PDA

View Full Version : Greg Raymer is a suckout KING!!!

TylerD
05-09-2005, 06:24 PM
Final Table of the British Poker Open (live on Sky channel 265 for those in the UK).

Greg makes a move with Q8 and raises all-in with medium sized stack. Other guy calls with AKs AND a third guy calls with QQ - no problem for Greg, flop:

9 J x

TURN: you guessed it - T

That's how you win the World Series. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Moovyz
05-09-2005, 06:34 PM
And you never bluffed and got lucky?

toots
05-09-2005, 06:54 PM
While I don;'t necessarily agree with the underlying assertion of the OP, I will say that:

It's a whole lot better to be a suck-out king and posing in front of cameras with your arms wrapped around metric butt-tons of money, than to be broke and on the rail.

TheShootah
05-09-2005, 07:19 PM
No one wins the World Series and cuts through that field, with as big a stack as he did, without being a good player. Everyone sucks out. I love how when a champ sucks out, "They are lucky and that's how they became the champ!", but anyone else it's just lucky. Who cares. It's a game of cards, you get lucky. No one would say anything if he got away with it. You gotta get caught sometimes. If no one ever made moves they would be too readable. I think Gregt was a winning 100-200 player at foxwoods also. Think before you write.

willie
05-09-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Think before you write.

[/ QUOTE ]

loosen up a little bit bub

he's just joking.

TylerD
05-09-2005, 07:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Think before you write.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's just joking.

[/ QUOTE ]

TheShootah
05-09-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Think before you write.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's just joking.

[/ QUOTE ]

my mistake, but with the fair amount of giant D-Bags in this forum, I can't help but go off! /images/graemlins/grin.gif Sorry.

maryfield48
05-09-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Think before you write.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's just joking.

[/ QUOTE ]

my mistake, but with the fair amount of giant D-Bags in this forum, I can't help but go off! /images/graemlins/grin.gif Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's something of a self-fulfilling prophecy in that statement.

byronkincaid
05-09-2005, 09:21 PM
Congratulations Adam. Just woke up in time to see ya win /images/graemlins/smile.gif

efiusa
05-09-2005, 09:26 PM
If Raymer is such a good player, why did he run out of funds and have to get backers in order to continue playing? I think he said he kept his poker money seperate from family spending money. If this is true, doesn't this mean that he didn't really do that well?

I'm interested to know if anyone has insight on this?

A_C_Slater
05-09-2005, 09:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No one wins the World Series and cuts through that field, with as big a stack as he did, without being a good player. Everyone sucks out. I love how when a champ sucks out, "They are lucky and that's how they became the champ!", but anyone else it's just lucky. Who cares. It's a game of cards, you get lucky. No one would say anything if he got away with it. You gotta get caught sometimes. If no one ever made moves they would be too readable. I think Gregt was a winning 100-200 player at foxwoods also. Think before you write.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a game of cards. "It's a wagering game played with cards." --Dan Harrington

And boy can that Raymer fella wager.

Freudian
05-09-2005, 09:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If Raymer is such a good player, why did he run out of funds and have to get backers in order to continue playing? I think he said he kept his poker money seperate from family spending money. If this is true, doesn't this mean that he didn't really do that well?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the top pokerplayers have had backers at one time or another. It doesn't by default mean they are losing players. It is one of the fastest way to play at higher limits/in more events.

The fact that he got backers should tell you enough.

TheShootah
05-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Yeah, Jenn Harmon went broke also. So did Negreanu. Having a backer means nothing. And it seems like a good idea to separate poker money from family money also. I don't get your point.

Publos Nemesis
05-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Raymer was doing well at Foxwoods and online, but he had a signficant downswing. Rather than drop down and rebuild, he decided to reduce his variance and keep playing at the bigger stakes by getting backers. Even before the WSOP he was back to a good win rate. Go check out the Cigar Mag article on him about 6 months back. I would love to have invested in him.

NCAces
05-09-2005, 10:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If Raymer is such a good player, why did he run out of funds and have to get backers in order to continue playing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sources, please. What makes you think he ran out of funds? Who are his backers, etc. Not being a jerk, but when you ask a question like this that relies on what appears to be a false assumption, the question doesn't really matter.

[ QUOTE ]
I think he said he kept his poker money seperate from family spending money. If this is true, doesn't this mean that he didn't really do that well?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is appearant from your post that you have yet to learn about handling a poker bankroll. Please google "poker bankroll management" where you will find a number of excellent articles explaining exactly why what you stated in your post has nothing to do with Greg not doing well.

NCAces

Myrtle
05-09-2005, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For a first post, your choice of wording, with it's clearly negative insinuations, is not something that you should be proud of.

Where are you getting your information? You're putting 2 + 2 together and getting 13.

If you're serious, try again, and ask some well thought out questions.

Publos Nemesis
05-09-2005, 10:37 PM
Source is likely the Cigar Magazine article from about 6 months ago.

He maintained $50k bankroll for several years, using the winnings to pay for landscaping, vacations, and a "upgrade on his wife's engagement ring."

Then after a bad run his BR dropped to $15k.

Raymer said: "I wanted to keep playing in a $150/$300 game at Foxwoods, which was suprisingly easy, but with a $15,000 bankroll I couldn't do it. I needed to raise money."

So he sold shares of himself for $500. In the year and a half before the WSOP his shares were up over 20% after costs and fees. After the WSOP he paid out $2.1 million to his shareholders, or $36,000 for each $500 share.

Without the backers he never would have had the BR to play in the WSOP.

Hopefully this will inspire people to use Google or some other tool to read up before making silly posts.

Myrtle
05-09-2005, 10:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Source is likely the Cigar Magazine article from about 6 months ago.

He maintained $50k bankroll for several years, using the winnings to pay for landscaping, vacations, and a "upgrade on his wife's engagement ring."

Then after a bad run his BR dropped to $15k.

Raymer said: "I wanted to keep playing in a $150/$300 game at Foxwoods, which was suprisingly easy, but with a $15,000 bankroll I couldn't do it. I needed to raise money."

So he sold shares of himself for $500. In the year and a half before the WSOP his shares were up over 20% after costs and fees. After the WSOP he paid out $2.1 million to his shareholders, or $36,000 for each $500 share.

Hopefully this will inspire people to use Google or some other tool to read up before making silly posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

....accuracy is good.....and refreshing.....

nh, sir!!

Yes
05-09-2005, 11:04 PM
Im not sure about the whole arguement(i didnt read any post but I assume theres the whole good player/bad player arguement brewing),But I wish I was the suckout king instead of me.

yct
05-09-2005, 11:08 PM

I personally saw him won the seat on pokerstars from the $160 satellite, so I'm not so sure about your statement above.

Publos Nemesis
05-09-2005, 11:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I personally saw him won the seat on pokerstars from the $160 satellite, so I'm not so sure about your statement above.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quoting verbatim from the article:

Asked if he had regrets having taken [the backers] on, Raymer answers without a moment of hesitation: "I'm happy. Without the backers I might not have been able to play in the Series."

Phill S
05-10-2005, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Im not sure about the whole arguement(i didnt read any post but I assume theres the whole good player/bad player arguement brewing),But I wish I was the suckout king instead of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

theres a reason why you should spend 3-5 minutes reading a thread before responding.

Phill

Jordan Olsommer
05-10-2005, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're putting 2 + 2 together and getting 13.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he's just operating in Base 4 - didja ever think of that?

Muck off
05-10-2005, 01:11 AM
dont u know that saying anything bad about raymer or sklansky will bring these regulars in the forum to tears...what were u thinking be a good 2+2er and kiss there ass like everyone else in here.

Publos Nemesis
05-10-2005, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
....accuracy is good.....and refreshing.....
nh, sir!!

[/ QUOTE ]

ty.

Army Eye
05-10-2005, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He was playing the satellites with the backers' money.

NCAces
05-10-2005, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
dont u know that saying anything bad about raymer or sklansky will bring these regulars in the forum to tears...what were u thinking be a good 2+2er and kiss there ass like everyone else in here.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was just an incredibly innacurate post. I wasn't kissing ass ... I was just wanting OP to support the statements he was making, which he obviously can't. I also gave him some constructive suggestions about learning about bankroll management which might keep him from posting a similar post again.

Certainly you could have picked a better series of posts to complain about the defensive nature of 2+2 when some of its own are criticized.

NCAces

oreogod
05-10-2005, 02:24 AM
50K to 15K at 150/300...its about a 117 BB downswing. I mean its a decent sized downswing, but yeah its even more significant if u are playing on a 50K roll.

Edit: Also as far as backers...he could be talking about pulling a ton of dough together to play in a ton of satellites. 160 a pop does add up. Dunno, I dont know why you would need backers for anything else as once u win the seat PS pays for the rest.

RiverTheNuts
05-10-2005, 05:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hows this work anyway?? Sell off shares of yourself at face value, as per percentage of net poker worth??

500 dollar shares, if he had a 15k bankroll means he could give out about 30 shares and if he sold these 30 shares and then doubled the 15k to 30k, he'd pay them a dividend of 750 back or something? The fact that Im currently taking an accounting class makes me sorta curious how the whole situation goes down

Daniel Hoerr
05-10-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hows this work anyway?? Sell off shares of yourself at face value, as per percentage of net poker worth??

500 dollar shares, if he had a 15k bankroll means he could give out about 30 shares and if he sold these 30 shares and then doubled the 15k to 30k, he'd pay them a dividend of 750 back or something? The fact that Im currently taking an accounting class makes me sorta curious how the whole situation goes down

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out Greg's website FAQ. (http://www.fossilmanpoker.com/faqs.htm)

Click on "8. I'm very interested as to the "IPO" you set up prior to the WSOP. Can you tell me about the deal you had with your backers?"

Moovyz
05-10-2005, 12:04 PM
How True!

Moovyz
05-10-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

theres a reason why you should spend 3-5 minutes reading a thread before responding.

Phill

[/ QUOTE ]

He should also spend a second or two proofing his reply. What the heck does the last sentence mean?

kodonnell
05-10-2005, 01:05 PM
OMG, you people which bitch and moan about bad beats should all go play chess. People, this is poker, if you play enough, you will get your fair share of bad beats....and I guarantee you will give them too (but you won't write about those, will you?).

Lurshy
05-10-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

In base 4, 13=7 but thanks for playing.

Yes
05-10-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Phill

[/ QUOTE ] wtf are you talking about? Im just saying that I'd rather be lucky than good...so the arguement is irrelevent..

Yes
05-10-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Phill

[/ QUOTE ]

He should also spend a second or two proofing his reply. What the heck does the last sentence mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

The last sentence means exactly what it says: I wish i was the suckout king instead of me. Let me explain it to you: If there was a suckout king, I would rather be a suckout king than be me, a marginal poker player. Think before you respond negatively.

Jordan Olsommer
05-10-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

In base 4, 13=7 but thanks for playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey no problem - thanks for being a complete douchebag. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

JohnG
05-11-2005, 09:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
dont u know that saying anything bad about raymer or sklansky will bring these regulars in the forum to tears....

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the accuracy and motive of what is said.