PDA

View Full Version : Yet another (useless?) KK post

TakeMeToTheRiver
05-09-2005, 03:44 PM
Live 1/2 NL game. Some big stacks. Hero has just under $300. Villain (BB) has just over $300. Hero has just been forced to moved to this table from a must-move game and has only seen a few hands. Villain has not done anything signficant during that time.

Hero in SB with KK. Five limpers and Hero makes it $20. BB raises to $40. Everyone else folds. Hero calls.

Flop is 789 rainbow.

Hero checks. BB bets $50.

What should Hero do?

swolfe
05-09-2005, 04:16 PM
hero should have led the flop, i think

as played...dunno. a raise commits you. i'm torn between folding and calling down.

i think i'd call and lead the turn

DoubleDown
05-09-2005, 05:04 PM
The way you've played it ... I think you need to stack off here ... only hand you're obviously worried about is AA. Even without a read on villain his range of hands is still pretty large. He could be making a similar move with AK AQ QQ JJ (KK). or he could be on a lesser hand ... he may have been thinking that you (in the SB) sensed weakness in the field and tried to pick up the weak calls and end the hand pre-flop.

As far as lines to take:
the way you played it ... ~$90 in the pot preflop - he bets $50 -- you C/R allin (~$250) making it $200 for him to call (pot size= $390)

I think another way to play it would have been to 3-bet preflop (to ~$100+) ... then fold to an all-in(?) that may actually be the safest line considering you dont have any read on the villain/table as you just recently got moved to the table.

TakeMeToTheRiver
05-09-2005, 05:05 PM
My gut told me that this guy was playing a good hand -- AA, KK, QQ, AK -- possibly JJ. He just didn't seem like the type of player who was making a move from the BB (there were certainly players like that at the table).

crazygoose
05-09-2005, 05:25 PM
I make it 100 preflop and then consider a fold if he pushes. With the line you took: that check showed serious weakness so he could easily be trying to take it down right there with AK AQ QQ JJ AA or something like that. I think you're beating enough of those hands to either call and lead the turn or c/r to ~150.

TakeMeToTheRiver
05-09-2005, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The way you've played it ... I think you need to stack off here ...

[/ QUOTE ]

As it turns out, I c-r to $150. I thought I might scare BB off the AA. BB thinks for quite a while, shrugs and calls... While he was thinking, I realize that I should have stacked off because I am now pot-committed if he calls (and probably if he raises me all-in right here).

[ QUOTE ]

As far as lines to take:
the way you played it ... ~$90 in the pot preflop - he bets $50 -- you C/R allin (~$250) making it $200 for him to call (pot size= $390)

I think another way to play it would have been to 3-bet preflop (to ~$100+) ... then fold to an all-in(?) that may actually be the safest line considering you dont have any read on the villain/table as you just recently got moved to the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I thought to. Raise to $90 - $100 and fold to an all-in.

It is also why I hate getting a big hand early in a session when I don't have any reads.

TakeMeToTheRiver
05-09-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I make it 100 preflop and then consider a fold if he pushes. With the line you took: that check showed serious weakness so he could easily be trying to take it down right there with AK AQ QQ JJ AA or something like that. I think you're beating enough of those hands to either call and lead the turn or c/r to ~150.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did check with the intention of raisings -- so I c-r to $150. He calls after a long delay and I realize that I am pot committed.