PDA

View Full Version : oceans 11 trip report (underage might want to read)

csuf_gambler
05-08-2005, 06:45 PM
i went to oceans 11 yesterday for the 1st time. for those don't know, oceans is a 21+ card room. im not 21

after chillin with my boys at the world famous south coast plaza, i went home and was like fuk it and decided to try out oceans 11. i was told by members of this forum that they don't card at all so i decided to go. i was thinking maybe just go there for a hit and run, win a bill or 2 and be back in time to have a BBQ with the homies. the place is almost exactly 50 miles from my house, exactly a 40 minute drive.

i get there around 7:30pm. first thing i notice is that the parking lot is really jankey. its very small and crowded. fortunatly i found a spot. i parked in the back and there was a entrance there but i didn't want to go through the back entrance because i know i would walk in and be stumbling around like an idiot not knowing where to go. so i went through the main entrance. as i walked through the main door in the front, i noticed 3 officers just chilling at the left inside the place. i was like fuk here we go. but i just strutted right past them like i owned the fuking place and didn't even look at them.

once i was in, i knew exactly where to go to get on the board. i signed up for 3/6 and 4/8. got a seat in 4/8 almost immediatly.

i sit down at table 22. buyin for 3 racks. with in the first 5 hands im up a bill. my god that sh1t is LIVE. so im telling myself to stick with the plan, up a bill, cashout and go home. but no i decided to keep playing. the table was just way too live. family pots, family raised pots, pretty much standard.

table was all middle age to older fellas. and they were all surprisingly very nice.

i come up with another plan, i tell myself that im going to order some food and leave after i finish eating. i order a fruit plate for $2!!!! the food is here is absolutly amazing. the prices are redonkis. seriously you could come here just for the food. everything on the menu is monster cheap.

so my fruit arrives. and i start eating and winning. i hit a nice run of cards.

now heres where it gets interesting. i had hit a nice run of cards and my stack was getting pretty monster. some older guy walks by(was a brother of one of the players) and joking says something like "looks like that youngster is schooling you old folks". everyone is sorta laughing then some of them jokingly say "i want this kid to be carded" and stuff like "i bet his not even 21". i just tried to brush it off and laugh with them. but during this exact time, i was catching monster cards. the next hand i pick up AA, gets called in a few spots but i don't get called on the river, i muck it. and then the players start saying "card this kid" and now they are only half joking and half serious. i had to find way to shake this heat. but the very next hand i pick up aces again! again it gets called in a few spots but no showdown. but now sensing the heat on me, i said something like "ok ill be a nice guy and show you guys this monster" and table my aces. i had to do something to keep this table happy and get their minds off trying to get me carded. then i pick up AQ UTG, i raise and its folded around. again i table my cards just to keep these guys happy. i was working the table, joking with these guys and what not hoping they wouldn't bring up my age again. so throughout the whole night i was just doing things like that to keep these guys happy. i would show uncalled hands and table my losers at showdown. infact i think there were 1 or 2 instance where i called at showdown kinda knowing i was beat then mucking face up. you gotta do what you gotta do to stay alive.

so i finish my fruit plate and now im up 200. now im really thinking about leaving. but i couldn't get enough racks!! i didn't want to be asking and searching around for racks, that would draw too much attention and these guys might really try to get me carded. some guy even started eyeing my stack and asks me how much im up. i casually try to brush it off and say "not that much, i bought in for a lot." then some idiot saves me by saying "yea he bought in for 500", lol idiot. i didn't correct him. i decided to get a color change to conceal my stack.

so i keep playing and winning. im up to 300 and now i really want to get the hell outta there. but the oppurtunity just wasn't there to make a clean get away.

it was night time now and it seems like when the sunsets, the security guards move right to the door. whoever said that they don't card at oceans is very wrong. at table 22, i had a prefect view of the door. the guards were literally carding every single college aged looking guys. infact i saw them turn away a couple people after they got carded.

i was chatting with this really friendly older guy sitting to my left all night. he was decent but not great. i suspected he was a 2+2'er because he started saying some things to me. 1) when i first started winning, he asked me if i played online poker lol. i just burhsed it off non chantley and was like online? whats that?. i was just playing dumb, really dumb. i was like hows that work? whats the name of the sites? he told me he plays all the time on partypoker. then 2) he asks me where i learned to play poker. he started complimenting me saying i play really good. i just tried to downplay it and say i learned on tv and that im just getting really lucky. he told me that theres this really good book called "winning low limit holdem" and that i should go buy it. lol. so now im really thinking this guy might be a 2+2'er. i wanted to test the waters so i casualy say something like "speaking of books, someone told me that theres this book called 2+2, supposedly its really good, have you heard of it?". he says no. there goes my theory.

now im up only 200. hit a little dry spell and gave back a bill. i really wanted to leave but the game was still very much live and juicy and the heat was still on. i say to myself im going to order dinner and after i finish it, im leaving, no joke

i get the menu again and the prices are just really out of this world. you can get a lobster for $17. i decided to get a filet mignon for $5. my food arrives and i start eating and winning.

im back up to 300 and was seriously going to leave when i finished my filet mignon.

i keep winning. by the time im done with my filet mignon, im up $400. its about 12:30-1am and at this point, people started leaving, the table started breaking up. prefect time for a clean getaway.

while getting up from the table, the guys were saying stuff like "its been a pleasure playing with you kid", "come back and take our money again". i was truly working this table. i was conversating and joking and laughing it up with these guys. i mean thats what i usually do anyways when i play live but i had to turn it up a notch because of the whole carding issue. it was truly very psychological.

i cash out $732 at 1:15am for a total profit of $432.

SUMMARY OF OCEANS 11:
- really juicy games
- food is absolutly amazing and cheap
- carding is a big issue
- its a pretty nice place inside. theres 2 rooms, the main room and the tournment room. apparently they use the tournment room for really small limits(1/2 etc). i would say theres a total of 60 tables?

anyways, i really enjoyed the place. its only 40mins away. i really want to go back but im just not too sure about the whole carding situation. i have heard that if you get carded while playing, then they have to let you cashout. im fine with that. but can anyone say for certain that they willnot/cannot confiscate all your chips?

not only that, i don't want to drive for 40 mins only to get carded and turned away at the door. i have come up with the prefect plan for that siutation though. im thining if i get turned away then ill just go chill at the beaches in san clemente.

but now im seriously contemplating getting a fake id. this place is a fuking gold mine. but i have also heard you can get in some serious sh1t if you get caught with a fake, not sure how accurate that is. it seems like they would just turn you away.

can anyone give some real confirmations on these carding siutations?

NLSoldier
05-08-2005, 07:00 PM
There is no security by the backdoor. That is why carding isn't an issue, not because they never card anyone.

Also, they seem to be much stricter during certain hours. I think you are quite a bit more likely to get carded if you arrive between like 7-10 pm.

I really don't understand your comments regarding the juicyness of the games, 3/6 and 4/8 games are going to be incredibly soft no matter where you play.

Sponger15SB
05-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Don't get a fake id, instead order the pineapple fruit plate 5x a session.

Damn that [censored] is good....

Like NLSoldeir said, carding isn't an issue.

Bulbarainey
05-08-2005, 09:03 PM
the filet mignon is great! with a roll, baked potato, and everything for $5... although I havent seen people ever get carded at O11, Ive played there maybe 10-12 times, a few of those when i was under 21.... they may have changed some things

marsvolta619
05-08-2005, 10:24 PM
Haven't been to O11 yet, but I'm moving to Vista in about a month so I'm sure I will be hitting it up very often

Bulbarainey
05-09-2005, 03:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Haven't been to O11 yet, but I'm moving to Vista in about a month so I'm sure I will be hitting it up very often

[/ QUOTE ]

I lived in vista for 13 yrs... you probably will be spending most of your time in oside, because everyone in vista loves oside /images/graemlins/grin.gif

scott8
05-09-2005, 03:55 AM
Built my first roll on the 4/8 at the O.
Honey Garlic chicken is the best 2$ you can spend.

Dept111
05-09-2005, 05:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I really don't understand your comments regarding the juicyness of the games, 3/6 and 4/8 games are going to be incredibly soft no matter where you play.

[/ QUOTE ]

While it is true that juicy 3/6 and 4/8 games can be found everywhere, I must concur with our underage player -- there is something very special about the San Diego area, where I have historically played my most profitable poker.

As one local once told me (after I had cashed out yet another $400+ profit), "Welcome to Southern California, home of fruits, flakes, and nuts!"