PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Palace

Bartman387
05-08-2005, 11:39 PM
Quote from AllVegasPOker.com
[ QUOTE ]
Competition Rating: 5
These players are horrible!

The Imperial Palace poker room consistently has the easiest competition I have ever played against. In fact, the players are so bad that it has been tough for me to win there.

The players will call anything, and it's common for every single person to be in the pot. It's tough for hands like pocket jacks to hold up in a multi-way pot with 10 players. When I raise pre-flop, nobody folds.

The Imperial Palace hosts the kind of game that is perfect for a new to average player. However, when you have a better understanding of the game, you will out-think yourself and lose to the crazy beginner players that the Imperial Palace attracts.

The Imperial Palace is a great place for a beginner because the stakes are low and the competition is easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The players can't be this bad, or are they? If so, this seems like the ultimate place to fish in Vegas, is it not? Or is Excalibur still better?

MLerra
05-08-2005, 11:50 PM
Excalibur NL tables seemed like a mixed bag when I was there. Sometimes, you'd sit down with 3 knuckleheads that would pay off the rest of the table. Other times, it would be you and 9 other internet players who were all decent. Decent enough that, even if you were a bit better than them, it would be hard to beat the rake... and at the end of the night, the person walking away with the most money would likely be the one who just hit the most hands.

Maybe I had high expectations, but I expected poorer players than I saw. Oh well.

mosquito
05-09-2005, 12:17 AM
Gosh, LOTS of rooms like this @ 2-4. Like, most of
the 2-4 offered on the strip. GL in Vegas.......

whiskeytown
05-09-2005, 09:20 PM
not far off

the best is when the lessons are done at 11:30 and all the new people who just learned go to a table and play....hoo boy.

RB

AKQJ10
05-09-2005, 09:44 PM
The IP does hold 'em lessons each weekday around 11. However, they were understandably reluctant to let me join a table of new graduates, though eventually they relented. If you're really lucky, there might even be a slots tourney going on to bring in the drop-my-money-in-and-take-a-chance crowd, itching to try that poker thing they've seen on TV.

The comps at the IP, though, are tremendous (around $3/hr). If you don't want to play above $2/4, I highly recommend it.

Trainwreck
05-09-2005, 11:28 PM
Basically 3/6 and lower stinks, mainly due to the often BINGO-like play and the rake.

You pretty much need to catch cards or you will be a loser.

If coming to visit, I'd definitely recommend 1/2 NL instead, it's quite fishy, you'll know within 1 orbit where they are all at skill level wise usually.

I was playing today at MGM and watched a guy get up to close to 1000 at 1/2 NL, within the next 90 mins, he pissed it ALL away and reached for a rebuy!!!

He tried to pick me off, always had THE NUTS against the first 3 players he went OTT on the river against, they ALL called and they ALL left, he never busted another player after that. [Scared fishies away, and then because the biggest FISH of them all!!!!]

Add to it:
He had BO, maybe parts to 3 front teeth left, and a backpack with him. Hmmmmm!
But, then he whips out his CELL phone and he only ordered COKES to drink, very puzzling table image, I put him on a VERY OLD looking 55.

I digress...

Anyhow, the 1/2 NL is the place to be in Vegas, IMHO for low limit goodness.

>TW<

Bartman387
05-10-2005, 12:45 AM
I would love to play some NL while in Vegas, since you can't get that here in MN and it I prefer it over limit.

You mentioned MGM had 1/2 NL, any other places with some low stakes NL that is swarming with fishes??

ItsJzH
05-10-2005, 03:18 AM
Excalibur isn't the place for fish anymore, i go often almost every weekend, sometimes even 2-3 times a week. There are often 7-8 locals at the table at all times and it's so tight that with the rake we all lose, and this is on weekends. Compared to when i played at the Rio there was uhm 3 locals i was up $250 in 10 mins, i think the IP spreads that 1-2 NL over there and if they do that's what you'd wanna play. They try to protect their fish, then again people have to take $$ from them eventually.

Bartman387
05-10-2005, 03:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i think the IP spreads that 1-2 NL over there and if they do that's what you'd wanna play.

[/ QUOTE ]

AllVegasPoker.com says that IP only has limit games, no NL. Is this inaccurate?

Ok, so seems IP is a good place for limit games, but that still leaves me looking for an aquarium that has NL. How about Alladin, AllVegas says that these players are horrible, but it also says that about Excalibur, is there info on Alladin player still correct? Also how about MGM?

I'm going to ask this, but I'm pretty I already know the answer... Mirage, Bellagio, Wynn, How are these players? Should I stay away? my predicted ansers: very good! yes!

AllVegasPoker.com
05-10-2005, 03:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
AllVegasPoker.com says that IP only has limit games, no NL. Is this inaccurate?

[/ QUOTE ]

The last time I was personally at the IP was probably 2-3 months ago. At that time, there was no regular $1/2 NL game being spread, but (like almost anywhere in Vegas), if there was enough interest, the room would spread a NL game.

These days, that may not be the case. A lot more rooms are consistently spreading the NL games. If anyone knows for sure whether IP is consistently spreading a NL game, then I'll definitely update the site.

p.s., regarding your original question, I still stand by my assessment of the competition at the IP. The players there are very, very bad.

AllVegasPoker.com
05-10-2005, 03:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Excalibur isn't the place for fish anymore

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good observation. I strongly agree that there are considerably more locals than there used to be. Over the past year, more and more locals have poured into the Excalibur poker room. Especially the $2-6 and the $1/2 NL game.

But, night after night, on average, I still think the Excalibur poker room has more novice players than any other room in Vegas. The low spread limit games, large quantity of tables, and beginner-friendly environment definitely attract the fish. Especially on WEEKENDS! (You've got to give me that the weekends are still very good /images/graemlins/grin.gif).

Plus, when that $1-3 list is full, you know you're gonna get some shark bait at the $2-6 game.

Bulbarainey
05-10-2005, 04:57 AM
anyone play there a lot? Im gonna go check it out this weekend, how do you maximize your comps? will 100$NL suffice ?

Fishwhenican
05-10-2005, 10:40 AM
I was at the IP last week, Wednesday night, and I do not believe they had a NL game going. On the other hand I know they did have one going most of the time I was there in January. So, it probably does depend on the demand.

I do not think I would say the level of play when I was there was exceptionally bad but it wasn't exceptionally good either.

Fishwhenican
05-10-2005, 10:46 AM
I agree with AllVegasPoker on this one. I played there a bit last week and consistantly saw people who were locals, many of whom I recognized from a year before.

All in all the games were good though with the exception of one evening when we were at a terrible table. Couldn't keep it full with usually about 6 players including my wife and I, two local rocks and two players who had a good handle on what they were doing. Should have just left and come back later but I figured it would be a good lesson for my wife who is just learning. Funniest part was she ended up ahead and I was down.

megabit
05-10-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Add to it:
He had BO, maybe parts to 3 front teeth left, and a backpack with him. Hmmmmm!
But, then he whips out his CELL phone and he only ordered COKES to drink, very puzzling table image, I put him on a VERY OLD looking 55.

I digress...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey I've heard this story before. /images/graemlins/smile.gif 2 more days till I hit town.

/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif

Fishwhenican
05-10-2005, 10:54 AM
If you are referring to IP comps, all you need to do is get a players club card (which you can sign up for online and just pick up when you get there), give it to the desk when you get to the poker room and they will add $3 an hour to your card. Couldn't be any easier. Actually, when we went last week I asked if my wife could just be comped on my card and they said no but they would set one up for her right there and they did while we played! Very nice people there.

If you refer to Excalibur, not sure. I have heard of some folks getting like a $4 food credit but not consistantly. They also have a "buffet" available for the poker players every evening with the exception of, I believe, Saturday.

ItsJzH
05-10-2005, 03:25 PM
The best 1/2 NL game i've played in was the Aladdin, i've doubled my buy in , in less than 10 mins easiest NL game i've found in Vegas bar none. However, the dealers arent very friendly nor is management. The game however is juicy little to no locals at any time and people with deep pockets. Last time i was there, a doctor was playing i think he poured 1k out of his pockets onto the tables. The down side is they usually only have about 1 table going, sometimes 2 if you're lucky. Hope this helps.

canis582
05-10-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ordered COKES to drink,

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe thats why people look at me funny.

viennagreen
05-13-2005, 12:11 PM
played 1/2 NL at the Imperial Palace tonight--- and here is an example of how absolutely HORRIBLE the players are.

it's heads-up on the turn. One guy bets $25... board has 3 spades... the other guy thinks for a long long time--- then turns his cards face up to show a baby flush, then pushes all-in for $40 more.

first bettor thinks for a while, then calls... shows a AKo for top pair top kicker, no spades--- drawing dead.

it might have been the most ridiculous thing i've ever seen at a NL table.

viennagreen
05-13-2005, 12:14 PM
they regularly spread a NL 1/2 game, $100 max buy-in, $40 min.... weeknights and weekends, though sometimes the game breaks relatively early (before 2am) on weeknights.

GreywolfNYC
05-13-2005, 12:24 PM
The best thing about the IP poker room is a red-haired cocktail waitress named Yelena. /images/graemlins/smile.gif