PDA

View Full Version : Mirage Incident -- Dealer snapping at player!

balt999
11-25-2002, 03:40 AM
Was at the Mirage Saturday night playing 10-20 and I witnessed something pretty funny or disturbing depending on how you see it...Anyway, a player accidently flipped his cards over as he was mucking..The dealer swipped the cards away in an aggressive manner and gave the player a dirty look....It was a shock to all of us..from my standpoint, the player clearly didn't intend to flip his cards over--it was a accident. This dialouge followed:

Player: Hey, it was an accident, you didn't have to act that way.

Dealer: (Angrily and loudly) Oh yes you did, you purposely flipped the cards over!!

The dealer was named Flora from NY, for those inquiring minds...She always seemed like a surly dealer, but this came out of left field...

Anyone encounter something similar to this...

snakehead
11-25-2002, 04:30 AM
that's nothing. I was playing at the mirage once when the dealer threatened to kill one of the players. they gave him a 24 hour suspension.

HDPM
11-25-2002, 11:42 AM
Sure, all the time. One time Sharon at the Bellagio was off on one of her 30 minute monologues in the box and I accidentally folded out of turn. She began to lecture me so I apologized saying I lost track of the action with her constant talking. She looked shocked that I said something like that. She was quiet for 15 whole seconds after that. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

Homer
11-25-2002, 12:54 PM
Yes, of course. A dealer at the Taj yelled at me and raised his fists as if he was about to strangle/punch me. Btw, he was a big, strong black dude and I was sitting in the seat next to him, no more than two feet away. At the same time an 80 yr old man at my table was yelling obscenities at me, calling me a f'ing [censored] punk.

This all started because I bet on the river in stud, and while the remaining player was debating a call, the old man said "fold, he has a straight." After the hand was over I asked the man not to make comments like that during the hand. He refused to acknowledge me so I told the dealer to instruct him to please be quiet. The dealer refused so I called the floor. I told the floor that the dealer refused to make the other player abide by the rules. The dealer and player completely lost it at that point. I guess they wanted "the kid" to put up with their lack of courtesy.

Needless to say, I found this whole situation highly amusing, as an 80 yr old man (who should be tilt-proof after living so long) and a dealer (who should not be acting this way, as it is unprofessional) were yelling and causing a commotion, while I, a young man, stayed level-headed and spoke objectively the entire time, even while being yelled at/threatened.

....and people wonder why I walk around with a chip on my shoulder!

I have little to no respect for most dealers, by the way. Most do not seem to appreciate the tips they receive, and make no effort to do their job well. A friend of mine won a $5 pot in 1/5 stud one time, and the dealer muttered something under his breath like, "Thanks for the tip." I felt the need to inform our table that the dealer was undeserving of tips, as he was a prick. I feel like tipping is something you do for good service. You don't just give people money because you are supposed to. Somewhere along the way tipping became a given, and those in the service industry decided they no longer had to work to earn those gratuities.

Anyway, I am ranting now, so I'll just stop...

-- Homer

Kurn, son of Mogh
11-25-2002, 06:38 PM
Sharon from Newark, NJ?

HDPM
11-25-2002, 06:44 PM
Brooklyn I thought her nametag said IIRC. But I should know more about her since she will give her life story in one down.

Kurn, son of Mogh
11-25-2002, 06:45 PM
I'm with you on the tipping, Homer. As I've said before, in the restaurant business, an employee who mentions tips to a customer is immediately unemployed. The same should be true for dealers, though good luck in Vegas, where they're all probably in a $^%$ union.

And as an aside, I believe in tipping, and am usually generous, but tipped employees should never lose sight of the fact that tipping is optional.

But then again, I'm a sociopath /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Kurn, son of Mogh
11-25-2002, 06:48 PM
When I was there I remember a Sharon from Newark since I'm originally from NJ myself and I sort of engaged her in aconversation about our home state. Rather robust woman, if I recall (and before anybody trashes that me for that statement, I'm pretty damn robust myself).

HDPM
11-25-2002, 07:04 PM
Nope, different one.

HDPM
11-25-2002, 07:05 PM
Dealers in Las Vegas are most definitely NOT unionized.

budman
11-25-2002, 09:20 PM
I am a generous tipper, and I'll give a $1 tip even if that's my only profit from a hand.

The only time in my life that I have not tipped was to a dealer (who ordinarily worked as a floor man) that dealt me out of a hand when I stood up, but never left my position in front of my seat. The next hand that I won, I did not tip him.

I caught him giving me a dirty look a few times that down. He got his revenge on me several weeks later when he skipped over my name on the list after I had been waiting for over two hours.

What can you do?

youtalkfunny
11-26-2002, 07:42 AM
I wish I could remember this dealer's name. He was dealing at the MGM Grand when it first opened. All I remember about the guy was he was tall, thin, young, and had a terrific voice--I always thought he should've went into radio.

Anyway, here's the line (you've really got to emphasize the last word):

"Sir, please don't throw the cards. We don't do that *here*."

I loved that. It works on so many levels.

Bobby

("Hey, buddy, I don't know what low-life hole you usually play in, where being an A-hole is acceptable, but this is the MGM--show a little class, will ya?")

Kurn, son of Mogh
11-26-2002, 09:47 AM
I'm likely confusing the name

Kurn, son of Mogh
11-26-2002, 09:49 AM
Wow. How come they get left out? Everybody else is /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif