PDA

View Full Version : united states v. murphy...hilarity ensues

lucas9000
05-09-2005, 11:33 AM
every now and then the law can be fun...here's an excerpt from the 7th circuit's decision in us v. murphy:

[ QUOTE ]
On the evening of May 29, 2003, Hayden was smoking crack with three other folks at a trailer park home on Chain of Rocks Road in Granite City, Illinois. Murphy, Sr., who had sold drugs to Hayden several years earlier, showed up later that night. He was friendly at first, but he soon called Hayden a "snitch bitch hoe" n1 and hit her in the head with the back of his hand. He said he saw her name in discovery materials from his son's criminal case and that she was responsible for putting him in jail. He put a gun -- a small chrome-plated one -- to her head and said he was going to kill her for putting his son in jail. He said this would be her last night and her body would be found in a ditch. Murphy then placed several calls, telling Hayden he was calling his people to get someone to dispose of her car.

n1 The trial transcript quotes Ms. Hayden as saying Murphy called her a snitch bitch "hoe." A "hoe," of course, is a tool used for weeding and gardening. We think the court reporter, unfamiliar with rap music (perhaps thankfully so), misunderstood Hayden's response. We have taken the liberty of changing "hoe" to "ho," a staple of rap music vernacular as, for example, when Ludacris raps "You doin' ho activities with ho tendencies."

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, this is real. i confirmed it.

Monkeyslacks
05-09-2005, 11:39 AM
cite?

PhatTBoll
05-09-2005, 11:41 AM
This has to be Easterbrook.

Monkeyslacks
05-09-2005, 12:00 PM
nm

2005 U.S. App. LEXIS 7695

EVANS, Circuit Judge

Good stuff.

PhatTBoll
05-09-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
EVANS, Circuit Judge

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh. I guess I just thought that Easterbrook had let his brother start writing opinions for him.