PDA

View Full Version : 2003 WSOP Moneymaker commentary on ESPN2

TightIsRight
05-08-2005, 10:02 PM
Just a heads up.

This is scheduled to start right now. It will be interesting to see his commentary on the hands Harrington talks about in HoH.

PoBoy321
05-08-2005, 10:16 PM
I saw this a few days ago. I really wasn't impressed with his commentary and he certainly isn't anywhere near the calibre of player that Raymer is.

Russ McGinley
05-08-2005, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I saw this a few days ago. I really wasn't impressed with his commentary and he certainly isn't anywhere near the calibre of player that Raymer is.

[/ QUOTE ]

20 minutes in or so and this is really lousy commentary. His explanation of his call with QJo against Lester's AQs was brutal. "I'm pretty sure I'm beat but I have chips so...". His play, brilliant, in his opinion.

Sponger15SB
05-08-2005, 10:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

20 minutes in or so and this is really lousy commentary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow it just keeps getting worse. Why am I watching this....

OrangeKing
05-08-2005, 10:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So he bet it with his left hand...which means he must be bluffing...even though here he's not...it was a reliable tell.

LotsOfOuts69
05-08-2005, 10:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So he bet it with his left hand...which means he must be bluffing...even though here he's not...it was a reliable tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha yeah that was the best

Russ McGinley
05-08-2005, 10:59 PM
Its possible that Sam knew or found out about this supposed tell and used it to his advantage hoping MM would make a move on him. I always laugh when they show MM's dad every 5 minutes trying to be an analyst. I keep picturing Officer Barbrady and I don't know why.

top6
05-08-2005, 11:11 PM
I was watching this the other day, - did MM say he offered to split the prize money 50/50 with Farha when it was heads up and Farha turned him down? Did I hear this right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but MM had a pretty substantial chip lead at that point, and I find it surprising that Farha would turn that down, no matter how much better he thought it was.

I didn't think this commentary was interesting from a poker standpoint, but interesting to hear MM's thoughts as he goes from being an accountant to an instant millionaire/celebrity. Pretty funny that he doesn't even know the name of the guy who ran up and hugged him.

scottgiese
05-09-2005, 12:03 AM
I think Moneymaker had something like a 3:2 or maybe even a 2:1 chip lead, but I doubt Farha hesitated much in turning down the deal.

1) Farha's got to have more heads-up experience than Moneymaker. Sure the kid lasted this long, but that was almost all play at full tables. Even with the chip lead it was probably fairly close to a coin flip.

2) Mess with Moneymaker's head. Farha looks like he should be hanging with the Rat Pack -- he's not gonna make a deal and look like a coward.

3) The bracelet (i.e. fame) probably means more to Farha than the difference between a split and 2nd place. Giving Moneymaker a split takes all the pressure off. Anyone can play aggressively when there's nothing at stake.

If it were me, I'd be rattled a little if I offered an even-money split to a guy I've got outchipped 2:1 and he flat turned me down. Intimidation's a big part of Farha's game -- that cigarette ain't lit, but it's there for a reason.

Smoothcall
05-09-2005, 12:17 AM
It was stupidity not to take that deal if he was behind by that much. Only one thing that makes sens is if he didn't care about the money and wanted the title. As moneymaker would probably play better if the stress was off. But its still a bad idea to turn down an offer to chop if he is down 2:1 in chips. EGO nothing else! Gues he got what he desereved!

ClaytonN
05-09-2005, 12:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Only one thing that makes sens is if he didn't care about the money and wanted the title.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which, to an extent, is the correct answer. I can't speak for Farha, but the man plays in big cash games, high enough that a few losing sessions would tune to a sum higher than the winning prize that day.

Figure that in, plus the fact that Farha was much more experienced, and it's easy so see why he turned the deal down.

Smoothcall
05-09-2005, 12:50 AM
Still not east to turn down. There is no garyuntee moneymaker will play better if they make the deal. He might play worse becasue there is no more money to win and get sloppy and stupid. So if he makes the deal. It is +ev and still has good chance to win the title. Its not like he's giving up the title by making the deal.

ClaytonN
05-09-2005, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It is +ev and still has good chance to win the title. Its not like he's giving up the title by making the deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you understand what I'm trying to point out, so I'll make a metaphor.

Let's assume you're playing in the Stars 350k guaranteed event. Before the event started, your bankroll was $1,000.

You are now heads up with a 3:2 chip lead. First place gets 81k, second gets 55k.

$26,000 is A LOT OF MONEY if your bankroll at that point is only $1,000. That's money to spend on college, food, kids, card, house, whatever.

If you are a weaker player, and consider yourself a weaker player, you make the deal. That money means a lot.

On the other side of the coin, consider if you are a much stronger player heads-up with a 3:2 disadvantage and you are a multimillionaire who plays very high stakes. 26k is a good deal of money, but not lifechanging in your regard. In this circumstance, it would make little sense to deal.

But most importantly, stepping aside, Farha wanted to win this title as a professional and have as little "taintedness" in this victory, should he get it.

Smoothcall
05-09-2005, 01:05 AM
I understand what you meant the first time. But to not take a deal when down2"1 in chips where you get half the money is stupidity. Period. He can do it if he doesn't care about money. But doesn't mean it was the right move.

McGahee
05-09-2005, 09:34 AM
I've never hated Moneymaker like most here seem to, but I thought he sounded like a bit of jerk describing the bluff vs. Farhah. He made it sound like the guy had garbage and he knew it all along rather than admitting he might've misread his hand. Does he really make that move if he knew Farhah had top freaking pair?

Hold'me
05-09-2005, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never hated Moneymaker like most here seem to, but I thought he sounded like a bit of jerk describing the bluff vs. Farhah. He made it sound like the guy had garbage and he knew it all along rather than admitting he might've misread his hand. Does he really make that move if he knew Farhah had top freaking pair?

[/ QUOTE ]
Farha started to call MM's bets with his left hand, MM instantly put him on a weak holding and decided that if Farha didn't re-raise him on the turn that he's pushing all-in regardless of the river card. MM made a great comment that Farha considered himself the better player and might not want to risk the championship on a top pair semi-strong kicker hand. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Smoothcall
05-09-2005, 09:55 AM
He doesn't come off as a jerk to me. He comes off as someone who is not that good a player. Not that bad either. But a nice guy. Comes off nicer than most. And my guess is its genuine. Where others put a big smile on but are not so nice.

nuclear500
05-09-2005, 11:59 AM
When was this filmed?

His commentary almost sounded like he was having trouble recalling events.