PDA

View Full Version : Quentin Tarantino

trying2learn
05-08-2005, 06:49 PM
after thinking about the best director poll...i've decided that I believe QT to be a much better writer than he is a director or producer...and most definitely actor.

ilya
05-08-2005, 06:54 PM
My favorite QT quality is his soundtracking skill.

SpearsBritney
05-08-2005, 06:56 PM
My favorite QT quality is his looking like a stupit retart on talkshows skill.

trying2learn
05-08-2005, 06:56 PM
actually...i didn't even think of that...sorry. good point.

i just think the guys gift for dialogue and story is what's garnered him the ability to do all the other things...which he may or may not be so good at.

fluxrad
05-08-2005, 07:11 PM
Really his talent lies in total control. Look at the movies he's had complete control over (a la Pulp Fiction). Just unbelievable movies.

Now look at the stuff he's been involved with but didn't necessarily control:

Four Rooms, From Dusk 'Till Dawn.

God damn. need I say more.

trying2learn
05-08-2005, 07:14 PM
i see what you mean...but my example was True Romance...all he did was write that movie...and it's f'n genius.

i don't know that i would have enjoyed it more if he directed it...in fact, i'm afraid he would have tried to make it more interesting or something.

AEKDBet
05-08-2005, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Really his talent lies in total control. Look at the movies he's had complete control over (a la Pulp Fiction). Just unbelievable movies.

Now look at the stuff he's been involved with but didn't necessarily control:

Four Rooms, From Dusk 'Till Dawn.

God damn. need I say more.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

fluxrad
05-08-2005, 07:21 PM
Actually, I think Tarantino's talent lies in being the only white man that could walk up to Samuel L. Jackson, ask "Do I have a sign on my lawn that says 'Dead Nigger Storage'?" and live to tell about it.

jakethebake
05-08-2005, 07:43 PM
i'm pretty sure it's masturbation.

Blarg
05-08-2005, 08:37 PM
It's his writing.

It's possible to think of other people directing Pulp Fiction or Jackie Brown, but it's impossible to think of anyone else writing them.

Projects that he writes are still unmistakeably Tarantino, like True Romance. Tony Scott directed it, but after seeing it you might as well say Tony Who?, because it's Tarantino's show all the way.

People are crazy for the chance to act in his films because the writing is so good and his dialogue so outstanding. And if they're lucky, they might get a speech or even a throw-away line that people are still raving about 10 or 20 years later.

Not to sell his directing talent short, but lots of times during the very best parts of a Tarantino film, all the camera has to do is not run out of film, and everything will be fine.

sublime
05-08-2005, 09:13 PM
dude-

you make some good posts.

you should go pro

PokerFink
05-08-2005, 09:24 PM
At times, his writing is better. Pulp Fiction.

At times, his direction is better. Kill Bill. Remember, the fantastic sound and music is all QT's direction, not just a lot of awesome shots. And yeah, I know KB is just a ripoff of tons of other films.

Blarg's comment about True Romance is dead on.

-Skeme-
05-08-2005, 11:07 PM
How is it his writing? He scripts very good dialogue, but he steals/borrows almost all of his concepts from other films.

trying2learn
05-09-2005, 12:45 PM
i think it's his direction that he lifts from influences. his stories aren't lifted from other things nearly as much, and certainly not his dialogue.

CallMeIshmael
05-09-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Four Rooms

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually reallly really like his room.

But... of course,

pulp >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> his room from four rooms

CallMeIshmael
05-09-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's his writing.

It's possible to think of other people directing Pulp Fiction or Jackie Brown, but it's impossible to think of anyone else writing them.

[/ QUOTE ]

End of discussion.

captZEEbo1
05-09-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's his writing.

[/ QUOTE ]

End of discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about Elmore Leonard? I can imagine HIM writing Jackie Brown =P

Blarg
05-09-2005, 02:40 PM
Leonard said Tarantino's script was not only the best screenplay of one of his books, but the best screenplay he's ever read, period.

Rum Punch, which is what Jackie Brown was based on, didn't have a black heroine. Quentin's had Pam Grier, Chris Tucker, and Samuel Jackson. Definitely still Quentin's show all the way.