PDA

View Full Version : Sour hard candy

Blarg
05-09-2005, 12:53 PM
Once every few years, even though I never eat candy, I'll get hit by nostalgia for the sour candy I used to be able to get as s kid -- lemon drops and sour balls.

Problem is, sour hard candy really isn't sour any more. Lemon drops are sweet, and at most have a tiny hint of sourness that instantly goes away. Sour balls are usually even worse, being sour not even for an instant. I miss the candy that was so sour it would make your mouth hurt and your face twist up when you popped the first one into your mouth and got used to the shock.

Does anybody know where you can still get sour hard candies that are actually still sour? Price is not really an object since I only eat candy once every few years, at the very very most. Mail ordering from a specialty house or whatever is fine. I'm willing to pay for quality, because years of occasionally trying to find a really good sour hard candy has always left me disappointed. So who's got some favorites or knows where to get the good stuff?

wacki
05-09-2005, 01:11 PM
When I was in highschool I took regular lemon drops and rolled them in citric acid. Kids in my highschool loved it so much that I got called to the principals office. They thought I was dealing drugs.

I suggest you do the same:
http://www.google.com/froogle?q=citric+acid&btnG=Search+Froogle

Warheads and Megawarheads super sour candy are pretty good if you don't want to make your own. They don't have the same taste as my favorite lemon drops coated in citric acid but they sure do have one hell of a bite!

BiffMan
05-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Napoleon lemon sours are pretty good (also come in other flavors), but they do get most of their sourness from the powder filling inside them, so not sure if they'd stay sour enough the whole way through for you, but worth a look if you haven't tried them. Should be available from most mall-type candy stores.

Zots are also good and even though they're referred to as "classic" candy these days, they're not too hard to track down.

Blarg
05-09-2005, 01:50 PM
Ok thanks for the recommendations.

Blarg
05-09-2005, 02:03 PM
Hmm, I've consumed quite a bit of citric acid in my day, because it's Vitamin C, but the problem with a coating is that once it's in your mouth, it comes off right away, and then you're still basically left with a sugar cube.

I'll see if I can find the Warheads dealies.

I don't seem to see these ones you guys are recommending at my local stores.

Anybody got a mail order recommendation?

gumpzilla
05-09-2005, 02:05 PM
Warheads are very, very sour for about 5 seconds, and then they become quite sweet. The first few seconds are pretty intense, though.

Victor
05-09-2005, 02:16 PM
the big crybaby's were by far the sourest back in the day. they pwn warheads.

one thing to consider, tho, is that as a kid your tastebuds are more sensitive since they have eroded less over the years. that is why kids generally like bland, ordinary food. as, you get older your taste buds wear away some so food that used to be too intense (like sour candy, or, especially, super spicy foods) become very palatable.

BiffMan
05-09-2005, 02:16 PM
The Napoleon sours stay sour for a pretty good amount of time since the sour powder on the inside just kinda leaks out while you're sucking on it. Just have to resist the urge to bite into them too quickly... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Haven't ever ordered them online, so don't know where to recommend, but might try Googling for them. Noticed that even Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001WZUBQ/sr=1-3/qid=1115662426/ref=sr_1_3/104-4769733-5331934?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=3586271&s=gourmet-food&v=glance) has some, although a 7 lb bag (cheap at $30) might be a smidge more than you'd want just to sample them.