PDA

View Full Version : Gigabet, WOW

xPuns1her
05-09-2005, 02:12 AM
Just read this post...

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1825403&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1

Wow, after read this piece of amazing advice and articulating the opposite of how I've handeled playing poker up to this point it really opened my eyes. I took a step down from the $215's and played a $109 after I read it keeping notes on all of the players at the table. Eventually I pretty much knew what cards people had by how they played. It got down to heads up with my and another player I had great reads on. This hand came up and I never would of made the call I did in this situation if I didnt know for a fact that my Jack was higher than any card in my opponents hand. Previous to this hand I had been raising to 800 not 900 like I did in this hand and my opponent had been folding. The raise to 900 I could tell made my opponent think I was stealing and he proceeded to go allin like I thought he would with nothing and I called. Keeping in mind that I'm still pretty shitty at poker this play would of been great if I myself had actually had a hand but I didnt... haha.. oh well...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (2 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t6350)
BB (t3650)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t700</font>, Hero calls t2750.

Flop: (t3850) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t3850) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t3850) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t3850

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 5c Tc (full house, fives full of tens).
Hero has Js 7s (one pair, fives).
Outcome: BB wins t3850. </font>

Incidently this beat rolled right off my back because I felt all warm inside knowing that for once I actually made the right play using my judgement on how the PERSON played.
I ended up getting second by the way after I flopped an open ended and it missed.

Now I'm PUMPED to go play more of this PEOPLE game.

bones
05-09-2005, 02:15 AM
I hope this is a poorly thought out gimmick account...

xPuns1her
05-09-2005, 02:17 AM
What are you talking about? Please dont respond if youre just going to say sarcastic crap like that. thanks man

Maulik
regardless of what you have, you don't call with jack high!

poosh not call, weak play

fluorescenthippo
seconds of my life wasted: 36

Maulik
05-09-2005, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well perhaps if its j10s or j9s, but lay this down, terrible

xPuns1her
05-09-2005, 02:21 AM
Answer me this... was it not the correct call if you could see his cards?

Degen
05-09-2005, 02:21 AM
if i had the same read, i would have made the same call

well played

Andre

EDIT: If you could see his cards, it might be a fold because you don't have him dominated, but with a J and a 7...if you put him on a re-steal with crap there is a decent shot you have a bigger 7 or J than he does.

This is a 60/40 situation, if you think you can outplay him, this isn't a horrible fold IF you can see the cards....though you'll never be able to, so if you have that read, IMO its a call.

Maulik
05-09-2005, 02:22 AM
Just because two variables are highly correlated does not mean that one causes the other. In statistical terms, we say that correlation does not imply causation. There are many good examples of correlation which are nonsensical when interpreted in terms of causation.

you are not able to see his hand, therefore how do you konw he didn't have q high

xPuns1her
05-09-2005, 02:25 AM
Like Gigabet said if you have a strong judgement on a player that you've got good notes on for the SNG then follow that judgement even if it means busted out of that particular tournament. I knew he had absolute rags in this situation.

If this particular player had a hand he would of called to trap and then bet the flop... thats another thing I had on him.

Maulik
05-09-2005, 02:25 AM
i just want to know how you can be so certain?

xPuns1her
05-09-2005, 02:27 AM
I wasn't certain, no one can be when the cards are turned down but I was as certain as I ever am about anything in poker. You have to take some risks right... I figure this was a lesser risk than most hands seeing as all of the information I had and the strong read.

Maulik
05-09-2005, 02:30 AM
this worked out, hopefully your reads continue to be dead on, keep posting hands where you make your reads.

Scuba Chuck
05-09-2005, 02:42 AM
Out of curiosity, when you say you knew he had trash. Define that hand range. Does J7 sooted fall within that range?

Freudian
05-09-2005, 05:52 AM
You will be unbeatable now you have decided to be one with the universe, cards and the fish.

Phoenix1010
05-09-2005, 08:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This hand came up and I never would of made the call I did in this situation if I didnt know for a fact that my Jack was higher than any card in my opponents hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I knew he had absolute rags in this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't certain, no one can be when the cards are turned down but I was as certain as I ever am about anything in poker

[/ QUOTE ]

Your zest to learn is admirable, but I'm afraid that you are misapplying the lesson. It's good that you're taking notes and trying to get a read on your opponents. Look at this hand though, and then look at your conclusions. You've witnessed ONE action from your opponent, and you've decided that you can accurately narrow his range to "absolute rags." Are you forgetting that hands are dealt out randomly regardless of what your reads are? Basically, you're saying that with J6s through 23o, he reraises all-in there, but with J8o through AA, he does something else (I'm not sure what else there is to do with, say ATs, do you think he would minraise half his stack there?).

I realize that you might have been using hyperbole the three times that you expressed certainty that you knew your hand beat his, but still, I hope you realize the silliness of your statement. Your opponent doesn't have enough options, and hasn't given you nearly enough information in this hand for you to begin to contemplate narrowing his hand range that far. On the contrary, his previous play will allow you to widen his hand range to the point where you may have odds to call in this situation.

In order to be certain that anyone has anything, you have to know that he will only make that play with that hand. In this situation, you would have to be certain that he would only reraise all-in with rags. Think about that for a second. Don't take Gigabet's advice too far. Anyone who says "oh, he reraised preflop, Ive got reads on this guy, so I'm certain that he must have 97o, so I should play my hand assuming he does" is just tossing money away.

-Phoenix

theredpill5
05-09-2005, 09:32 AM
I would have just pushed all-in preflop probably rather than raise 700.

I just push push all-in anymore with nearly any two. I'm now winning nearly 75 % of my HU matches or at least more than I used to. I've won two HU matches in the last two days with 92 . Never thought it was that good of a hand but I guess so.

pooh74
05-09-2005, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This hand came up and I never would of made the call I did in this situation if I didnt know for a fact that my Jack was higher than any card in my opponents hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I knew he had absolute rags in this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't certain, no one can be when the cards are turned down but I was as certain as I ever am about anything in poker

[/ QUOTE ]

Your zest to learn is admirable, but I'm afraid that you are misapplying the lesson. It's good that you're taking notes and trying to get a read on your opponents. Look at this hand though, and then look at your conclusions. You've witnessed ONE action from your opponent, and you've decided that you can accurately narrow his range to "absolute rags." Are you forgetting that hands are dealt out randomly regardless of what your reads are? Basically, you're saying that with J6s through 23o, he reraises all-in there, but with J8o through AA, he does something else (I'm not sure what else there is to do with, say ATs, do you think he would minraise half his stack there?).

I realize that you might have been using hyperbole the three times that you expressed certainty that you knew your hand beat his, but still, I hope you realize the silliness of your statement. Your opponent doesn't have enough options, and hasn't given you nearly enough information in this hand for you to begin to contemplate narrowing his hand range that far. On the contrary, his previous play will allow you to widen his hand range to the point where you may have odds to call in this situation.

In order to be certain that anyone has anything, you have to know that he will only make that play with that hand. In this situation, you would have to be certain that he would only reraise all-in with rags. Think about that for a second. Don't take Gigabet's advice too far. Anyone who says "oh, he reraised preflop, Ive got reads on this guy, so I'm certain that he must have 97o, so I should play my hand assuming he does" is just tossing money away.

-Phoenix

[/ QUOTE ]

good post phoenix. Op's post reminds so much of those who make an outrageous call with junk and say, "I knew you were bluffing"....

Sponger15SB
05-09-2005, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm now winning nearly 75 % of my HU matches or at least more than I used to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that is sustainable.

FieryJustice
05-09-2005, 12:48 PM
Just out of curiousity, what do you do when your opponet does the exact same thing every hand once HU or even once 5 handed? This is what I try to do and it seems to work pretty well. Would it be possible that you could actually not be able to read on players that play this way? LMK
Jcardshark

sng-sam
05-09-2005, 01:40 PM
I'm pretty sure the whole reason for this poster (read: troll) to make this post is to get gigabet (read: yoda) to come out and respond so poster/troll can say "gigabet knows me" move on troll. Your attitude and lack of knowledge followed by a big mouth is not appreciated here.

SAM

xPuns1her
05-09-2005, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure the whole reason for this poster (read: troll) to make this post is to get gigabet (read: yoda) to come out and respond so poster/troll can say "gigabet knows me" move on troll. Your attitude and lack of knowledge followed by a big mouth is not appreciated here.

SAM

[/ QUOTE ]

You (read:TOAD) have no more authority on this board then I do.. maybe if YOU (read:TOAD) had 1000 posts and were respected then maybe you could say something like that. I'm still learning, I'm going through the early stages of frustration. Lets all go though two plus two and pick apart sng-sams (read:TOAD) posts.

Once again for all of the other responses.. I'm not very good at poker, YET. I was talking to my friends discussing the hand and we concluded it would of been a great read and trap had I actually had a good hand... haha... however, since I still suck it was a stupid play with a good read.

xPuns1her
05-09-2005, 02:11 PM
And SNG-SAM, your a hippocrit buddy.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=singletable&amp;Number=2320632 &amp;Forum=,All_Forums,&amp;Words=&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;M ain=2320632&amp;Search=true&amp;where=&amp;Name=27362&amp;daterang e=&amp;newerval=&amp;newertype=&amp;olderval=&amp;oldertype=&amp;bodyp rev=#Post2320632

This post is awful close to a bad beat post and just as useless as any of mine, toad.

sng-sam
05-09-2005, 02:18 PM
I love it! The post you quote is a hand I won!! I did bet the pot and he did fold. My post is very typical of posts you will see here. Yours.....hmmmm..how do i say this.....are not. Good luck and may I suggest anger management.

SAM

p.s. Flame wars are very unbecoming if you choose to react to this post you will not see a response from me. Your posts pretty much speak for themselves I regret respondinbg originally because it wasted other ppl's time.

Nottom
05-09-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just the other day I was playing SNG, and my opponent was moving in every hand with the chip lead. I picked up J7s thought about it for a bit and called for my last 2K chips. He had T5o. I lost to a boat.

Weird.

xPuns1her
05-09-2005, 02:46 PM
Does anyone else agree with me that SNG-SAM is a duetch bag /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nottom
05-09-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

EDIT: If you could see his cards, it might be a fold because you don't have him dominated, but with a J and a 7...if you put him on a re-steal with crap there is a decent shot you have a bigger 7 or J than he does.

This is a 60/40 situation, if you think you can outplay him, this isn't a horrible fold IF you can see the cards....though you'll never be able to, so if you have that read, IMO its a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you nuts?

Are you actually suggesting that heads up, getting 1.6-1 to knock out your opponent. You would consider folding if you knew you were "only" a 60-40 favorite because you could maybe outplay him later?

(Maybe you were considering the situation where you always knew his cards, not just this hand. If thats the case its much closer but I'm still not sure you could lay this down.)

ilya
05-09-2005, 02:58 PM
You must learn from supbro. Supbro posted rarely to keep interest level for each post extremely high. You must follow this example in your quest to become the most successful joke account on the STT forum.