PDA

View Full Version : wasn't this a fold, right?

smartalecc5
05-08-2005, 08:22 PM
I was reading a thing about Mike Magee on eurobetpoker.com and he comments on this one hand. If I am correct he had to call 4900 into a ~150ish pot on a flush draw (even assuming he had a live draw and wasn't up against a boat).

Isn't calling 4900 into a 150 pot on a flush draw like the antithesis of pot odds?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~~*~*~*~~*~ *~*~

Last Friday I played in a £100 No-Limit freeze-out at Luton. We started with 5,000 chips and a good blind structure. The blinds began at 25 and on the third hand I limped with Ace 6 of hearts. There were 3 callers, plus the small & big blind also flat called. With 6 way action I liked the odds. The flop came 3 of hearts, 3 of diamonds & the Jack of hearts. The first person to act was the small blind & calmly he said "all in for 4,900". Everyone passed around to me and I took 10 seconds to make a decision and……………………….

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IN THIS SITUATION?

Take your eyes away from the computer & imagine yourself in this predicament. Would you call, and if wrong you would be the first out of the tournament or would you pass and wait for a better opportunity to arrive?

YOU HAVE 2 MINUTES TO DECIDE!

I called and the dealer announced "on your backs". The small blind was reluctant to turn over his cards so I turned mine over first. Sheepishly and after my request he turned over Queen 5 of hearts. If you dealt this hand 100,000 times, my hand would win on 81,750 of those occasions, so I was pleased with my decision.

Unfortunately, 4th street was the 5 of clubs!

When it comes to making a decision, always trust your first instincts!

pzhon
05-09-2005, 08:33 AM
You can call a push of any size when you are the favorite and last to act.

The nut flush draw is often a favorite heads-up, and not just against a lower flush draw. However, I can easily imagine someone pushing here with a 3 or boat. Sometimes it looks like a bluff.

mrh86
05-09-2005, 11:48 AM
It's a pretty nice bluff whether one of his hole cards was a 3 or not. I'd of probably called on the flop, even though statistically a 35% chance of completing my flush is not acceptable to me if I had gotten to thinking about it. My instincts would've made me call him instantly though.

eOXevious
05-09-2005, 12:54 PM
Its to early in the game to detect how people play. I would say he is trying to scare out the flush draw.

winchips
05-09-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Last Friday I played in a £100 No-Limit freeze-out at Luton.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry.....what is a freezeout?

wmspringer
05-10-2005, 01:06 PM
No rebuys