PDA

View Full Version : PP players...how do you do it with only 800 in chips??!!!

Nick M
05-08-2005, 09:06 PM
For the life of me I don't understand how a PP player can be profitable in SNGs...well you know what I mean, I couldn't do it. I have been checking out some other sites besides pokerstars and they just don't compare. Ok PP has the big fish, I understand that. But who needs big fish when you have chips and time??? Just give me some minos, good starting chips, and time.

Does anyone play at both PS and PP??? Do you guys see a difference??? More gambling I would think at party, because there just doesn't seem like enough room to breathe. I mean i guess one could argue you're all in the same boat, so you're all gambling. But still I need to be able to pick my spots.

Freudian
05-08-2005, 09:07 PM
1. Plug in your luckbox
2. Push

zipppy
05-08-2005, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. Plug in your luckbox
2. Push

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I purchased the deluxe luckbox. It came with the "ignore hole cards" option.

TruFloridaGator
05-08-2005, 09:16 PM
It does seem like PP is tough when you play a bigger stack, but I was marginally profitable at PP & I can see why in the end it is much better for multiers & the top players. However, I love the big stacks myself, but will probably go back to PP one day.

Freudian
05-08-2005, 09:19 PM
I'll be more serious. Yes, with bigger stacks and slower blinds a skilled player have a bigger advantage. But the SnGs take twice as long to complete. So if you play to make money, the PP SnGs should be more profitable. They go fast and you have a big enough edge in them.

Voltron87
05-08-2005, 09:19 PM
personally I wouldn't mind 20 hands of 10/15, 10 of 50/100 and then 100/200.

Nick M
05-08-2005, 09:29 PM
yeah you are definitely right about that. For a person that can play the shorter SNGs well PP is a lot better. I kinda wish I could do that. I tried for a little to get into the turbos but I just couldn't take it.

I would still think a Turbo on pokerstars would be more profitable than a regular at PP...to a fast paced player that is.

elonkra
05-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all PS SNG's played nine-handed? I recently left PS after giving it a try even though I think I like the features there the best because I was under the assumption that there are no ten-handed games, at least at my level ($5.50). I'd like to give PP a try to see if I can win there on a faster basis, but I don't have the bankroll for the $11's yet, and I'm not paying dollar-vig on my $5's.

suited_ace
05-08-2005, 11:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. Plug in your luckbox

[/ QUOTE ]

So *that's* why! Can you buy it on Amazon and get overnight shipment?

LeVoodoo
05-08-2005, 11:30 PM
I play at PokerRoom/Bet on Bet but gave Eurobet a try this past weekend. I have mixed feelings about it. The games were much, much quicker. I don't think they were any easier though, the shorter stack nullifies some of my edge on the fishies. When I move from 4 to 8 tables I'll probably play half of them at Euro.

Nick M
05-08-2005, 11:45 PM
yes the full table games are 9 handed...but they have 6 handed too. This is what I play mostly.

Freudian
05-08-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I play at PokerRoom/Bet on Bet but gave Eurobet a try this past weekend. I have mixed feelings about it. The games were much, much quicker. I don't think they were any easier though, the shorter stack nullifies some of my edge on the fishies. When I move from 4 to 8 tables I'll probably play half of them at Euro.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you need to modify your strategy a bit. Managing your stack is very important on Party. If you don't have any folding equity you are in trouble and you only have about 40 hands to get your stack ready.

A lot of the more subtle elements of tournament poker get lost at Party SnGs compared to SnGs with deeper stacks and slower blinds.

JoshuaMayes
05-09-2005, 09:02 AM
I play there because the players make calls like this one from yesterday:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t2845)
Button (t1630)
SB (t1940)
Hero (t1585)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t400) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1385 (All-In)</font>, SB calls t1185.

Turn: (t3170) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t3170) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t3170

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has Ac 8h (straight, eight high).
Hero has Td Qd (one pair, tens).
Outcome: SB wins t3170. </font>

Yup, he called off 1100 of his remaining 1500 chips with A high and no draw on the bubble.

Sam T.
05-09-2005, 09:14 AM
This is why I came back to Party from Stars. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=singletable&amp;Number=207 2306&amp;Forum=,,,,,,All_Forums,,,,,,&amp;Words=&amp;Searchpag e=5&amp;Limit=25&amp;Main=2072306&amp;Search=true&amp;where=&amp;Name= 7120&amp;daterange=&amp;newerval=&amp;newertype=&amp;olderval=&amp;old ertype=&amp;bodyprev=#Post2072306)

theredpill5
05-09-2005, 09:24 AM
yes, good letter, but your new avatar scares the hell out of me.

Sam T.
05-09-2005, 09:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
your new avatar scares the hell out of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanted to get on the hot chick bandwagon. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jibbs
05-09-2005, 10:27 AM
I just started playing the sng's at party because I wanted to give the steps a try. I normally play stars, bodog, full-tilt, or ultimate-bet. The 800 dollar starting point took some real getting used to. Its about 30 hands until push or fold mode.

I think you can be just as profitable at these as at any of the other sites, you just get into the mid and late game strategies a whole hell of lot faster. That being said, I still prefer the deeper stacks.

tomdemaine
05-09-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. Plug in your luckbox
2. Push

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to write your book now Raptor /images/graemlins/smile.gif

benfranklin
05-09-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1. Plug in your luckbox

[/ QUOTE ]

So *that's* why! Can you buy it on Amazon and get overnight shipment?

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazon doesn't carry them. I got mine on eBay. If you buy a luckbox there, you can get a pattern map for half-price.

SNOWBALL138
05-09-2005, 01:52 PM
At the low level SNGs, TPTK and overpairs are "the nuts". People are willing to call off their whole stacks with hands I wouldn't even sneeze at.
On the flip side, people are not aggressive enough on the bubble at the low lvl SNGs. Its not uncommon for everyone to fold to my BB when I am the chip leader. Party players are where its at!
The 800 chips is actually a good thing b/c the SNGs end faster, and so even though you have more variance and a lower ROI, your hourly rate can compensate for that.

SNOWBALL138
05-09-2005, 01:54 PM
Short stack Hold em is a lot easier to play. This makes multi-tabling pretty feasible for inexperienced players.

Cleveland Guy
05-09-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I play there because the players make calls like this one from yesterday:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t2845)
Button (t1630)
SB (t1940)
Hero (t1585)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t400) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1385 (All-In)</font>, SB calls t1185.

Turn: (t3170) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t3170) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t3170

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has Ac 8h (straight, eight high).
Hero has Td Qd (one pair, tens).
Outcome: SB wins t3170. </font>

Yup, he called off 1100 of his remaining 1500 chips with A high and no draw on the bubble.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think this happens only at PP - your living in a small world.

I can find examples of this everyday in most SnGs at just about any sight.

sofere
05-09-2005, 02:05 PM
Oh good...I've been waiting for an excuse to make this post.

I just switched over to Party from Stars and I LOVE IT. It took me about 50 games to get fully acclamated to the structure (I played like CRAP and had a -20% ROI for those 50), but with a bit of self analysis and some ICM work, most things are appearing to be clear cut to me.

Of course I'm floating on a cloud of postive variance right now, and will probably hate party in a few months but right now its the bees knees (never really got that expression but its fun to say...try it).

The shorter games a giving a HUGE boost to my $/hr and the fish just keep on biting. Of course its frustrating when every so often some fish calls my 6xbb garbage push with Q7 and wins, but everything else about it is gold.

The only thing that annoys me about Party is that it takes a long time for full tables to disappear from the join table section. I will click on a table that says 'still waiting for 8 players' and it will be already playing (anyone else run into this).

Edit: The thing that took the most getting used to was not panicking when I had less than 8xbb (which happens a lot less frequently on Stars)

Blarg
05-09-2005, 02:34 PM
Yeah everybody gets annoyed by that. Party software is not all that great, that's for sure.

JoshuaMayes
05-09-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that Party does not have the worst players of all the major sites?

gasgod
05-09-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only thing that annoys me about Party is that it takes a long time for full tables to disappear from the join table section. I will click on a table that says 'still waiting for 8 players' and it will be already playing (anyone else run into this).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and if you email them about this, their response is a bunch of lame suggestions, followed by "Nobody else seems to have this problem, it must be your ISP."

GG

Cleveland Guy
05-09-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that Party does not have the worst players of all the major sites?

[/ QUOTE ]

No - I think it is widely believed that Party has the worst players - but there are also plenty of other sites with plenty of bad players.

Freudian
05-09-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No - I think it is widely believed that Party has the worst players - but there are also plenty of other sites with plenty of bad players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most other sites are as fishy as Party (UB and Stars are the exceptions). Party does have fast games and a lot of games though.

Scuba Chuck
05-09-2005, 03:54 PM
Have you played poker before? Do you understand the gap concept?

Seriously.
Scuba

Nick M
05-09-2005, 05:26 PM
I have never played at party. And yes I know the gap concept...but I don't think that has to much to do with starting chips. What, you can push more if you have a clear understanding of the gap concept??? But that is my point. If you're basing your success mostly on your execution of the gap concept, than you're gambling a lot. The upside obviously is time. Your gambling with a small edge a lot, instead of with a big edge a little. If you can multi table this is huge. But i just don't know how you do it. Mentally I just can't let it go. I have to be in control. I need to learn to let go and trust the odds but it's tough. I'm going to try and play more Turbos, that should help.

adanthar
05-09-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and if you email them about this, their response is a bunch of lame suggestions, followed by "Nobody else seems to have this problem, it must be your ISP."

GG

[/ QUOTE ]

To kinda fix that, click on the 'sort by players' column a lot - it will try to refresh itself every time so it's quite a bit faster that way.

microbet
05-09-2005, 06:13 PM
TYVM!