PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with this flop?

Piper Tim
05-09-2005, 07:23 PM
I am going back and looking at different hands that I have played to try to identify my mistakes. I think mistake #1 was not raising preflop. Was mistake #2 betting on the flop instead of checking? How do you play it when 2 aces fall on the flop giving you quads?

Ultimate Bet (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif. <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 (poster) checks, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (poster) checks, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

River: (7.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

KaiShin
05-09-2005, 07:24 PM
I usually open-fold quads. You never get any money from them anyway.

<font color="white"> OK seriously, you played them fine, except for the preflop limp of course. </font>

skiier04
05-09-2005, 07:24 PM
I might check the flop in hopes that someone hits a straight, flush or boat. I think the turn and river are fine.

KaiShin
05-09-2005, 07:27 PM
Anyone with 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif's ain't leaving.

Anyone with a gutshot will likely call at these limits.

Bet.

aK13
05-09-2005, 07:28 PM
raise

bet

bet

bet

This doesn't happen very often, so don't worry about it.

UncleSalty
05-09-2005, 07:28 PM
You played it fine. (Edit: Raise PF)

And, don't waste people's time with this crap. Hand posts are for evaluating tough situations and marginal hands, not trying to squeeze an extra bet out of hands you will get once a month at best.

Buckmulligan
05-09-2005, 07:39 PM
Worst post of the day, by far.

jrz1972
05-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Raise PF. If your EP raises are rountinely taking down the blinds, you should find another table.

After raising PF, you need to just keep betting post-flop. If you get HU and somebody plays back at you, then maybe (maybe) you can think about getting fancy, but otherwise just keep clicking the "bet" and "raise" keys until the little computer dealer pushes you the pot.

Slowplaying would be a consideration if there were not a possible flush draw, a possible gutshot, and a viable undercard that somebody may have hit available. As the board actually came down, there are plenty of reasons for your opponents to call you down, so you might as well bet and take their money. (Note: I say that just for "flop evaluation" purposes. In real life, I am never ever slowplaying quad aces because I will have always raised preflop, and I absolutely never slowplay after I PFR).

UncleSalty
05-09-2005, 08:14 PM
Me? Or him?

gvibes
05-09-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Me? Or him?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yours, I presume.

no1super2001
05-09-2005, 09:14 PM
No question, raise preflop.

Were you looking to check-call or check-raise on the flop?
Either way, I think you bet and reraise all the way. Straightforward play regardless of the hand will make it difficult for a good player to get a bead on you, and the bad ones don't care.

Ianco15
05-09-2005, 09:29 PM
It looks good except for mistake #1. I don't think there is a mistake #2. Just keep betting/raising. Missing any bets here on any streets would be a disaster.

UncleSalty
05-09-2005, 09:39 PM
I guess I made my original post in a bit of a hurry and didn't really think about the tone.

Buck, thanks for setting me straight. You are correct, that was not my finest hour. Here's what I should have said:

Piper Tim, as I said before in your first hand post, I think it's great that you are trying to step back and learn the fundamentals of the game so you can become a solid winning player.

However, winning poker is about making solid +EV decisions, in common situations that you will see over and over again. Learning how to squeeze an extra bet or two out of quad aces is a fine skill to have, but in the scope of the thousands of hands you will play in your lifetime, it really makes very little difference if you play this hand correctly or not.

This forum experiences a VERY high volume of traffic. Therefore, it is important to try to limit hand post questions mainly to those that will offer all of us more opportunity to exercise and sharpen our skills. Doing so will increase the quality of the forum at large, and we will all gain more skill and knowledge as a result.

Apologies that my first post was so rude.

-Salty

Buckmulligan
05-09-2005, 11:07 PM
dont worry

davelin
05-09-2005, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am going back and looking at different hands that I have played to try to identify my mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't focus on quad hands. Raise pre-flop, rest is fine.

Nak
05-09-2005, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You played it fine. (Edit: Raise PF)

And, don't waste people's time with this crap. Hand posts are for evaluating tough situations and marginal hands, not trying to squeeze an extra bet out of hands you will get once a month at best.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about you don't waste people's time by being a total dickhead? Just a thought.

Cheers.
Nak

UncleSalty
05-10-2005, 09:04 AM
Classy.

@bsolute_luck
05-10-2005, 09:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am going back and looking at different hands that I have played to try to identify my mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't focus on quad hands. Raise pre-flop, rest is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

your mistakes on quad hands are minor. it's usually just a question of "did i get all i could?" to find mistakes, find a hand where you say "that looks really stupid. i wonder if i played that right"...and then just sit back an enjoy us berating you /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

xenthebrain
05-10-2005, 10:49 AM
That's a real tough hand, we should discuss them more often, since they happen so often, that we don't want to misplay them.

Could anyone give me some suggestions for playing a flopped straightflush there somehow?