footage. And with whole milk... Its damn hard to keep it down. Good luck.

mason55
05-10-2005, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My crew actually did this and recorded it about five years ago. My friend who did it puked 27 times and it was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. I have to find that footage. And with whole milk... Its damn hard to keep it down. Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your crew? Shouldn't you have been out busting caps in people's asses?

bonanz
05-10-2005, 01:33 AM
search (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1638653&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=all&vc=1)

tech
05-10-2005, 01:34 AM
There was a pretty big thread on this not too long ago. You can probably find it by using the search. It had some really good suggestions for making it work.

fluxrad
05-10-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your crew? Shouldn't you have been out busting caps in people's asses?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. They were too busy taking over the poker world!