PDA

View Full Version : Help with Prelfop Strategy

Derksy1355
05-09-2005, 07:15 PM
I'd like to open this post up to anyone and everyone with at least some moderate Tournament expirence.

For the last year and a half or so, I've been playing tournament Hold Em' on Poker Stars. Initially, I played recreationally, not taking the game very seriously, and have sense become very much committed.
I am currently working on my game, developing strategy and such, playing in many 5-10 dollar, 9 or 18 person Sit n' Go's, and have been doing very well as far as small stakes are concerned.
However, I am looking to step my game up a notch. I am currently finishing in the $ nearly 88% of the time, winning close to 60% of the tournaments I play in.
I would like to introduce my preflop play first, as my post play will be designated around it obviously.
This is the general Preflop strategy I follow, please comment on your play, and things you think I could work on.

Preflop Play

Establishing the Garbage.
My first 10 hands or so, are spent avoiding big pots, and establishing the player(s) whom I believe are the quote "Donkeys" of the poker world. These are the guys I can get to pay off my big hands. I may try to get into a hand against them, raising their BB with a hand like J10 suited or K J or QJ (depending on table position), looking for a loose call, or tilted play, and if I flop big I can make plays on them from there.
These hands are also spent initiating my reads.

I. Playing Preflop
Assuming were 9 headed at the beginning of a tournament

A. Hands I normally fold.
I play a very tight stack generally in early positions throughout the tournament. A9-A2 are no good, even suited, and I'll commonly find my self folding faced garbage such as KJ or A10.

B. Hands I play
1. Small Pk Pairs
~(BB. SB. UTG)

(22-99)
If I'm hit with a small pocket, 2-9's, (Hands I hate) I generally just limp.
If I'm raised from a middle-late position, and its not too much, I’ll just make the call, and look to hit my set. In the event I do, I almost always lead into the raiser.
If faced with an all in early in the tournament, I usually fold, not looking to race until I make the money, or its a small stack's desperate move.

~(MP 2-4)
When faced with an early position raise BB X3 or less, I’ll again just try to limp looking for my set. If the table explodes, and there are more than 3 aggressors in the hand, I’ll release the pair, looking to conserve chips, assuming I’m obviously beat.
When faced with a few folds in front, I may open the betting from an middle position. I do this for a couple reasons. The first being, to establish players hands from late positions.
I run into a lot of players who like to limp late with big pockets. Its not the thing to do, but I’ve run into it a lot. I raise to establish the possibility of running into one of those hands.
If I had Pk 8’s, and the F was: 3 5 7. I would make a pot sized bet looking to take the hand right there, and when faced with a reraise from a late position limper, I wouldn't know whether to put him on a draw like 86, top pair like A7, or a Bigger pair like JJ’s or 10’s.
My preflop can help decipher the flop, helping me release my hand if I believe a raise. Also in the event I hit a set, it may look like I was betting with overs, allowing a big pay out from a pocket bigger than the board.
I find my opponents can’t peg me as well with this middle position style.

~(LP 5-7)
If the table folds around, I’ll normally make a decent raise looking to take the blinds. If faced with a reraise, I’d rely on my reads and play from there.
If the table had 4 or 5 callers, again I normally limp, as a raise almost always instigates a reraise, committing my chips to a less than decent hand.
If faced with a raise early, or from a MP, my play varies. If I believe the player is weak, I may reraise to establish his hand, and more often than not, I take the pot down preflop.
If I believe the player is strong, I’ll just call.

2. Small Suited Connectors.
~(BB, SB, UTG)

(4-5, 5-6, 6-7, 7-8, J-10.)
I need some help here.
I love these hands. More often than not, my big double up’s are taken when flopping 2 pair, hitting a weak flush, or even flopping the nut straight, stomping out a Big Pocket.
However, I need some advice with my preflop play.
These are the hands I like to “Switch Gears” as my opponents may become accustom to players raising with big hands UTG, raising UTG may throw a vale over my cards. Callers may expect overs. I don't know why but normally they don't seem to expect a big pocket... sitting on 7-8, Flopping: 3-7-8, allows pk 10’s to think his hand is good, and pays off a good flop.
Is this the right way to play these cards?
How should I play these kind of hands out of my SB or BB. Hands to raise with? Or just hands to see a flop with?

~(MP 2-4)
Again these are the kind of hands I like to bust the nuts with. If there’s a decent raise early, and I’ve got some kind of a chip lead, I wont be afraid to make a looser call and look for a good flop, or some kind of a draw with 12+ outs. If there is a raise behind, depending on the player, and the reaction from the initial raiser, I may call as well depending on the pot odds.
How should I play these cards if the table folds around to my act? Is a raise a good play? Is limping the all around best strategy?

~(LP 5-7)
I generally will just limp into the hand late with a couple of early callers, and an early raise. Raising or Reraising isn’t the ideal play as I’m looking to see a flop and a reraise again commits my chips with a less than premium hand.
If the table again folds to my act, I’ll generally make a bet that imitates a monster hand. Enough to call, but enough to worry about, maybe 4xBB. Its a safe bet that allows me to take the pot with a garbage flop, and if reraised I can let the cards go if I feel necessary.

3. Premiums.
~(BB, SB, UTG)

(AA, KK, AK)
On a very loose table, UTG I wont be afraid to just launch all-in. Its an amateur strategy, but its a play that works with amateur players. In the last month I’ve had AA UTG 6 times on these looser types of tables. I’ve “launched” 4 of the 6, and had a caller 3 times. AJ, AK, and QQ. I took every pot down, and won a very decent amount nearly every time.
However, on a tighter table, I’ll raise 5xBB if its somewhat affordable. If the BB was 150, I wouldn't put it to 600 to call. Its to intimidating. At that point I’d probably make it 400 to go. Its enough to push the garbage out (hopefully) and face down over cards which I have dominated, as I probably as at least one of their nut outs.
I hear a lot of people say not to raise UTG with these kind of hands, worrying that they wont get call. Many guys will limp UTG or early MP looking to get reraised.
I hate that strategy. Not only does it take the play out of your hands, but it allows the “garbage” hands an opportunity to get in cheap and see a lucky flop. If your going to beat my good hands, your going to pay to do it. That's my philosophy, and its worked for me. I can pick at this kind of play all game long. Players who limp with monsters and raise with garbage....
Out of my BB and SB however, I get caught up.
With a lot of callers into the pot, I generally raise 2.5x the pot size. If it was 120 I’d put it to about 400 to go.
Good Raise? Or is it ok to come in cheap here? I’ll be 1 or 2nd to act, and assuming its a garbage flop, say 3 suited cards, none of which I have, the cards are almost out of my hands if I don't raise coming in.

~(MP 2-4)
I play these middle positions the same way I play I play UTG. If I have a raise in front of me, I will reraise more than double his raise. I know it is aggressive, but I find I almost always get a call. If he folds, so what my stack is bigger than what it was a second ago.
If there isn't a raise, I’ll come out firing.
If I’m reraised behind, I’ll push to protect my chips. I’ll normally put him to a decision for his stack right there depending on the amount of his raise.

~(LP 5-7)
If there aren’t a lot of callers out front, I’ll slow down here. I still raise but not as much. Maybe only 2.5x the BB or 3x the BB depending on whether or not I think the player will call. I try to make it look like a blind steal. I hope I’ll get a protection call from the BB, which is better than an all out fold and just winning the blinds. If I get lucky and he catches top pair, I may even be able to break him right there, and hope he doesn’t draw out.
However I do know that this is a dangerous play. I remember doing it once with KK a while back. BB called my raise.
F: 3-5-J
BB flopped a lucky 2 pair J’s and 5’s and busted my hand.
Should I raise more here?
Or is it a good strategy?

4. Hands I’m extremely cautious with

(10’s, JJ’s, QQ’s, AJ, and AQ)
These are the hands I’m leaving to you guys. I have a horrible time with them. AJ is my least favorite hand in Hold Em’...I just can’t stand playing it.
I need your input on how to play these hands in the above positions.

Also, my achilles heal in Texas Hold Em’ is COLD CARDS.
How should I play with these kind of cards such as J 8, Q 9, K7....
Should I play them at all or just sit back and wait?
Should I play more of these hands to mix up my play a bit, looking to pick up pots?
And if yes, how should I play them? Both preflop and on the flop.

And, if you guys would leave any tips or tricks on picking up certain reads, or plays you’ve found that work with certain hands I’

Thanks again for your time guys.
Post what you feel

Bullet.

Derksy1355
05-09-2005, 07:40 PM
My apologies, 88% 60 % this week.

Isura
05-09-2005, 08:18 PM
I'm no good at STT's, so I can't really answer any of your questions. But I found your post helpful for myself. One question is that you mentioned that you usually bet out with a set (22-99) on the flop into the PF raiser, but always fold to a reraise or all-in. Did I misinterpret or is this correct? This is interesting because I usually am much looser with my all-in calls with sets and higher early on.

Derksy1355
05-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Just a little bit misunderstood, but you made me think too.
Preflop, I'm extremly apt to lay down a small pocket to a all in. However if I nail my set, I will pay out a better hand if he draws to it.
If the F was 6, 7, 8 rainbow, and I had a set of 7's of course I'd be much more cautious with a few people involved in the hand, but I've been more succesful playing "non-made" hands such as AK or my small suited connectors, than calling preflop with pockets

lastchance
05-09-2005, 09:10 PM
It depends on the time of day. We, as a forum, are insanely tight preflop levels 1-2, and to a lesser extent, level 3. But with level 4 and level 5 rolling around, we become much more aggressive. A J8o or K7o we wouldn't dream of playing early is suddenly worth a raise, oftentimes all-in. Suited connectors aren't great, but certainly playable in PS.

PP's are nice for flopping a set, though we're generally not insanely cautious with them, even on the 678 board, as two pair, TP, and draws will generally lose their stack to you.

AJ is often a fold, in EP or behind a raiser, hard hand to play, AQ can be laid down pretty easily, though definitely much better. QQ-TT are incredibly different though, they can be played for set value, and it is very easy to flop an overpair and take top pair for a ride.

But as L4 and especially L5 roll around, we push, a lot. We move all-in. Postflop hands don't generally matter much, you're looking for hands that win unimproved, and positions where you can get lots of folding.

Derksy1355
05-09-2005, 11:07 PM
Its levels 3, 4 and 5 where I find myself having the more difficult of times. Even though I establish myself as a tight player, I find it difficult to find the spots to push preflop with these kind of hands.
I dont know if its my mentality set during the early stages, or my fear of running into a big hand with such a raise.
If I was sitting on 3k in chips with 5 people left in a tourney, with blinds @ 75/150 and then 100/ 200, what would be your average raise and when with these kind of hands?
What are the keys to a successful steal preflop?

Thank-you for your advice.

Karak567
05-09-2005, 11:28 PM
Cashing in 88 % and winning 60 % is not sustainable. Expect not to keep those numbers forever. I think a good ITM to shoot for is 45-55 %, although 50-55 % is REAL high end, and might even be unsustainable.

But I'm no expert.