PDA

View Full Version : Push vs. Stop and Go

chopchoi
05-09-2005, 12:08 PM
What types of circumstances make a stop and go preferable to a pre-flop push?

Sam T.
05-09-2005, 12:38 PM
I think that stack size is an important factor, as it shapes folding equity on a given hand.

At the $11s, you will see people min-raise for 1/3 to 1/2 their stack on the button. (Stupid? Yes.) If you re-raise all-in, they will undoubtedly (and correctly) call. If, however, you stop and go, and the flopped missed them, they will often lay down their hand.

The same principle applies if you are the short-stack, and can be pretty effective no matter what cards you have. Depending on stack sizes, I will sometimes call for a good chunk of my stack, and then push any flop. I'm not sure if it is a good idea.

Sam

mjm
05-09-2005, 12:54 PM
I find stop & go quite effective when you are short-stacked, in big-blind and weak. If I get called or am against a min-raise with trash & don't feel I can let the blind go I will check/call and push, hoping they missed their flop, (I'm amazed at how often this works!) If I feel I may be better pre-flop, or I am so short that their is no chance of getting a fold on the flop i'm just going to push and hope for the best.

chopchoi
05-09-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think that stack size is an important factor, as it shapes folding equity on a given hand.

At the $11s, you will see people min-raise for 1/3 to 1/2 their stack on the button. (Stupid? Yes.) If you re-raise all-in, they will undoubtedly (and correctly) call. If, however, you stop and go, and the flopped missed them, they will often lay down their hand.

The same principle applies if you are the short-stack, and can be pretty effective no matter what cards you have. Depending on stack sizes, I will sometimes call for a good chunk of my stack, and then push any flop. I'm not sure if it is a good idea.

Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

So you use the stop and go for calling other people's bets, especially from the blinds. Are there any situations where you will use it first in? Like, if you have 10-15 BB in your stack, and you think that there is a good chance a bet of one third of your stack will be called, would you ever bet a third of your stack pf and then push the flop, or would you always push pf?