PDA

View Full Version : Citizen Kane - Like or Dislike?

PokerFink
05-09-2005, 03:05 AM
I know Citizen Kane is a groundbreaking movie, both visually and with the way it breaks off from classical style... blah blah blah.

But, did you enjoy watching it?

pryor15
05-09-2005, 03:09 AM
it's one of my favorite movies. top 15 all-time.

Chairman Wood
05-09-2005, 03:25 AM
It's still an awesome movie but it has not aged well. The many things that it is so famous for breaking ground for doing are things that you see in every movie now. You really can't appreciate the movie unless you knew what movies were like before it was made. I would think most people would watch the movie now and say "What's the big deal?"

PokerFink
05-09-2005, 03:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
it's one of my favorite movies.

[/ QUOTE ]

You said in the directors thread that you are a director yourself, so this doesn't surprise me. =)

wacki
05-09-2005, 03:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would think most people would watch the movie now and say "What's the big deal?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I did.

PokerFink
05-09-2005, 03:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's still an awesome movie but it has not aged well. The many things that it is so famous for breaking ground for doing are things that you see in every movie now. You really can't appreciate the movie unless you knew what movies were like before it was made. I would think most people would watch the movie now and say "What's the big deal?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well stated.

IggyWH
05-09-2005, 03:39 AM
I took a film class in college, which I thought was going to be cool but soon found out I was watching a bunch of crappy movies that some movie snob-[censored] said were good.

Out of all the crap we watched, Citizen Kane was the only movie I actually enjoyed. I think the movie missed me though cause William Randolph Hurst was before my time and I really don't know the history all that well. If I knew and understood Hurst, I might appreciate CZ more.

My [censored] of a grad school teacher turned me off to the movie though when the bitch gave me a C- on my essay. We had to write wbout what the meaning of the film as to Rosebud. The question to me was very subjective question that you should be right as long as you can back-up your point.

I, like everyone else in my class wrote that Kane's last dying words of Rosebud was him looking back on the only thing in his life that really pleased him and made him happy. It was the simple things in life that he enjoyed.

Our [censored] of a teacher went on to tell us how we were all stupid and the point of the movie was that dying words mean nothing.

[censored] her... she can [censored] blow me that [censored] [censored] ass whore.

PokerFink
05-09-2005, 03:45 AM
Many college film classes, especially intro ones, are like this.

In my opinion, that is not a good essay question because there is no definitive answer. However, based on the answer you gave on your essay, a C- seems appropriate. No offense. =)

Blarg
05-09-2005, 03:54 AM
I'm going to have to say I admire it much more than like it. It was groundbreaking and a real tour de force, but I somehow still couldn't warm up to it much. I had to admire what it did and the way it did it more than what it was. It always kept me on the outside, looking in.

PokerFink
05-09-2005, 03:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to have to say I admire it much more than like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much my opinion exactly. I voted no for this reason.

pryor15
05-09-2005, 04:14 AM
i think a lot of it depends on your connection w/ the orson welles character. i find that type of character fascinating, so a brilliantly made film about him is invariably enjoyable for me.

others though, i could see not getting as into it.

IggyWH
05-09-2005, 04:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
However, based on the answer you gave on your essay, a C- seems appropriate. No offense. =)

[/ QUOTE ]

The title of the class was Intro to Film but this class was under English Comp. It's a writing course... no more. No one in the class is a film student. Film is just the topic that is used so we had something to write about.

No reason we should have had some grad school film student teaching the class. How in the hell is she going to grade a writing course when she's a film student?

Like I said before, when you ask a subjective question like she did and you're in a writing class, there is no wrong answer, as long as you can back up your answer with reasoning.

I, like everyone else in the class had tons of examples as to the reasoning behind our answer. Since she was some fim-snob [censored] though, it was her way or you're wrong.

God I hated that bitch...

IggyWH
05-09-2005, 04:23 AM
Let me add I also [censored] hate Corrigan, Kracauer, Bazin, Milies, Lumiere, Vertov and every other bastard that put me through hell trying to understand what their crack-asses were talking about.

PokerFink
05-09-2005, 04:33 AM
The fact that it was an english class definitely changes things. That is a very, very, very stupid essay question to use for an english class.

peachy
05-09-2005, 04:34 AM
a great movie....those who say different have no taste and dont understand it

Blarg
05-09-2005, 04:37 AM
Grad student teaching assitants are the very worst. Well over half of them are nightmares, from my experience. They're not professors yet, but they're desperate to prove they're just as smart as one, and for sure inifinitely smarter and better than you are. They're sometimes collegial but sometimes extremely competitive with each other, and often apply that competitive harshness to students, too. Hardly any professors I ever knew of graded anywhere near as severely as their T.A.'s did. Well, one did, but she was a bisexual anorexic Freudian Marxist Francophile with a showering problem who seemed to hate men, so you'd have to be pretty bad off to have been more screwed up than she was.

I've always had a much harder time getting a fair shake from a graduate teaching assistant than from an professor. Hell, professors usually liked me; most of the grad student T.A.'s looked like they wanted to throw a grenade into the room and then swallow another one.

A lotta bitter, overworked guys and gals. Almost guaranteed at least 1/2 to a full grade lower on any paper or project from a T.A. than a professor.

Blarg
05-09-2005, 04:38 AM
Hey, Bazin was hella good.

PokerFink
05-09-2005, 04:42 AM
Man, this is the truth.

Just off the top of my head, I have had five grad students as teachers (four semesters). And I don't mean TAs that just grade, I mean teachers who actually tought a lecture/recitation. One out of the five was good, one was average, three were awful.

IggyWH
05-09-2005, 04:55 AM
Only 2 good things came out of the class...

I would have never watched Citizen Kane or Vertigo if not for the class.

I don't know if watching 2 good movies makes up for watching crap like those damn Lumiere brothers films, The Blue Angel, Bicycle Thief (wasn't that bad but I'm having a hard time remembering names so I've included it)...

Jeff W
05-09-2005, 05:25 AM
I am a huge film buff and I enjoy classic films.

I did not enjoy Citizen Kane. It is among the most overrated films of all time.

-Skeme-
05-09-2005, 05:46 AM
Rented it. Couldn't watch it. It's hard for me to watch most B&W films.

Jeff W
05-09-2005, 05:48 AM
They are an acquired taste.

youtalkfunny
05-09-2005, 07:13 AM
I watched it. Thought it was OK (which is high praise from me).

Then I watched it again, with Roger Ebert doing the commentary on DVD. He explained all the groundbreaking stuff, as well as subtleties written into the script.

It increased my satisfaction 10-fold.

Vince Young
05-09-2005, 09:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
it's one of my favorite movies. top 15 all-time.

[/ QUOTE ]

swede123
05-09-2005, 09:32 AM
Citizen Kane is one of those movies that get better with each viewing. Obviously if you couldn't stand it or whatever it would be silly to watch again, but if you kind of enjoyed it but didn't totally get what the hype is about watch it again. Trust me on this.

Swede

Jeff W
05-09-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a great movie....those who say different have no taste and dont understand it

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is ignorant and insulting. You far overrate your sense of taste.

Blarg
05-09-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I watched it. Thought it was OK (which is high praise from me).

Then I watched it again, with Roger Ebert doing the commentary on DVD. He explained all the groundbreaking stuff, as well as subtleties written into the script.

It increased my satisfaction 10-fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly didn't have a lot of fun with the movie, but now that you mention there's an Ebert commentary, I might rent it again just to listen to the commentary.

jakethebake
05-09-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it's one of my favorite movies.

[/ QUOTE ]

You said in the directors thread that you are a director yourself, so this doesn't surprise me. =)

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn filmies! /images/graemlins/wink.gif