PDA

View Full Version : Big pot with AQ

ShawnHoo
05-09-2005, 02:31 AM
Good 40/80 at Commerce Friday night. Comments on all streets would be appreciated.

I'm on the button with AsQc. Loose player buys the button. UTG (loose donator) raises, MP1 (new unknown player) calls, MP2 (solid regular) calls, a couple of folds, I call, button buyer folds.

Flop: 3c3s4s

UTG checks, MP1 bets, MP2 calls, I raise, UTG folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: Ac

Checked to me, I bet, both call.

River: Qd

MP1 bets, MP2 folds, I raise.

NLSoldier
05-09-2005, 02:41 AM
I would consider 3betting preflop, I don't think it matters too much either way though.

MP1's play is strange. I guess he could be thinking you have a mid pocket pair and doesnt want you to check it through now that another overcard hit. I'm putting him on something like KsQs or QsJs.

Overall I like your play. Two questions. Did your plan from the beginning include raising most flops? And did you plan the check through on the turn unimproved?

ShawnHoo
05-09-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Overall I like your play. Two questions. Did your plan from the beginning include raising most flops? And did you plan the check through on the turn unimproved?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and yes.

Hamlet
05-09-2005, 03:21 PM
My guess is that MP1 has a suited Ace-rag, and your hand is good.

Gabe
05-09-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
MP1's play is strange. I guess he could be thinking you have a mid pocket pair and doesnt want you to check it through now that another overcard hit. I'm putting him on something like KsQs or QsJs.

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, it looks more like Ace weak kicker.

BoxTree
05-09-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good 40/80 at Commerce Friday night. Comments on all streets would be appreciated.

I'm on the button with AsQc. Loose player buys the button. UTG (loose donator) raises, MP1 (new unknown player) calls, MP2 (solid regular) calls, a couple of folds, I call, button buyer folds.

Flop: 3c3s4s

UTG checks, MP1 bets, MP2 calls, I raise, UTG folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: Ac

Checked to me, I bet, both call.

River: Qd

MP1 bets, MP2 folds, I raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused by your description. You're on the button but someone buys the button? At Commerce 9/18, you can post in the CO. Is it different at 40/80?

Anyhow, it's going to be at least four-handed if you call. And UTG is described as loose but not overly aggressive. Why do you think your AQ will be good even if you spike a pair? And MP2 (solid regular) is cold-callling in somewhat poor position? Yuck. I fold this preflop. But maybe 40/80 is just that much different than 9/18.

Btw, if I don't fold this for some reason, I 3-bet to try to knock out the blinds.

So, why did you cold-call preflop?

Other than that, I like the hand. And I think MP1 has a worse ace.

BoxTree
05-09-2005, 07:00 PM
Follow-up: If MP1 re-raises the river, do you call?

andyfox
05-09-2005, 07:04 PM
"Buying the button" means posting both the big and small blinds. You go to the restroom or whatever and, when you return, you have just missed your big blind. The button moves to the player directly on your right and you "buy the button" by posting both the big and small blinds. Only the big blind portion (in this case, $40) is live. The next hand, you get the button, hence the phrase "buying the button."

ShawnHoo
05-09-2005, 07:07 PM
I called pre-flop because I have position with what could very well be the best hand, but I didn't want to risk getting capped and then potentially having to fold in a big pot if the flop looks dangerous. (Thoughts?)

Yes, I'd call a river raise.

Anyone think I'm behind here? Not having any history with MP1 made me assume he was overplaying a weak ace, too.

wheelz
05-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Not wanting to 3-bet because you might get capped is pretty weak.

BoxTree
05-09-2005, 07:17 PM
Odd. So you come in between the button and the SB? You can't do that at 9/18. They make you wait until the button passes.

BoxTree
05-09-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I called pre-flop because I have position with what could very well be the best hand, but I didn't want to risk getting capped and then potentially having to fold in a big pot if the flop looks dangerous. (Thoughts?)

Yes, I'd call a river raise.

Anyone think I'm behind here? Not having any history with MP1 made me assume he was overplaying a weak ace, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shrug. I just wouldn't be that confident that I have the best hand preflop. Also, it's hard to protect this hand and you're going to have difficulty getting someone to make an incorrect call if they get a little part of the flop. I still fold this preflop.

As for not 3-betting because you fear a cap, that's just weak play.

NLSoldier
05-09-2005, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, it looks more like Ace weak kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldnt most people bet or CR the turn with a weak ace?

ShawnHoo
05-10-2005, 05:35 AM
MP1 3-bet me, and I called. He showed 33 for flopped quads.