PDA

View Full Version : too tight for home game??

smartalecc5
05-08-2005, 05:29 PM
I 4-table 1/2 at Party and I recently went to play in a home game. I just got completely run over. I was folding Q8 and worse, and K7 and worse, and A5 and lower. I just got caught completely offguard by the hands that these people played and the bet and wacky raises these guys had. I eventually busted out just b/c I had no good cards to play all night.

anyone ever have a smiliar experience?

TomCollins
05-08-2005, 06:54 PM
These games are high variance. Play good multi-way cards and bet for value. Read SS Holdem.

RiverDood
05-08-2005, 07:04 PM
What's the blind structure?

To me, that's the most important question in any home tournament -- right up there with overall quality of play. If the blinds start small and go up gradually, there's plenty of time to play tight/aggressive and do just fine. But if the blinds get steep in a hurry, you've probably got to make something work big-time in the first 20 hands -- or find yourself playing push-or-fold.

If there are chatty players or clumsy shufflers, it's amazing how few hands you may play at each blind level. Try to nudge people to stretch out the time between blind increases so that skill and hand selection makes a difference. If not, ask yourself whether it's worth playing in a luckfest.

smoore
05-09-2005, 06:55 PM
Play your game, you should do fine. if it's NLHE and you're not much of a NL player go play some $25 games at party (one at a time) and you'll figure it out. If you can beat party $25 you should be able to beat most home games.

Lottery Larry
05-10-2005, 03:01 PM
"If not, ask yourself whether it's worth playing in a luckfest. "

Assuming you will be just as lucky as everyone else in a luckfest tourney (on average), how much time is the minimum time for your presumed superior skills to overcome the overall luck factor for the field as a whole?