PDA

View Full Version : Theoretical change to hit by pitch rules in MLB

Clarkmeister
11-25-2002, 03:35 PM
Today on the Dan Patrick Show, while discussing the "issue" of players like Bonds wearing body armor in the batters box, an interesting comment was made. Dan Patrick said that MLB should change the rule to say that if a pitch hits you on body armor, it is just a ball and you are not granted first base. A pitch would have to hit your actual body for that to happen. Peter Gammons agreed.

I agree.

What do you all think?

11-25-2002, 03:43 PM
I would agree in principle, however batting helmets are armor, are you/Patrick/gammons saying as long as it hits the helmet its a ball. i would be more in favor of doing away with the body armor and playing by the current rule. Honestly, Barry bonds hurt his elbow 6 years ago, does he still need the arm protector that he wears now?

Clarkmeister
11-25-2002, 03:50 PM
I think its pretty obvious that batting helmets would not be considered armor in this case since they are part of standard uniform.

I don't know how you could legislate against people wearing armor in the batters box if they truly need it for medical reasons over a still-healing injury. Well, I suppose you could, but that would probabaly be impossible to regulate and more hassle than its worth.

11-25-2002, 03:57 PM
They now have a rule limiting body armor to those players who have injuries. Goes back to my last post, Bonds has been healed for years but continues to wear armor on his entire right arm. You would think when you hit 70+ home runs, they would declare him healed and have him take off the armor.

Clarkmeister
11-25-2002, 03:59 PM
"You'd think when he hit 70+ homeruns they'd declare him healed"

ROFL - That is some funny funny [censored].

11-25-2002, 04:05 PM
So glad I could amuse you

HDPM
11-25-2002, 04:51 PM
If MLB had a real strike zone this would not be a problem. If MLB actually did what they've been threatening and made a pitch 18 inches outside a ball and a pitch 6 inches above the belt a strike, some sanity might return. Hitters wouldn't have to crowd the plate and risk being hit by balls that are barely inside. I'd raise the mound back to where it should be though. Maybe then we could have 2-1 games that last 2 hours. But maybe I'm the only one who likes that. I sure don't watch a lot now.

Clarkmeister
11-25-2002, 04:54 PM
I also think the mound should be raised.

The inside strike is largely a huge chicken and egg problem.

Pitchers don't pitch inside so the hitters crowd the plate. Hitters crowd the plate so the umps call more outside strikes. Umps call those outside strikes so the pitchers dont pitch inside.

Six_of_One
11-25-2002, 04:55 PM
That's not a bad idea, but it doesn't go far enough. There is already a rule stating that a player must make an effort to get out of the way of a ball, or else he does not get a free base. This rule is never enforced, and I mean never, ever, ever, ever. In my life, I have never once seen an umpire make this call.

It is often clear that a player is making no effort to get out of the way...simply call that pitch a strike, and let the at-bat continue. That would solve the problem.

Homer
11-25-2002, 09:01 PM
I don't necessarily agree, but what I do think is that if you get hit by a pitch that is no more than 6 inches inside it should not be a hit by pitch. It should just be a ball.

-- Homer