PDA

View Full Version : Ever play at tables you know you should avoid?

lstream
05-09-2005, 02:08 PM
Last night I sat a 5/10 table that had all the markings of a good game - big pots, long waiting list and at least two LAG's. I guess I was not the only one to notice, because after about 10 minutes TheIronChef sits down. From what I hear, Chef is an absolute top drawer player who some here think is the best Stud player at Party.

My only experience playing against her was a short session a day or two earlier. After a couple of more changes, it was clear that most of the players were very solid, except for one obvious fish, and maybe one other player who was a bit too loose.

The smart thing to do would be to find another table right? It was clear that it was going to be a real grind to make any money at that table. Anyway, I decided to stay because I thought maybe I could learn something.

Do you guys avoid these kind of tables at all costs? I ended up playing about two hours and I found the experience to be really enjoyable, not for the profitability, but for the challenge of being up against such good players. The chat was a lot of fun too - well into the evening there was a discussion that this was a particularly tough table. Chef and another player had a long list of players that we could have used at the table. None of you guys were on that list /images/graemlins/wink.gif

The fish lost quite a bit of money, and the rest of us kind of traded cash between each other for most of the time. I was fortunate enough to end up ahead, but well below a decent BB/hr rate.

I was wondering if many of you guys make the decision sometimes to stay at a table that is not likely going to be very profitable, so that you can take on the tougher players and see what happens and to observe good players close up? I won't be doing this very often in any event, because I suspect the bank roll would take a beating.

beta1607
05-09-2005, 02:32 PM
There is something to be said for playing against better competition to get better. However, as a rule - I like to avoid any table with a wait list of more then 3-4 players because by the time you get a seat it will be a rock-fest. I also think that you will learn more profitbale lessons from how a good opponent takes money from a fish then how good players play against eachother.

FeliciaLee
05-09-2005, 02:47 PM
This is one of the last bastions of world class poker. Some of the best players I know are reeling when they leave a table, mumbling about table selection and "I knew I should have gotten up when..."

At the very highest limits, players make this mistake. Overcoming it on a regular basis is a huge leap in your overall success at poker.

Felicia /images/graemlins/smile.gif

BeerMoney
05-09-2005, 05:14 PM
No, I never do this. However, there are good players that I do better against than others... Or ones I lose less money to than others. For example, I really don't mind if IronChef is at my table for the fact that she isn't too lag.. I find a LAG that plays well can wipe out a table, whereas playing at a table with TAG's can be profitable if there is one or two fish due to the fact that they take turns scaling the fish.

I play poker for 2 reasons:
1.) Have fun
2.) Win/Make a little money.

For me, playing against loose players meet these criteria best for me. There's nothing worse than hitting a big hand and having no one there to pay you off.

Spidurman
05-09-2005, 05:17 PM
I look at an abnormally tough table as a cheaper way to test my skill as to where I stand on the food chain and when to move up a notch.

CarlosChadha
05-09-2005, 07:58 PM
Hi All,

I think it is a great idea playing at a table where there are a couple players who are better than you, because that is a great way to learn. My ideal table is one were there are one or two players that are better than me and one or two that are worst...that way I learn and make money at the same time. Also, I personally get bored real fast playing against a table full of bad player against whom I must play straightforwardly. I like having to think through and solve problems, and bad players rarely require much thinking to beat. Of course, I have some friends that absolutly love playing vs. bad players and destroying them...what ever floats your boat I guess:-)

Regards,
Carlos

timmer
05-09-2005, 11:08 PM
the only time I do this is when Im interested in competitive challanges. Challanges can be good for your game because they force you to learn, to grow. so you shouldnt gage your gain strictly monitarily when you play in such a game but rather intellectually by what you learned or were exposed to.

But you must be prepaired for the very real possibility that your brash contention or wanting for competitive challange may COST You in the short or intermediate term and weigh that against what you might gain.

But for the most part stick to the soft game and dont go looking to get your head kicked in.

~t

Andy B
05-11-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you guys avoid these kind of tables at all costs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. I avoid tougher hold'em games, but with stud/8, I can't just pick and choose, and the game has to be going when the live ones show up. And if you enjoy that kind of game, great. It is fun to lock horns with good players. There are more profitable things you can do with your time, but so what? If your primary objective is making money, though, find another game.