PDA

View Full Version : Stars $5+.5 tight vs loose question

iluzion
05-08-2005, 03:46 PM
Since I'm playing tournies on stars, where theres a much higher starting stack (even in relation to bb's) should I play alot looser than everyone here seems to be recomending for all the party tournies? I've been limping in with almost all pocket pairs and suited connecters, and alot of big offsuite facecards (KJ, QT, etc.), is this wrong? So far it seems to be pretty profitable but is it wrong? Or does it become wrong when I play on party or higher buyin tournies?

elonkra
05-08-2005, 04:33 PM
No. You have a bigger stack, and more time before the blinds double, so you want to play looser?

iluzion
05-08-2005, 04:47 PM
Maybe its just me being really [censored] tired today, but are you agreeing its ok to play looser or not?

beeyjay
05-08-2005, 04:58 PM
I don't know what the games are like. If it was at party I think you could fold into the money with a stack that big but I don't konw what the other players are like there.

Eric Draven
05-08-2005, 05:00 PM
There are 2 main schools of thought:

1) More Chips = Play more hands, bust worst players early as you can outplay them on the flop
2) More Chips = More time to sit back, watch the action, get your money in with a better hand, and in general play better as you won't be forced to go all-in so quickly (like with Party)

Personally I like to play tight early on, build my stack slowly but surely, and loosen up when the blinds get higher and it's down to 3-5 players. I think most around here agree with this school of thought.

iluzion
05-08-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1) More Chips = Play more hands, bust worst players early as you can outplay them on the flop
2) More Chips = More time to sit back, watch the action, get your money in with a better hand, and in general play better as you won't be forced to go all-in so quickly (like with Party)

Personally I like to play tight early on, build my stack slowly but surely, and loosen up when the blinds get higher and it's down to 3-5 players. I think most around here agree with this school of thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes alot of thought, do you play on Stars at all? Or does anyone who plays on stars have advice on what kinda hands I should be playing?

jgunnip
05-08-2005, 06:17 PM
I played on Party but moved to Stars because I liked having the larger stacks to begin with. However, comparatively the only way I loosen up in the early rounds is when I'm on the button where I tend to limp with A9s-AJs, suited broadways, AJ, and KQ.

However on the flip side I don't play low pocket pairs in early position like I did at Party because IMO you just aren't as likely to get paid as much when you hit.

bluefeet
05-08-2005, 07:17 PM
I play stars almost exclusively. I know it's easy to see all those chips and want to splash around a little more, but tight is the way to go IMO. Of course position can dictate what qualifies for 'premium', but I play very very few hands until L3.

More times than not, you'll pick up maybe one decent pot while you exercise your patience - and chances are you'll find only 5 or so left...and you're still sitting above your starting chip count.

During the early rounds, I'll browse 2+2, analyze instant hand history, make notes on the others, etc.

When L3/4 hit, I stil have enough chips to play aggressively. I've also created a table image making it MUCH easier for me to steal blinds, represent missed flops, etc.

Good luck.....

yoadrians
05-08-2005, 07:20 PM
I play exclusively on Stars, and I, too, prefer to play tight in rounds 1-3. Then, when rounds 4 and 5 hit, I open things up a bit, go for steals, re-raises, etc.

I think that's one of the pluses of having more chips ... getting to hang back and pick your spots is much easier to do.

So, yes, on Stars, I prefer to play a little tighter.

bluefeet
05-08-2005, 07:25 PM
Ps. This strategy works especially well on the 6-seaters. I'm a few shy of my 500 to report, but I think you would be pleasantly suprised how well the ultra-tight/aggressive strategy works here...

Eric Draven
05-08-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes alot of thought, do you play on Stars at all? Or does anyone who plays on stars have advice on what kinda hands I should be playing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I play exclusivly on Stars (I tried playing on Party, but I felt I was just waiting to push all in every time I got anykind of hand, there wasn't much skill in my opinion). I play tight until level 3 or 4, depending on how many fishes get eliminated, and how fast my stack grows.

lastchance
05-08-2005, 07:57 PM
I certainly would loosen up with suited connectors on Stars, but KJo and QJo are horrible, horrible limping hands. I can't imagine many situations where limping with these would be any good. I figure you should be somewhere between the party range (AK-AQ, AA-22) and HoH.