PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started in Hold'em: Opening Percents

Student
05-08-2005, 09:36 PM
I'd figured out how to use probability theory to compute percentages of hands one would take part in, for a given opening hands table. The book suggests a quite tight table (see page 108), and also strategy for betting before the flop, and after.

My contribution is to compute the percentage of hands one would enter, if relying on Miller's table. Here are the results: Early Position 9.35%, Middle Position 15.23%, and Late Position 18.854%. Since I play at tables with 9 players, I've weighted these 3 results for 4 seats in Early, 2 seats in Middle and 3 seats in Late. This results in an overall average of 13.825%.

I'm a beginner who played at freeplay games for 3 weeks and then 1,400 hands at 1/2 cents NL HE tables. I saw that I was gradually losing money, and I came to realize I needed a proper beginner book. Miller recommends some screwed up thinking resulting from the normal learning procedure, the one we've used successfully all of our lives. He refers to "Small Stakes Hold'em," pp 16-18, for what has been happening to me. Good call!

I haven't read the book, but I've read everything about the book, written in the Books Forum. I'm utterly convinced this book will be perfect for my plight. Being 67 years old, I have only another 30-40 years to play, if that! I can't actually spend years learning poker, satisfactory to earn a little money from it. So I've been working pretty much all the time at learning poker, but I sensed I was going down the wrong path. Thanks to this book (which I've scanned personally) I know I have a book that will bridge where I am with poker, to the 20 books I've bought, and the inappropriate experience I've had so far. Thanks Ed Miller and 2+2!!!

Dave