PDA

View Full Version : How to beat a loose passive 2-7 donk

Luv2DriveTT
05-08-2005, 11:30 PM
There MUST be a better way to play my hand. Player C had so many tells about his hand strength (it sucked), I tried raising at the 3rd round draw but when he stayed pat I didn't know what to do. Advice on 2nd draw and the river please!

Reads: Villain is loose passive.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

Epsom ($1/$2 Triple Draw 2-7)

Player A is at seat 0 with $40.
Player B is at seat 1 with $163.75.
Player C is at seat 3 with $32.
HERO is at seat 4 with $100.
Player D is at seat 5 with $84.50.
The button is at seat 0.

Player B posts the small blind of $.50.
Player C posts the big blind of $1.

Player A: -- -- -- -- --
Player B: -- -- -- -- --
Player C: -- -- -- -- --
HERO: Kd 2c 5d 6c Qc
Player D: -- -- -- -- --

First Round:

HERO raises to $2. Player D folds. Player A
folds. Player B folds. Player C calls.

Player C takes 1 card. HERO takes 2 cards.

HERO: 2c 5d 6c Ac Jh

Second Round:

Player C checks. HERO checks.

Player C stands pat. HERO takes 2 cards.

HERO: 2c 5d 6c 4d 5s

Third Round:

Player C bets $2. HERO raises to $4. Player C
calls.

Player C stands pat. HERO takes 1 card.

HERO: 2c 5d 6c 4d Ah

Final Round:

Player C checks. HERO checks.

Showdown:

Player C shows 9d 8d 7s 6h 4h.

lucas9000
05-09-2005, 01:09 AM
i don't really like the raise utg with 256xx. shorthanded or heads up, yeah, but not at a nearly full table. i also don't like the third round raise. i know you were trying to get him to break his hand, but if he's passive doesn't him betting out at you indicate he's happy with his hand and is sticking to it? i just don't like the 256 draw very much to begin with, and i think it got you into trouble here.

TakeMeToTheRiver
05-09-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Advice on 2nd draw and the river please!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he is calling you regardless of what you do once he knew that you were behind. And if he is loose passive, he is calling you all the way down once he made his rough 9. If you have played like a rock (which I doubt if you raised with this hand UTG) AND he noticed that you played that way, he might break. With a weak player, I would expect the check-raise makes him break less than one out of three times... I am not going to try to do the rest of the math on that assumption now... its too early on a Monday.

Do you think you will be playing TD tomorrow night? If there is a high likelihood of a game, I will arrange to be there. - Never mind... just saw your email... anyone else in the NYC area that is interested in playing live 2-7 TD (probably 4/8 stakes), send me a PM for info.

fnord_too
05-09-2005, 04:47 PM
Before I read the other comments...

Fold the turn. You are getting 3:1 on your draw, and the BEST you can hope for is to have 12 cards that give you the winner. You have 8 that you can hit that you feel decent about betting. This is a fold. If you must play on, call.

Pre flop: if this is a loose pasive game, I like limping there. 256 is a trouble hand, and UTG 5 handed I really don't like it. Limping seems ok if you don't expect to get raised, and I think it is ok to play this hand for a raise if you know you will have position (i.e. you did not end up in a horrible spot). This is a great hand to sneak in with if the BB is not going to charge you when he has a one card draw, even after you drew two.

Against nice opponents like this, just play your own hand. Save your bets and raises for when you figure to have the best made hand or draw and take all the free cards you can when you don't.

Here is a not uncommon line I take that I think has saved me a lot once I started taking it: Raise, get called from the blinds. We each take two. I don't improve, he checks I check behind. He takes 1 or 2, I take two and need at least one more card to make my hand. He bets, I fold.

Even if he took two and I improve to a one card draw to a decent hand, it just isn't worth to call there IMO. The pot is small and I am not getting good odds on my call. That is not to say that is the only line. If I have a great one card draw I may call or raise or if I think villain is making a move I may raise, stand pat and bet if checked to, but by and large, I think just getting away from the hand is usually best.

Here, you know villain is not making a move, and you have a really bad draw since a three gives you a straight, and a 9 may not be an out. (heck, he could have even caught perfect on a hand like 7654 and you could be drawing to the remaining three sevens for all you know when you raised. When he doesn't reraise you can rule that out, but he has had two pulls at a one card draw, and he isn't too keen on pushing his advantage before he has a made hand.)

Luv2DriveTT
05-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Sorry all... one small comment on the table. It was TIGHT as can be, first tight 2-7 table I've ever played at. With the exception of the Villain. Normally I don't raise with a 2-x-6 here, but it worked great at this table. Aggression pre-flop drove out the players every time.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif