PDA

View Full Version : What's Pro's job?

08-30-2001, 12:07 PM
Hi,

Truck drivers make money by delivering some products from point A to point B. If you work at a Toyota repair shop, youÕll make money by repairing Toyota cars. If youÕre a singer, youÕll make money by singing songs or selling CDs.

If you're a professional poker player, you'll make money by doing what?

Hope my question is clear and thanks for your comments.

by Soh the Pro

p.s. Éby the way, I donÕt think poker is a zero-sum gameÉ

08-30-2001, 12:49 PM
the singer and the pro are both in the entertainment business

singer gets paid for skills in singing, entertaing those who enjay such

the pro (may) get paid for helping provide a game in which some other people enjoy playing

08-31-2001, 12:06 PM
n/t

08-31-2001, 02:08 PM
His job? Why it's to make money of course, by exploiting the weaknesses of other players.

His role? I think it's similar to the professional stock trader. Every time a pro stock trader makes $$ it means someone else lost it. But by his very presense, he provides a market in which to trade.

09-01-2001, 04:17 PM
Soh:

Could not agree with Kevin's response more. A professional poker player is identical to a stock broker, an insurance salesman, and a race track tout. A professional poker player is compensated by winning pots and in the process allows there to be a market in his commodity that many enjoy.

Frank Donnelly

P.S. If someone asks what you do for a living, tell them you are a risk arbitragure and you will be telling the absolute truth.

09-03-2001, 03:31 PM
The stock broker is not the pro. The stock broker is the house. The broker makes money no matter who wins or loses.

Alden Chase

09-06-2001, 08:25 PM
Alden-

A stock brokering and stock trading are two seperate activities. I was referring to a stock trader...

09-07-2001, 09:17 AM
Soh:

I have found that I make money in the game if I raise

Michael D's big blind as often as the "golden opportunity" presents itself.