PDA

View Full Version : Contender

rusty JEDI
05-08-2005, 10:50 PM
Amazing episode, and maybe the best bit of TV all time.

rJ

SackUp
05-08-2005, 11:33 PM
Damn...on right now in west coast. Fight coming up soon. Can't wait!!

MarkD
05-08-2005, 11:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
maybe the best bit of TV all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which part. I love contender and think it's probably the best show on TV atm but I'm not sure what instance you are referring to here. The Brinkley uppercut?

SackUp
05-08-2005, 11:56 PM
Wow!!

Ridiculously good fight!!

Agreed, AMAZING episode!

If all fights were edited with slow motion shots, boxing would be sooo much more popular. I'm gonna tivo all fights for now and and then add in some slow motion.

this guy
05-09-2005, 12:05 AM
Yeah, this week's episode was awesome as usual. I don't know much about boxing, but didn't Anthony have the fight pretty much won going into the fifth round? He had to have known that Jesse would be going for the knockout so couldn't he have fought more defensively/conservatively to avoid getting knocked out? Great fight, but I think Anthony messed up that final round.

BWebb
05-09-2005, 12:06 AM
Damn, great fight. That was one lucky ass shot. Can't believe Anthony didn't try to just tie him up and move for the final round. From what was being shown and discussed, he was up 3 to 1. Can't wait for the final 3 matches, should be awesome.

rusty JEDI
05-09-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
maybe the best bit of TV all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which part. I love contender and think it's probably the best show on TV atm but I'm not sure what instance you are referring to here. The Brinkley uppercut?

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically the Brinkley uppercut, and then he goes down. Then it cuts to his daughter and even though i want Brinkley to win, Im now hoping he gets up and wins. Then he tries to get up. All that and a good few minutes after are the "bit" im referring too.

Its not often that TV evokes that much emotion.

rJ

Felix_Nietsche
05-09-2005, 12:54 AM
I just recently got hook on this show and I LOVE IT.

It does a great job of showing the boxers personal lives and the fights are fantastic. Whoever edits that show is a genius!!!

Joe826
05-09-2005, 01:03 AM
I actually thought this was the worst episode before the 5th round of that fight. Man that was one hell of a punch. I only wish they had showed the replay a few more times.

Predictions?

alfonzo vs. jesse

sergio vs. peter

then alfonzo vs. sergio where sergio wins.

TimTimSalabim
05-09-2005, 02:16 AM
I don't get why they stopped the fight. The guy didn't look like he was hurt that bad, just dazed.

rusty JEDI
05-09-2005, 02:20 AM
He was basically unable to defend himself properly so its a dangerous situation.

rJ

astroglide
05-09-2005, 02:42 AM
i was devastated, but it seemed like they were producing the show up to a bonsante knockout so i wasn't surprised. i was particularly disappointed with his corner at the beginning of the fifth, basically telling him to keep going berserk on him. anthony has a great head on his shoulders, but anybody can get amped and if your corner is telling you to rampage and it's been working you can get caught up in the moment. SOMEBODY should have verbalized, "all you have to do is not get knocked down and you win." jesse's corner had the old dude with the good sense to say, "YOU NEED TO KNOCK HIM OUT TO WIN!"

Popinjay
05-09-2005, 03:12 AM
yea i agree. anthony thrives on his ability to become a killing machine but when he does so he isn't able to box smart. it killed him tonight against a good, thinking opponent

oh and what's with each of their wives? at first I thought anthony's was his mother. with jesse it just seems like he could do a lot better.

shant
05-09-2005, 03:17 AM
I don't watch many episodes of this show, but I read your post and headed over to a friend's house who does watch. Wow, that was a great fight. Thanks for the heads up.

B00T
05-09-2005, 03:59 AM
That is Anthony's mother. Jesse's wife is definitely not much to look at. That was the only reason I was happy Ahmad came back, his wife was hot.

oreogod
05-09-2005, 04:09 AM
I dont have cable, so I forgot that this show had even started airing yet.

Downloading all the EPs on emule as we speak. Looks like it could be a good show.

SuitedSixes
05-09-2005, 04:53 AM
I am "posting blind." My DVR missed this episode (and I have two!) so I will have to catch it on MSNBC tomorrow afternoon. Can't wait!

SuitedSixes
05-09-2005, 11:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I actually thought this was the worst episode before the 5th round of that fight. Man that was one hell of a punch. I only wish they had showed the replay a few more times.

Predictions?

alfonzo vs. jesse

sergio vs. peter

[/ QUOTE ]

I slowed the preview down it is:

<font color="white"> Manfredo vs. Gomez Part II </font>

SuitedSixes
05-09-2005, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i was devastated, but it seemed like they were producing the show up to a bonsante knockout so i wasn't surprised. i was particularly disappointed with his corner at the beginning of the fifth, basically telling him to keep going berserk on him. anthony has a great head on his shoulders, but anybody can get amped and if your corner is telling you to rampage and it's been working you can get caught up in the moment. SOMEBODY should have verbalized, "all you have to do is not get knocked down and you win." jesse's corner had the old dude with the good sense to say, "YOU NEED TO KNOCK HIM OUT TO WIN!"

[/ QUOTE ]

That is dead-on analysis. From something some of the boxers have said after fights, it leads me to believe that they get lost in the moment of being on such a big stage and just start brawling (Juan never throwing a jab for example).

I was disappointed in Jesse's preparation. I am a big Jesse fan and the whole time I just kept thinking (an overused cliche') he didn't want it as much as Bonsante. It may just be bravado, after the fact, but I had the feeling that Jesse was trying to save himself for the next round.

I am pretty sure I am going to Vegas for the finale. Anyone else?

SuitedSixes
05-10-2005, 01:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"Jesse's a strong guy," said Bonsante. "He's very, very strong. I knew going into this show that he was the one man standing in between me and the million dollars. I beat him three out of the first four rounds. And if my trainer or my corner men would have said that all you need to do is go in and box, I would have won. I would have stayed on the outside and boxed but I was told that I needed the round. So, I went out there and I started to slug with him. Both of us are bangers. Jesse caught me with a beautiful uppercut and I went down. It just happened."

[/ QUOTE ]

Popinjay
05-10-2005, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Predictions?

alfonzo vs. jesse

sergio vs. peter

[/ QUOTE ]

I slowed the preview down it is:

<font color="white"> Manfredo vs. Gomez Part II </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

that will be soo awesome. <font color="white">gomez</font> got a great draw imo as he stacks up best against manfredo than the others

SuitedSixes
05-10-2005, 01:19 AM
On confidence alone he is in Peter's head, whose dad is not good for him.

Glenn
05-10-2005, 01:43 AM
Without seeing all of the first four rounds, it's hard to know how decisive the scoring was. 3-1 is not much different from 2-2, and any good boxer should now not to leave any room for error with the judges. If you think are up 89-82 after 9 rounds of a 10 round fight go ahead and run away for a round. One round is not enough of a cushion to take a round off though. Look at DLH's fight with Trinidad. Maybe Bonsante should have been less agressive, but you better be pretty damn sure you're way ahead before you start giving up rounds because judges can be unpredictable.

Popinjay
05-10-2005, 02:21 AM
Vote for the fan favorites fights for the finale (http://contender.tv.yahoo.com/01/fanfavoriteresults.html?poll_id=5314&amp;user_choice=8 )

bholdr
05-10-2005, 02:47 AM
am i the only one that wants to see the whole fights? i can't stand all the strange camera angles and poorly timed cuts... it's like they're trying to turn every fight into the last five minutes of a rocky movie (natch, i suppose).

I hope:

A: the final fight and/or the quarterfinals are at least 7 rounds. this five round stuff is crap. i personally feel that there's only a limited ammount you can learn about a fighter in a short fight, there's little incentive to pace one's self, and the fighters are more inclined to train for power than endurance, too many garbage wins, etc...

B: that they'll give us some real info... maybe i'm missing it (i play poker while watching) but where's the height/weight/reach, etc...?

C: that they will broadcast the entire final fight, no editing.

oh well... it's still damn good TV, and i'll watch the rest, then i'll be pumped when/if the winner actually gets a shot at an established pro... they'll get killed. Jesse is the most impressive of the bunch, IMO, he is patient, cautious, tough, and has a really heavy right hand. of the others, one of them looks like a corpse after every fight, there's no way he makes it in a real fight, his eyes will swell shut, his nose won't stop bleeding... he has no shot to contend on any lever higher than this show. one of the others seems to run out of gas in round 3... no good. i don't know their names, sry.

Joe826
05-10-2005, 03:18 AM
so i'm a total boxing noob, but it's not the case that these fighters are really that good compared to any established pros? the show makes it sound like they're right up there, they just haven't "gotten their shot".

go peter go.

TimTimSalabim
05-10-2005, 04:19 AM
They go to 7 rounds next week, at least that's what Tivo says.

If the final fight is really live like they're been building it up to be, then we'll get to see the whole thing.