PDA

View Full Version : Annie Duke TOC Commentary?

LotsOfOuts69
05-08-2005, 11:21 PM
I heard somewhere that Annie duke did a commentary on her TOC victory, did this ever air? Is there somewhere I can download it? Thanks.

--LoO

ZBTHorton
05-09-2005, 12:02 AM
I would probably pay money not to watch this...wow.

Maybe I'm alone on that.

I wonder if on the commentary it talks about the deal her and Hellmuth made...:)

Smoothcall
05-09-2005, 12:21 AM
They made a deal? I don't think that happened. Unless Hellmuth is a liar. When he got beat he said it was all or nothing. 2 million or nothing and it stung. Indicating there was no deal.

ZBTHorton
05-09-2005, 12:22 AM
Search the archives. When this happened back 5 months ago or whatever a large group of people heard they made a deal. It wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Smoothcall
05-09-2005, 12:54 AM
Well it wouldn't surprise mer to make a deal in such a situation. But why does phil go on and on about how he got zip after he was eliminated. Why would someone go out of there way to say they got nothing if he got something.

paperchamp
05-09-2005, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well it wouldn't surprise mer to make a deal in such a situation. But why does phil go on and on about how he got zip after he was eliminated. Why would someone go out of there way to say they got nothing if he got something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea if they made a deal or not but with all the fluff that goes into televised poker, I wouldn't be surprised if Phil did that just for show.

hicherbie
05-09-2005, 01:31 AM
she commented about a lot of her decisions in TOC on her website.

benfranklin
05-09-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
she commented about a lot of her decisions in TOC on her website.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found the commentary to be interesting and insightful: TOC (http://www.annieduke.com/journal.php?journalID=3)

I linked directly to the commentary so that those of you who are super sensitive, like Danny N., would not be subjected to the home page picture of Annie's feet.

htc1278
05-09-2005, 01:51 PM
My favorite part of her commentary is when she noticed that her brother was not playing post-flop poker against his opponents and was instead moving all-in pre-flop. They were using Sklansky's System. That's pretty amusing.

Octopus
05-09-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They made a deal? I don't think that happened. Unless Hellmuth is a liar. When he got beat he said it was all or nothing. 2 million or nothing and it stung. Indicating there was no deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

(Not that this is conclusive evidence, but ...) Annie Duke has stated on these boards that, while she did sell parts of herself to others, she did not have any deal with any of the other participants and knew of no such deals. The agreement with the shows producers did not allow for any such deals and if one were discovered they would face forfeiture of the prize money.

My guess is that there were no deals.

benfranklin
05-09-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My favorite part of her commentary is when she noticed that her brother was not playing post-flop poker against his opponents and was instead moving all-in pre-flop. They were using Sklansky's System. That's pretty amusing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably the best way to play against Phil. His preferred strategy is generally to avoid preflop races and to outplay his opponent post flop. He is very good at post flop play, and not letting him play his game puts him on tilt. (Yes, believe it or not, it is possible to put Phil on tilt.)

Victor
05-09-2005, 02:27 PM
the conclusion in the archives was that many uninformed posters accused the big name pros of making a deal, while more reputable players close to the pros (and annie herself) vehemetly denied that any such deal took place between the players at that table.

htc1278
05-09-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably the best way to play against Phil. His preferred strategy is generally to avoid preflop races and to outplay his opponent post flop. He is very good at post flop play, and not letting him play his game puts him on tilt. (Yes, believe it or not, it is possible to put Phil on tilt.)

[/ QUOTE ]

It would definitely annoy Hellmuth to no end that they are employing this strategy. I'm pretty sure it would drive everyone at that table crazy because they can't play post-flop poker. The thing that I find funny is that the System is a way for an overmatched player to even things out against the good players. I could understand why Annie might feel it's helpful to use it against those players (she says that she thought she'd be the first out and that she was surprised that she was even invited) but I'm surprised that Howard was using it. I feel like he's on par with those other players and I wonder why he wouldn't try to outplay them post-flop? To possibly put them on tilt? Do you think there are other reasons that he might have been trying to avoid playing them post-flop? Do you think it would have been better to have modified it and only used it against the players that might try playing anything (Daniel, Gus) and to have played more postflop poker against the players he felt he was better than?

McGahee
05-09-2005, 03:47 PM
She also said Lederer was much better than Helmuth and she picked up tells on Fossilman.

benfranklin
05-09-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I feel like he's on par with those other players and I wonder why he wouldn't try to outplay them post-flop? To possibly put them on tilt? Do you think there are other reasons that he might have been trying to avoid playing them post-flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is like a classic case of a great player changing gears. At this point, the blinds were getting pretty big. As long as you can steal the blinds, why not do it? When that doesn't work any more, change gears again and play a post flop game.

Hellmuth in particular likes to play small ball, calling to see the flop and then value bet his good hands. He had a big stack, and he was probably the worst player at the table as far as being capable of quickly changing gears.

Russ McGinley
05-09-2005, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I noticed that as the blinds and antes got higher, my brother, Howard Lederer, had started moving in a lot. I thought about why he would do this and realized he had come up with just the right strategy—not surprisingly since he is one of the greatest poker players to have ever played the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok Annie. We get it. You think Howard is great. Does she have to shovel it down people's throats at every possible opportunity?

Hold'me
05-09-2005, 08:10 PM
The real question is why would Phil want to accept a deal? If he considers himself the best hold'em player in the world, why would he not like his chances heads-up against Annie Duke of all people? She herself admitted she was the weakest player at that table. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

sketchy1
05-10-2005, 04:28 AM
I believe he was at a chip disadvantage. If you have to ask why he would WANT to make a deal when he trailed in chips, and 2nd place was ZERO, then I don't think you even understand the point of a deal in the first place.

Your Mom
05-10-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Think about it for a couple of seconds and you should be able to come up with an answer. Then you wonder why people think Diablo can beat you at cards without knowing a thing about your game.