PDA

View Full Version : Losing weight.

Nick B.
05-09-2005, 03:08 AM
Can I? I figure that I will start trying tomorrow. Last summer I lost about 30 pounds before putting it back on the last 4 months. I was blacktopping as a summer job, which I won't be doing now. Last year I really wanted to lose weight, now I really know I should lose weight, but don't really feel like it.

I just weighed myself and am at 265 (and am 6'2"). I was at 233 at my low point last October. I also think that I have lost muscle which isn't good. I have a bowflex and an exercise bike (http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1426829&cp=1382081&page=2&doVS earch=no&pageBucket=0&parentPage=family) . I hate working out. It isn't something that I will ever like. When I played football in high school, we had to work out and I hated it. I hate running. Besides being so lazy when it comes to exercise I have always been better than decent at sports that i have played. My city and county isn't exactly in the top tier of athletes though.

I will try to stick to the diet of Bagel w/ cream cheese for breakfast, dry turkey sandwich on wheat for lunch and a lean cuisine for dinner. It seemed to work last time. Also a banana or yogurt for a snack. I really don't want to give up applebees and pizza, so that will be hard. I will try to use my bowflex everyday, but I don't know how well that will go, since I feel like I am at the point where I am too fat to work out.

Anyways, that is about it.

Popinjay
05-09-2005, 03:11 AM
play some DDR. if you like it and get hooked you'll lose a lot guarenteed

ZeeJustin
05-09-2005, 03:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I played DDR for the first time recently, and I think this will actually be my plan. I don't need to lose weight, but I definately need to start working out, but can't find any convenient cardio activities enjoyable other than this.

Ianco15
05-09-2005, 03:15 AM
Will power.

shant
05-09-2005, 03:40 AM
I made a weight loss money bet with my roomate and a friend. I lost 31 pounds by just not eating such crap all the time, and I started running on the treadmill. After 4 months of that, I'm lighter, feel better, and I actually ate Taco Bell for the first time after not eating it for months and now it tastes like [censored] to me.

By the way, I was 6'3" and 245, so pretty much your size. Maybe if money is on the line that will boost your willpower.

Tron
05-09-2005, 03:47 AM
This is a good idea. The shame of losing a bet and the suckiness of losing money will usually motivate me to do... Yeah, pretty much anything.

PokerFink
05-09-2005, 03:55 AM
Couple of thoughts.

1) Weight training doesn't seem like the answer for you. Building muscle won't help you lose weight, as muscle is heavier than fat. Plus, it sounds like your protein intake is low, so you won't be building much muscle anyway. Aerobic exercise is bettor for losing weight.

2) If you don't like running, try swimming. Swimming laps burns an enormous amount of calories, is less stressful for your body, and more fun (IMO).

3) I don't know what your diet is like, but replacing soda with water is a very easy way to cut calories out of your diet. If you hate water, try gatorade, since it has less than half the calories of soda.

4) If you can't cut out pizza and applebees, thats ok. But DON'T drink alcohol when you eat these foods. Alcohol intake actually hurts the body's ability to break down fat, and these foods are obviously very high in fat.

handsome
05-09-2005, 04:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I will try to stick to the diet of Bagel w/ cream cheese for breakfast, dry turkey sandwich on wheat for lunch and a lean cuisine for dinner.

[/ QUOTE ]

It shouldn't be your weight that you should be concerned about. You should be aiming to reduce your body fat percentage. To achieve that, stop eating [censored] like bagels, get a lot of activity (walking, running, dancing, swimming, etc), drink a lot of liquids (no juice or soda) and eat smaller meals more frequently.

scott8
05-09-2005, 04:12 AM
Building muscle does help you burn fat faster.

gvibes
05-09-2005, 04:17 AM
Don't eat bagels. High glycemic index carbs are bad, and bagels have a ton of them.

Find a sport you like playing, and do it. You don't have to do physical activity to lose weight, but it's good for other reasons. You don't need to weight train every day. Actually, you shouldn't weight train every day, particularly at the beginning.

Bananas are pretty much the highest calorie fruit (although incredibly high in nurtrients). I would more fibrous fruits, like apples or pears.

I also don't know how healthy lean cuisine. Learn about dietary stuff. If don't know what fats are good, and what carbs are good, you have a problem. For instance, a homemade chicken breast with salad w/ an olive oil vinagrette would probably be healthier and cheaper than a lean cuisine.

shant
05-09-2005, 04:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For instance, a homemade chicken breast with salad w/ an olive oil vinagrette would probably be healthier and cheaper than a lean cuisine.

[/ QUOTE ]
Tastier too.

Redmen62
05-09-2005, 04:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

1) Weight training doesn't seem like the answer for you. Building muscle won't help you lose weight, as muscle is heavier than fat. Plus, it sounds like your protein intake is low, so you won't be building much muscle anyway. Aerobic exercise is bettor for losing weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weight training, real weight training would be of enormous benefit, for varous reasons which I won't bother listing since you sound pretty set against "working out", but PM me if you change your mind. If you're going to try to do this with diet alone, which can certainly be done to a point, then handsome had the idea. Many, small meals, litle food and no carbs after dinner, lots of fluids, lots of veggies/fiber. Don't drink calories.

If you get more serious, check out the nutrition or fat loss forums at bodybuilding.com.

gvibes
05-09-2005, 04:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You lose weight when the amount of calories taken in is less than the amount of calories burned. You can burn calories by physical activity. Big muscles also burn calories. Personally, I feel that people should both lift and do cardio-related activities.
[ QUOTE ]
3) I don't know what your diet is like, but replacing soda with water is a very easy way to cut calories out of your diet. If you hate water, try gatorade, since it has less than half the calories of soda.

[/ QUOTE ]

No-one should be drinking soda. It's just pure garbage. Gatorade isn't much better. Also just simple sugars. It is more watered down, so it has fewer calories.

Nick B.
05-09-2005, 04:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Will power.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't have any

[ QUOTE ]
I made a weight loss money bet with my roomate and a friend. I lost 31 pounds by just not eating such crap all the time, and I started running on the treadmill. After 4 months of that, I'm lighter, feel better, and I actually ate Taco Bell for the first time after not eating it for months and now it tastes like [censored] to me.

By the way, I was 6'3" and 245, so pretty much your size. Maybe if money is on the line that will boost your willpower.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to make a $5 bet with my friend that I could lose a certain amount, but never got around to it. I am up 2 $5 bets with him already. I bet him that somebody that was engaged to be married a year from the time we made the bet, wouldn't get married. I also won when I bet him that our friend's relationship wouldn't last 3 months (It didn't last 3 weeks).

[ QUOTE ]
Couple of thoughts.

2) If you don't like running, try swimming. Swimming laps burns an enormous amount of calories, is less stressful for your body, and more fun (IMO).

4) If you can't cut out pizza and applebees, thats ok. But DON'T drink alcohol when you eat these foods. Alcohol intake actually hurts the body's ability to break down fat, and these foods are obviously very high in fat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am more concerned with how I actually look than a specific weight amount. I do drink more water on my diet. 1 gallon a day. It isn't like I can't cut out applebee's and pizza, but I don't really want to.

[ QUOTE ]
To achieve that, stop eating [censored] like bagels, get a lot of activity (walking, running, dancing, swimming, etc), drink a lot of liquids (no juice or soda) and eat smaller meals more frequently.

[/ QUOTE ]

A bagel is possibly the best thing I eat all day. I don't think you realize what I eat in a typical day.

[ QUOTE ]
I also don't know how healthy lean cuisine. Learn about dietary stuff. If don't know what fats are good, and what carbs are good, you have a problem. For instance, a homemade chicken breast with salad w/ an olive oil vinagrette would probably be healthier and cheaper than a lean cuisine.

[/ QUOTE ]

DO you realize how easy lean cuisine's are to make?

PokerFink
05-09-2005, 04:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am more concerned with how I actually look than a specific weight amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, well that changes things. Obviously weight training is important if you want to improve your appearence, but just lifting weights won't get you very far, you will have to adjust your whole diet.

However, I am in no way qualified to explain how to do this, since I'm a scrawny little bitch. I just know a few things from my buddy, who is a very, very hardcore body builder.

Nick B.
05-09-2005, 04:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Weight training, real weight training would be of enormous benefit, for varous reasons which I won't bother listing since you sound pretty set against "working out", but PM me if you change your mind. If you're going to try to do this with diet alone, which can certainly be done to a point, then handsome had the idea. Many, small meals, litle food and no carbs after dinner, lots of fluids, lots of veggies/fiber. Don't drink calories.

If you get more serious, check out the nutrition or fat loss forums at bodybuilding.com.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not completely against working out, but I am really bad at it and I don't really like it. I do know that working out has a lot of benefits.

Tron
05-09-2005, 04:41 AM
I am surprised no one suggested this: Put the exercise bike in front of the TV.

Try and never sit still. Instead of sitting on the couch eating and eating chips while you watch TV, use the exercise bike, do sit-ups, do push-ups, or stretch. This is a really easy way to incorporate an hour or two of cardio work into every day.

gvibes
05-09-2005, 04:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
... but just lifting weights won't get you very far, you will have to adjust your whole diet.

However, I am in no way qualified to explain how to do this, since I'm a scrawny little bitch. I just know a few things from my buddy, who is a very, very hardcore body builder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lift weights. Eat a lot of protein (a beginners' target would be half of body weight, so 130 grams, which is quite a bit). It isn't rocket science.

Wozza
05-09-2005, 04:46 AM
Walk. Walk everywhere. Walk to work and walk home and walk in your lunch hour. Walk to the pub, walk to the gym, walk to the game. And then walk some more. Get up early and go for a walk. Go for a walk before you go to bed. Take every opportunity to get mobile.

I started walking with a view to get running again, but found that I was less knackered and felt fitter by keeping up the walking (up to 3 1/3 hours a day during the week). Takes less out of you.

Then give up eating crap. No booze Monday through to Friday, then enjoy yourself over the weekend.

I lost 12 kilos in 12 weeks.

shant
05-09-2005, 04:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was going to make a $5 bet with my friend that I could lose a certain amount, but never got around to it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think making the weight loss bet a money amount that is significant to you would make you strive to lose more weight. If $5 is significant to you, I apologize.

uw_madtown
05-09-2005, 04:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just reading this thread has prompted me to check around online on prices for a decent exercise bike. I think I'll run to Dick's Sporting Goods tomorrow and see if I can't get a nice one for sub-$150.

If I plop that thing square in my apartment then I won't have much excuse for NOT using it.

gvibes
05-09-2005, 04:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just reading this thread has prompted me to check around online on prices for a decent exercise bike. I think I'll run to Dick's Sporting Goods tomorrow and see if I can't get a nice one for sub-$150.

If I plot that thing square in my apartment then I won't have much excuse for NOT using it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another option. If you have a real bike, get a trainer. Bike + trainer takes up less space than Bike + exercise bike.

uw_madtown
05-09-2005, 05:01 AM
No bike, so this isn't an option.

Blarg
05-09-2005, 05:17 AM
Pizza is one of the best things ever, but it will destroy your diet. I remember reading one fitness model saying he figures he can eat pizza like twice a year heheh. It really is nasty when it comes to gaining weight. If you're going to try to eat pizza and lose weight, look into liposuction or stomach stapling.

Seriously though, try to replace a lot of what you eat with fruits and vegetables. It's a lot more satisfying than eating tiny portions and being hungry all the time. Vegetables are mostly water, and you can gorge yourself on them and stil drop weight at an insane rate, as long as you don't put high calorie sauces on them. A little butter, rice vinegar, soy sauce, herbs, lemon juice, whatever, will do you fine.

I remember for a while I ate mostly chicken and fish and tofu, and steamed vegetables and fruit, and I could eat like a horse because there were so few calories in all of it, yet the weight just practically fell off me like crazy. And believe me brother, when I say I can eat, I mean it. Eat just chicken, fish, lean meat, and vegetables, with just the occasional carb, and you won't be able to keep fat on your body almost no matter how much you eat. And the nutrition will be great, and you'll feel fantastic all the time. Can't beat a diet where you can eat as much as you want and it's easy to stay on.

Of course, if you're drinking much soda and/or booze, you're in for a rough time ever getting weight off, too.

Good luck. Losing weight can be pretty easy if you just eat the right foods. The problem is almost nobody eats right anymore.

Jazza
05-09-2005, 06:22 AM
i find the absolute easiest way to lose weight is go running in the morning 5 times a week

start off running one mile, slowly build up to 5 miles a day

this increases your metabolism and at least in my case actually decreases your apetite, so you don't really have to watch how much sugar and fat you are eating, as long as you are getting enough of the vitamins and proteins and all that you need

Jack of Arcades
05-09-2005, 07:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my plan.

bisonbison
05-09-2005, 07:41 AM
If you work out five times a week, your weight will pretty much take care of itself.

Monday - lift #1
Tuesday - cardio
Wednesday - lift #2
Thursday - cardio
Friday - lift #1
Saturday - rest
Sunday - lift #2
Monday - cardio
Tuesday - lift #1
Wednesday - cardio
Thursday - lift #2
Friday - rest
Saturday - lift #1
Sunday - rest
and so on and so forth ad infinitum, where lift #1 is something like arms, chest, upper back and lift #2 is something like legs, abs, lower back.

masonx
05-09-2005, 07:42 AM
Low calorie intake, eat cereal in the morning that is high in dietary fiber, like kashi. Rest of your meal seems fine.

Lots of water and exercise too. Its the only way.

Pocket Trips
05-09-2005, 09:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't really want to.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is half the battle right there...Losing weight to win a bet is ok for the short term (been there, done that) but you will go right back to the size you are now if you don't make some very basic lifestyle changes becuase you want to not to win a bet or any other reason....

It is very hard to stick to a "diet" because the minute you eat something you aren't supposed to you start feeling guilty and then tell yourself " oh well i screwed up now so it won't matter if i eat McDonalds for dinner"

Just start eating healthier... a good way to do this is to make it more convenient to eat healthy than to eat junk food.... when you go to do your food shopping buy healthy food only then when you get that urge for a snack you will either have to go out of your house to buy it or you can have an orange you bought at the grocery store...Make your natural laziness work for you not against you /images/graemlins/wink.gif

fnord_too
05-09-2005, 09:37 AM
Suck it up and excercize. Just do 20-30 minutes of cardio a day. Eating better is certainly good, too, but I wouldn't cut out everything I love. Maybe try eating out at different types of places more. (Pho, Vietnamese noodle soup, is awesome when done right. Additionally, I think it is even healthy. That ends my "try new foods" section.)

AEKDBet
05-09-2005, 10:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am more concerned with how I actually look than a specific weight amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, well that changes things. Obviously weight training is important if you want to improve your appearence, but just lifting weights won't get you very far, you will have to adjust your whole diet.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should have titled your post losing fat, and although most of the time people understand what you mean by "losing weight", for someone to imply that lifting weights will not help you is idiotic.

-You will have marginal results with just cardio

-Great results with proper weight training + cardio.

And yes, diet is huge. The saying goes "abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym"

Guthrie
05-09-2005, 10:15 AM
The bagel exceeds your daily carbohydrate allowance. The wheat toast doubles it. The Lean Cuisine triples it. The banana quadruples it.

The American Heart Association finally ate crow after a few decades of stuffing Americans full of carbs. The federal government just recently admitted that the food pyramid is upside down.

HopeydaFish
05-09-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Building muscle does help you burn fat faster.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can attest to this fact. I was 190 (5'11") and decided to do something about it. I completely changed my diet and went to the gym 4 or 5 days a week. I only did weight training at the gym, though -- I hate aerobic exercise, I find it too boring. Within six months I was down to 170, but had also built up a bit of bulk. Without the extra muscle I would have been down to 160 or so, I'm guessing.

Jeffage
05-09-2005, 11:37 AM
If, after 6 months or whatever, you're not down to the weight you want, you have to donate $500 to some kinda heart research type charity. Take out the $500, give it to a friend to hold. If you don't meet your goals, he will keep the cash and write a check for you.

But seriously...I've been on a low calorie (1300-1500) diet lately and it's working for me. My rules have been:

Breakfast: Granola bar and coffee.

Lunch: Small portions. Generally avoid: Cheese, fried items, lots of bread, mayonaise (mustard instead), high cal salad dressings, potato chips. Keep lunch to like 500 cals totally (many chain places have nutrition info on website).

Dinner: 500-700 calories. Chicken breasts, turkey burgers, lean ground beef (occasional), portabello mushrooms, small portions of pasta, some tv dinners, lighters soups, etc.

Also, drink nothing but water and obv avoid desserts.

My two cents,
Jeff

TStoneMBD
05-09-2005, 12:07 PM
i think that this diet will work, but a major reason for why i am posting it is that i would like for someone with more knowledge to chime in and correct me if it will not.

wendys has some very healthy foods, caloric wise. if you avoid any caloric beverages, you should lose some significant weight by eating these 2 following foods:

Ultimate Chicken Grill Sandwich

Calories: 360
Total fat (G): 7
Cholesterol: 75
Protein: (G):31

Broccoli and Cheese Hot Stuffed Baked Potato

Calories: 440
Total fat (G): 15
Cholesterol: 10
Protein: (G):10

If you had 4 UltimateCG sandwiches and 2 broccoli potatoes per day, your caloric intake would be 2320.

If you dont care too much for the potatoes, you could replace them with more sandwiches and this would be an even more efficient diet.

The foods actually taste very good as well, which makes me think it would be a very satisfying diet.

HopeydaFish
05-09-2005, 12:10 PM
Here's a question for people who people who are in the know:

A couple of years ago I cut out Regular Coke from my diet. I used to drink 3 or 4 cans a day. I still needed the caffeine, so I switched to Diet Coke. However, about a month ago I decided to kick the caffeine habit and stopped drinking Diet Coke as well. I had a couple of weeks of withdrawal, but I'm feeling much better now. I've substituted water for the diet Coke I was drinking. Other than having to pee every 30 minutes, I feel like a million bucks now.

Here's my question: Will cutting out the *diet* Coke affect my weight? I've heard that cutting out all softdrinks (diet or otherwise) is important for a healthy diet. However, I always thought of Diet Coke as simply being flavoured water mixed with caffeine (but without the calories that come from the sugar in regular Coke). Should I expect to lose some weight now that I've stopped drinking diet soft drinks?

lu_hawk
05-09-2005, 12:10 PM
it's going to be almost impossible to lose weight and keep it off without exercising. besides the fact that if you try to lose weight quickly through dieting alone your bodyfat % will end up higher than before you started. if you don't want to exercise then you don't really want to lose weight very badly.

beerbandit
05-09-2005, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bagel w/ cream cheese for breakfast

[/ QUOTE ]

not as healthy as you think -- depends on the cream cheese though

cheers

Hoopster81
05-09-2005, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but I am really bad at it and I don't really like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably feel this way because you do not enjoy the Gold's Gym (etc) atmosphere. It makes you feel uncomfortable to be in a gym working out with other people that are clearly in better shape than yourself. You need to just say, "F them," and get your work in. And, once you get in better shape you will actually ENJOY going to work out, and it will become an ego-boosting experience.

HopeydaFish
05-09-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bagel w/ cream cheese for breakfast

[/ QUOTE ]

not as healthy as you think -- depends on the cream cheese though

cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was dieting I was advised to switch from bagel and cream cheese to an english muffin with jam. There's about 1/4 the calories in an english muffin with jam than there is in a bagel and cream cheese.

beerbandit
05-09-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I was dieting I was advised to switch from bagel and cream cheese to an english muffin with jam. There's about 1/4 the calories in an english muffin with jam than there is in a bagel and cream cheese.

[/ QUOTE ]

im not sure where, but ive heard the calories or fat in a normal bagel with cream cheese is comparable to a mcdonalds breakfast sandwich

sausage mcmuffin with egg/cheese
caloriees: 450
total fat: 28g

bagel with cream cheese
calories: 340
total fat: 12g

maybe not as close as i thought

cheers

augie00
05-09-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I played DDR for the first time recently, and I think this will actually be my plan. I don't need to lose weight, but I definately need to start working out, but can't find any convenient cardio activities enjoyable other than this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I now have a new goal in life. Beat ZeeJustin at DDR.

HopeydaFish
05-09-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't doubt it. Bagels are one of the first things that most dieticians will advise you to cut out of your diet.

im not sure where, but ive heard the calories or fat in a normal bagel with cream cheese is comparable to a mcdonalds breakfast sandwich

cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

Aytumious
05-09-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's a question for people who people who are in the know:

A couple of years ago I cut out Regular Coke from my diet. I used to drink 3 or 4 cans a day. I still needed the caffeine, so I switched to Diet Coke. However, about a month ago I decided to kick the caffeine habit and stopped drinking Diet Coke as well. I had a couple of weeks of withdrawal, but I'm feeling much better now. I've substituted water for the diet Coke I was drinking. Other than having to pee every 30 minutes, I feel like a million bucks now.

Here's my question: Will cutting out the *diet* Coke affect my weight? I've heard that cutting out all softdrinks (diet or otherwise) is important for a healthy diet. However, I always thought of Diet Coke as simply being flavoured water mixed with caffeine (but without the calories that come from the sugar in regular Coke). Should I expect to lose some weight now that I've stopped drinking diet soft drinks?

[/ QUOTE ]

You will probably feel better due to not taking in so many chemicals, but since diet coke has zero calories, you will not see a change in your weight.

on_thg
05-09-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's possible. There's at least some anecdotal evidence that citric acid, an ingredient in a lot of diet beverages, slows weight loss. I'd research it and post a link, but I'm a lazy [censored].

HopeydaFish
05-09-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You will probably feel better due to not taking in so many chemicals, but since diet coke has zero calories, you will not see a change in your weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my thinking, actually. Since there are no calories, there is no weight gain from consuming diet drinks.

One of the reasons I quit drinking diet drinks was because a friend of mine was insisting that Aspartame had all sorts of side-effects that the "big food companies are keeping under wraps". I was waking up every morning sore from head to toe, I was feeling fatigued all the time, I kept getting headaches, etc... She pointed me towards some websites which listed my symptoms as those that typically result from "aspartame poisoning". Most of the websites seemed to be created by crackpots, but I told her that I was thinking of giving up caffeine anyway, so I would let her know if my symptoms went away after awhile.

Amazingly enough, I feel like a new person after a month without diet drinks. I'm not sore, I sleep more soundly at night, I'm more flexible, I don't get the headaches I used to get, etc...

However, I'm convinced that this is a result of eliminating caffeine from my diet, and not the aspartame. Regardless, I'm never going back to the diet drinks. I don't want to go back to feeling the way I felt before. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Popinjay
05-09-2005, 01:27 PM
i too need to lose weight and fat. right now im runnin stairs for 30min every day then doing 30min (total, 10each) of pushups, lunges, and crunches.

is this sufficient to lose my fat (190 and 5' 8") or should i lift weights instead of my "natural" exercises? im hesitant to use weights as i do not want to risk injury

willie
05-09-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but I am really bad at it and I don't really like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably feel this way because you do not enjoy the Gold's Gym (etc) atmosphere. It makes you feel uncomfortable to be in a gym working out with other people that are clearly in better shape than yourself. You need to just say, "F them," and get your work in. And, once you get in better shape you will actually ENJOY going to work out, and it will become an ego-boosting experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously, and this is the reason i belong to a hole in the wall instead of a commercial gym.

i go to the club where dude's try to impress chicks on friday saturday nights, not every goddamn day. gold's and other commercial gyms can be complete crap.

good ole hole in the wall

some custom made equipment, and custom dumbells up to 180. a chin up bar that is 6 feet long, it runs on the honor system. drop off your money when you come- if not then just get him tomorrow. the place is great and everyone is serious about working out- not about walking around and being a strutting dbag.

try to find a smaller gym if you feel uncomfortable at a bigger one- it could work wonders and freeweight work would be more beneficial than bowflex.

--also, by getting into the routine of "going to the gym" you're less likely to cop out. it seems that since this stuff is right in your house that you're more likely to use it, but i find that i'm more likely to work out if i get myself to the gym on a consistent basis.

gvibes
05-09-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think that this diet will work, but a major reason for why i am posting it is that i would like for someone with more knowledge to chime in and correct me if it will not.

wendys has some very healthy foods, caloric wise. if you avoid any caloric beverages, you should lose some significant weight by eating these 2 following foods:

Ultimate Chicken Grill Sandwich

Calories: 360
Total fat (G): 7
Cholesterol: 75
Protein: (G):31

Broccoli and Cheese Hot Stuffed Baked Potato

Calories: 440
Total fat (G): 15
Cholesterol: 10
Protein: (G):10

If you had 4 UltimateCG sandwiches and 2 broccoli potatoes per day, your caloric intake would be 2320.

If you dont care too much for the potatoes, you could replace them with more sandwiches and this would be an even more efficient diet.

The foods actually taste very good as well, which makes me think it would be a very satisfying diet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Waaaaaaaaaaaayy too much carbohydrates there. Potatos are bad.

FeliciaLee
05-09-2005, 01:48 PM
Nick, from the things you have posted about your lifestyle, I think that perhaps high protein/low carb protein shakes might do the trick.

I have been drinking these shakes since I lost my digestive system six years ago and have no other way to digest protein.

My husband wanted to lose about 40-50 lbs. at that time, and got it into his head that the low calorie shakes might do it more easily. So he started out with one per day, and eventually started drinking two. This is NOT a liquid diet, or a "meal replacement" shake, he was drinking this solely on top of his existing diet. He did cut down on the sweets somewhat, but said even that wasn't so tough, because of the satiety of the shakes.

Within about six months he managed to lose 45 lbs. and has kept it off for almost six years. He still drinks the shakes, and maintains his existing diet. He doesn't torture himself, nor does he feel he is missing anything.

If you want to know which brands I'm talking about, PM me. There are different kinds of protein shakes: sugar shakes with a tiny bit of protein, "weight gainer" shakes, and low carb/no sugar, high protein shakes. The last are the ones I'm talking about. Forget the first two altogether.

I'm not a salesperson, nor do I have any affiliation with a site or brand name, I'm just a cheapskate who knows where to get protein cheap.

Felicia /images/graemlins/smile.gif
www.felicialee.net (http://www.felicialee.net)

RunDownHouse
05-09-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One of the reasons I quit drinking diet drinks was because a friend of mine was insisting that Aspartame had all sorts of side-effects that the "big food companies are keeping under wraps". I was waking up every morning sore from head to toe, I was feeling fatigued all the time, I kept getting headaches, etc... She pointed me towards some websites which listed my symptoms as those that typically result from "aspartame poisoning". Most of the websites seemed to be created by crackpots, but I told her that I was thinking of giving up caffeine anyway, so I would let her know if my symptoms went away after awhile.

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, The Straight Dope is your friend. (http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a961129.html)

daryn
05-09-2005, 01:54 PM
great thread.. these pop up every now and then.

i'm looking to do the same thing. i go to the gym and do cardio. i'm looking to add weight training or whatever. any tips on what actually to do? how many reps, weight, etc. shite like that?

HopeydaFish
05-09-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Again, The Straight Dope is your friend. (http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a961129.html)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I'd seen that article on there, actually. I visit the Straight Dope every day. I'm a regular contributor to the Weird Earl's site of the day, as a matter of fact /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I also found a similar article on Snopes.com. Snopes was a little quicker to call the anti-Aspartame people crackpots than the Straight Dope.

sublime
05-09-2005, 02:11 PM
i'm looking to do the same thing. i go to the gym and do cardio. i'm looking to add weight training or whatever. any tips on what actually to do? how many reps, weight, etc. shite like that?

drug free training at its best (http://www.hardgainer.com)

Malone Brown
05-09-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very, very wrong

theBruiser500
05-09-2005, 02:38 PM
"
Of course, if you're drinking much soda and/or booze, you're in for a rough time ever getting weight off, too."

how would booze hurt?

Macdaddy Warsaw
05-09-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"
Of course, if you're drinking much soda and/or booze, you're in for a rough time ever getting weight off, too."

how would booze hurt?

[/ QUOTE ]

That butterscotch schnapps we had on Saturday isn't exactly a 0 calorie snack.

theBruiser500
05-09-2005, 02:42 PM
what are lunges?

sublime
05-09-2005, 02:44 PM
This is very, very wrong

120% wrong is more like it

theBruiser500
05-09-2005, 02:49 PM
For a couple of months I started looking after what I ate, eating less food and trying to keep it healthier. This had no effect on me and I hated it beacuse I love eating. For the last month or two I've started eating no meat, and playing 2 hours of soccer about 4 or 5 days a week., and I eat a lot food now (including much pizza). Haven't weight myself the last couple of weeks but I dropped 8 pounds very fast.

I recently read that eating less doesn't work because your body will think it's starving, slow metabolism down and store more fat. Then when you start eating more food again you will gain it all back. Excercise is key, play a sport you like.

Malone Brown
05-09-2005, 02:49 PM
Daryn,
I don't know how experienced you are with weight lifting, but here's a great routine for beginners and experienced lifters alike. This focuses on core, multi-joint excercises that will really help with what you want.
It's a 3 day a week routine:

Day 1: Push
Incline DB Bench 3 sets x10
Flat DB Bench 3 x 6
Standing Overhead Press (seated if lower back is not very strong yet) 3 x 10
Close Grip Dips 3 x 10

Day 3: Legs
Squat 4 x 10
Glute Ham Raise 4 x 10
Standing Calve Raise 4 x 10

Day 5: Pull
Deadlift 3 x 10
Wide Grip Chins 3 x 10
BB Rows 3 x 10
BB Curls 3 X 10

On off days you can rest or do cardio, the key is not to over do it though. If you are looking to add muscle, try eating 6-7 small, high protein meals a day. If you are looking to add more lean muscle mass, or get more definition, increase the number of reps you do here to around 12-15, and make sure you're not eating anything after about 7pm (this alone with make you loose a great deal of weight).

It's very important to make sure you are doing these excersises correctly, if you're not, they're pretty much useless and you can end up hurting yourself. There's a couple good sites out there that give diagrams of perfect form for all these excercises, PM if you are interested or have any questions.
Malone

Blarg
05-09-2005, 02:50 PM
Most booze is high calorie. Some of it you mix with even higher calorie stuff. There's even the chance that it can ramp up the storage of fat in your liver, but that's if you're hard core. Most obvious of course is the Homer Simpson effect on your belly of beer, but other booze is high calorie too.

SippinSoma
05-09-2005, 02:51 PM
Hold a dumbbell in each hand, palms facing thighs. Feet together. Kneel with your right leg, do not rest your left leg on the floor. Return to standing position, and repeat with left leg.

SippinSoma
05-09-2005, 02:51 PM
DDR is surprisingly effective for nearly everyone that tries it.

Malone Brown
05-09-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is very, very wrong

120% wrong is more like it

[/ QUOTE ]

about that

Malone Brown
05-09-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what are lunges?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/Quadriceps/BBLunge.gif

cocked&locked
05-09-2005, 03:08 PM
So thats all it takes to be really..really good looking?

daryn
05-09-2005, 04:04 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Daryn,
I don't know how experienced you are with weight lifting, but here's a great routine for beginners and experienced lifters alike. This focuses on core, multi-joint excercises that will really help with what you want.
It's a 3 day a week routine:

Day 1: Push
Incline DB Bench 3 sets x10
Flat DB Bench 3 x 6
Standing Overhead Press (seated if lower back is not very strong yet) 3 x 10
Close Grip Dips 3 x 10

Day 3: Legs
Squat 4 x 10
Glute Ham Raise 4 x 10
Standing Calve Raise 4 x 10

Day 5: Pull
Deadlift 3 x 10
Wide Grip Chins 3 x 10
BB Rows 3 x 10
BB Curls 3 X 10

On off days you can rest or do cardio, the key is not to over do it though. If you are looking to add muscle, try eating 6-7 small, high protein meals a day. If you are looking to add more lean muscle mass, or get more definition, increase the number of reps you do here to around 12-15, and make sure you're not eating anything after about 7pm (this alone with make you loose a great deal of weight).

It's very important to make sure you are doing these excersises correctly, if you're not, they're pretty much useless and you can end up hurting yourself. There's a couple good sites out there that give diagrams of perfect form for all these excercises, PM if you are interested or have any questions.
Malone

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm sure this is good advice, but i am totally foreign to lifting weights seriously, so i have no idea what much of it means /images/graemlins/grin.gif

also, i'm not reallly looking to gain muscle, i'm looking to lose fat

sublime
05-09-2005, 04:10 PM

building muscle is the BEST way to lose 'fat'. of course some retard will post how they lost 35lbs by eating steamed zuccini 3 years ago. what they dont realize is a decent amount of it is muscle that they lost, which is counterproductive. read the site i linked for ya, your body will thank you for it.

daryn
05-09-2005, 04:14 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

building muscle is the BEST way to lose 'fat'. of course some retard will post how they lost 35lbs by eating steamed zuccini 3 years ago. what they dont realize is a decent amount of it is muscle that they lost, which is counterproductive. read the site i linked for ya, your body will thank you for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh i know, you are 100% right.

i was just letting malone know that my main goal is not to bulk up, like it would be for some others.

i have your link opened up in my firefox. will get to it /images/graemlins/smile.gif ty

sublime
05-09-2005, 04:16 PM
btw, your "progression" in weight almost mirrors mine (assuming ofc that those pics i saw in threads are chronological order)

getting back in shape is so easy, i just need that initial kick in the ass. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Malone Brown
05-09-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true...don't look at the problem as losing weight. I you lift weights properly, you will lose fat and gain lean muscle mass. You may not lose as much weight as you would with a traditional diet, but you will be in much better shape. Replacing fat with muscle will not show as much results on the scale, put you will be in much better shape physically.

Malone Brown
05-09-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i too need to lose weight and fat. right now im runnin stairs for 30min every day then doing 30min (total, 10each) of pushups, lunges, and crunches.

is this sufficient to lose my fat (190 and 5' 8") or should i lift weights instead of my "natural" exercises? im hesitant to use weights as i do not want to risk injury

[/ QUOTE ]

Running stairs is a great cardio workout but very hard on the knees, you will have problems later on if you keep doing 30 minutes a day. Swimming laps is probably my favorite cardio excercise for getting in shape, it's very easy on the joints and is an excellent workout (if you have access to a pool). These natural excercises are good but if you starting lifting weights properly (light weights), you will see a huge different. Of course all this is useless unless you are eating properly. Limiting whites (breads, rice etc) and eating lots of fruits and vegetables, combined with eating lean meats (turkey especially) will give great results.

Malone Brown
05-09-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

i'm sure this is good advice, but i am totally foreign to lifting weights seriously, so i have no idea what much of it means /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the best thing you can do is get a couple sessions with a personal trainer. He/She will show you how to perform excercises correctly, you will be set after that. Proper weight lifting technique is a great thing to know, you will definately get your money's worth. I'm not saying you should have a personal trainer for the next year or so, setting you up on a program, just buy a couple sessions to go over all the basic movements. After a bit of practice with light weights, you will have the movements down pat and you can add weight lifting to your fitness program for the rest of your life. Alot of gyms also offer free technique seminars to people. The worst thing you can do is not lift weights 'cause you feel like you'll look like you have no idea what you're doing in the gym.
also check out THIS (http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html) site for excercise descriptions. Hope this helps.
Malone

Blarg
05-09-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fad diets suck. But good nutrition is a totally different thing. You won't lose any muscle with proper nutrition.

Bubbagump
05-09-2005, 05:09 PM
I did this for 7 months. I don't recomend it but If you try it, you WILL lose weight.

I am a creature of habbit and as such I can stick with a really mundane routine longer than anybody else I know. My diet for 7 months consisted of a english muffin w/Peanut Butter for Breakfast. Lunch and dinner was either Boneless/skinless Chicken breast, Tuna Fish or steak on either a bed of lettuce, or with a health serving of Broccoli or some other green veggie.

A one hour workout heavy on the cardio 3 or 4 times a week.

This is the important part. It's also the part where anybody who knows anything about nutrition would start looking at me cross-eyed.

In the evenings, if I got hungry, I would deaden the hunger with liquor (usually Capt'n Morgan and diet pepsi) usually 2 or 3 glasses, not enough to get wasted, but just enough to not think about being hungry.

Between February and August of 2003 my weight dropped from 270lbs to 227lbs.

In August of that year I met my current girlfriend and was not able to maintain the routine any longer. But I 've managed to keep most of the weight off since by working out fairly regularly.

Good luck.

Malone Brown
05-09-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't recomend it

[/ QUOTE ]

second

Blarg
05-09-2005, 05:21 PM
Three drinks every day is a fairly heavy load to do long-term.

And you can eat an enormous amount of non-starchy vegetables if you want to without gaining weight. It's almost impossible to keep weight on with a diet consisting largely of vegetables, skinless chicken and fish, fruits, and only very moderate starches.

masonx
05-09-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In the evenings, if I got hungry, I would deaden the hunger with liquor (usually Capt'n Morgan and diet pepsi) usually 2 or 3 glasses, not enough to get wasted, but just enough to not think about being hungry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, you could drink a glass of coffee about an hour or two before dinner at 4:30 or 5. Caffiene is a natural appetizer suppressant and couple that with a glass of water to fill the void and you wont feel that hungry. You could also have a healthy snack like an apple or a banana.

-jord

Malone Brown
05-09-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I will try to stick to the diet of Bagel w/ cream cheese for breakfast,

[/ QUOTE ]

Try replacing this with a hot cereal like Red River, and add some flax seed or flax seed oil to it (and a little brown sugar for taste if you have to). It's great for the body and bowels. Vector or cereal is pretty good too. The turkey is a great idea though, I cook a turkey at the beginning of everyweek and eat it all week, it's great.
One of the best things you can do as well is drink water like crazy. I have a jug of water with me all day.
It's hard to get in shape if you are that set against working out. The only thing I can suggest is to try different things untill you find something you enjoy doing. I hate doing cardio training too, but I find swimming not too bad (I swim for 20 min, hit the hot tub for a while, repeat, it's really relaxing). Also I find running outside to be somewhat enjoyable. Trying running (or speed walking) in a nice area, with some good music and it might not be that bad.
Hope this helps
Malone

Also try eating less more often, eating small portions every 3 hours or so will:

1.increase energy levels
2.*******increases metabolism*****
3.keeps constant flow of nutrients to the body
4.makes it easier to ensure you get your daily requirement of foods (snack lots on fruits and veggies etc.).
This is great way to gain energy and lose weight.

*but try to keep your snacking before bedtime to a minimum*

Malone Brown
05-09-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, you could drink a glass of coffee about an hour or two before dinner at 4:30 or 5. Caffiene is a natural appetizer suppressant and couple that with a glass of water to fill the void and you wont feel that hungry. You could also have a healthy snack like an apple or a banana.

-jord

[/ QUOTE ]

this is good advice

thatpfunk
05-09-2005, 06:13 PM
Drawing out a healthy meal plan help immensely. If you have 2 weeks worth of breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks planned, things can go quite smoothly. Six small meals is generally excepted as the best way to go.

Also, it helps you adjust to the routine of it all. Once eating correctly becomes a habit, other things will become easier.

Also, give yourself a free food day (mine was Sundays) where you allow yourself a few treats that you don't have to worry about. If you like eating out make it a Friday or Saturday.

good luck.

Rob Blackburn
05-09-2005, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a bowflex and an exercise bike (http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1426829&amp;cp=1382081&amp;page=2&amp;doVS earch=no&amp;pageBucket=0&amp;parentPage=family) .

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad I'm not the only one who won a few bucks playing poker and bought a $2000 laundry hanger.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/ruffneckrob/bowflexhanger.jpg

After thinking about how stupid I am for buying this and never using it. I think the humiliation of posting it here will make me use it.

Come on Nick don't let the money go to waste, start using yours as well.

Malone Brown
05-09-2005, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have a bowflex and an exercise bike (http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1426829&amp;cp=1382081&amp;page=2&amp;doVS earch=no&amp;pageBucket=0&amp;parentPage=family) .

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad I'm not the only one who won a few bucks playing poker and bought a $2000 laundry hanger.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/ruffneckrob/bowflexhanger.jpg

After thinking about how stupid I am for buying this and never using it. I think the humiliation of posting it here will make me use it.

Come on Nick don't let the money go to waste, start using yours as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...great pic

Blarg
05-09-2005, 08:06 PM
LOL I used to have a sort of weight bench/overhead row pulley machine combo in my living room draped with hangers too. I think there are a whole lot of us like that.

whiskeytown
05-09-2005, 09:15 PM
the one thing I've learned over the yrs. regarding weight -

just stop eating when your full - we were trained to never throw away food, and I feel bad when I leave half a whopper in the garbage, but to chug it down, that's how pounds happen

RB

Mars357
05-10-2005, 01:05 PM
Body for Life by Bill Phillips

Get it. Read it. Live it.

I lost 100 lbs in about 9 months on this plan...it's amazing how well it works.

I'm back on it now.. I got lazy a couple of years ago and stoped working out. I put 50 of it back on....ugh!

My goal this time is another 100 pounds in the next year...

I've been fat all my life... being fat sucks

Boron
05-10-2005, 04:54 PM
I see a lot of posts that say "Don't eat after..." and they put in a time like 7pm. Is that because normal people go to bed at 9pm or 10pm and that you should not eat right before bed? I am up at 8:30am for work but also stay up late nights like 2-3am because I have a hard time sleeping. Since I stay up late, I do not eat dinner until 8-9pm. Also if I do exercise ( lifting weights or riding a bike) it won't be until right before dinner or right after dinner.

So I guess the questions is there a set time that you should exercise and eat or is it relative to your sleeping habits? should I try to eat at 6pm then not eat anytime after that? I seriously need to lose a lot of body fat and I want to try to make it work around my life schedule. Any comments would be helpful.

boron

Blarg
05-10-2005, 04:58 PM
No offense, but people who think you gain 50 pounds just by being lazy, and can lose 100 at a shot, don't seem to have all that much of a handle on things to be giving other people recommendations. Well, maybe other out of control people.

I guess every situation has some individuality to it.